Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Will full coverage pay if you wreck at a trackday?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will full coverage pay if you wreck at a trackday?

i dont think it should be covered...my insurance is high enough.If youre on a track pushing your bike to its limits and taking on extra risks,that should be on you.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: BROOKLYN

i dont think it should be covered...my insurance is high enough.If youre on a track pushing your bike to its limits and taking on extra risks,that should be on you.
I fully agree. I was suggesting carrying liability (in case I chose to ride on the street), and comp to protect against fire/theft etc. Collision would be foolish, since if they investigated the claim, there would be no police accident report. WI has to have a report at loss over $1000 (assuming it happens on public roads). If not on public roads, they're going to get inquisitive. So with a $500 deductible, you have a narrow window of coverage without needing some documentation besides your story.

If you said it happened on a track, they would make it difficult regardless of what the fine print says. You wouldn't be the first person who has filed a track-day claim on a 600RR and the companies don't like to pay, so be prepared for many twists and turns trying to get it resolved. If you lied about "where" it happened, that's fraud, and a whole other set of issues.

So again, I think if you rash up your bike on the track, it's really your responsibility. Which is what I intended. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need those that have made truthful insurance claims to chime in.
My last trackday a guy on an R6 went down and the bike burst into flames. I wonder what happened with that.
Side note: Most race orgs require tank protectors on Yamahas for that reason. IDK why they catch fire so often but apparently they do.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180
We need those that have made truthful insurance claims to chime in.
+1. It would be great to know which insurance carriers are track-day friendly, and what if any rate premium they charge for prior knowledge.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 PM
ox.

The r6 catch fire because the tank sticks out past the frame. The tanks hits first gets ripped open and the sparks and fuel do the rest.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: grazi

ORIGINAL: BROOKLYN

I fully agree. I was suggesting carrying liability (in case I chose to ride on the street), and comp to protect against fire/theft etc. Collision would be foolish, since if they investigated the claim, there would be no police accident report. WI has to have a report at loss over $1000 (assuming it happens on public roads). If not on public roads, they're going to get inquisitive. So with a $500 deductible, you have a narrow window of coverage without needing some documentation besides your story.

If you said it happened on a track, they would make it difficult regardless of what the fine print says. You wouldn't be the first person who has filed a track-day claim on a 600RR and the companies don't like to pay, so be prepared for many twists and turns trying to get it resolved. If you lied about "where" it happened, that's fraud, and a whole other set of issues.

So again, I think if you rash up your bike on the track, it's really your responsibility. Which is what I intended. Just my 2 cents.
I couldn't disagree more - I think riding on the track is far safer than riding on the street. I will absolutely grant you that people crash more often at the track, but 9 out of 10 times, the damage to the bike, and the rider is LESS severe. This means the financial exposure for the insurance company is lower at the track than on the street.

it's all about how you word your claim. I wouldn't use the word "track" anywhere. "closed course" is just as accurate. And track days are absolutely not a 'race' or 'race practice.' The event organizers make that very clear at ever riders' meeting. I'm sure they'd be happy to confirm that with your insurance company.

what if you filed a claim after dropping your bike taking the MSF course? in my mind, a track day is a highly advanced MSF course. You're improving your riding skills in a safe environment. This makes you an inherently SAFER rider, not more dangerous.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Buddy of mine took his Daytona 675 to a track day at Willows Springs last year. He lowsided on turn 5 doing about 60-70mph. Did a lot of damage. He was insured by AAA and they covered it. He told them he was on a "closed and controled course", not a competitive event, and was there to improve his riding skills.

Track days are getting more and more popular, so you should read the fine print as I don't think covrage like that will last.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an interesting story to share:

Because I wanted to know the truth about this subject as it pertains to my policy I called my insurance company. I learned that language is very important. When people don't understand you, sometimes it's best to not explain. Also when they don't understand they will use the wrong language.

Long story short, the secretary that took my question asked about racing school, which resulted in my policy being cancelled. After speaking directly to the agent, it got fixed but not without my pressure going up.

They understand Rider Improvement School. They misunderstand "Trackday". Even if you specifically tell them that it is NOT competitive. The agent specifically told me that the schoolsWOULD be covered.

So after I see the paperwork that they're sending me verifying that my policy was reinstated without penalty, then I can breathe easier. Don't make my mistake.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 AM

it's absolutely 'grey area.'

I could argue both sides of it all day long - so I hope on one is offended by my previous (and future) comments. I enjoy a good debate and definitely don't fault anyone for disagreeing with me.

If there's one thing that preparing for law school has taught me, it's that people WILL disagree with you - but you've got to let them, and respect their opinions. after all, they have every right to be wrong :P (kidding - please save your flaming for the guys riding in flip-flops w/o a helmet on)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 PM

I have never been a fan of insurance companies, so trying to argue with them to let you give them your money to cover a track bike is stupid in my opinion. (not trying to call you stupid)

say they over your bike for 400 a month full coverage, including track days. you take the bike out to the track a few times in a year and one of those times you wreck and it beats the bike up pretty bad, bent forks or something, 3 grand to fix it all. you call up insurance, argue with them to give you money to fix it. you still have paid them 4800 that year to insure the bike. so you are still out 1800 compared to just saving your money and fixing it as needed, plus the hassle of having to deal with the insurance company.

insure a brand new bike that you are making payments on, its the smart thing to do. but its just not beneficial to you to insure a track bike.

does anyone know if health insurance covers track days, that's what I care about, bike are cheap to fix, I am not.

Quick Reply: Will full coverage pay if you wreck at a trackday?