Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

"Try the Track" Event with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Try the Track" Event with Pics

Here’s the deal on my ½ day at the track. I didn’t want to spend a bunch of dough on a track day without knowing if I would enjoy it or not. So TrackAddix had a “Try the Track” deal. You go for ½ day and have a class, walk the track, another class, and then track time. You only get 20 mins of track time, but the cost was only $25.00 (plus you get a $25 coupon for their track school).

The other thing was, you didn’t have to do anything special to your bike. No taping of the lights or safety wire or anything else.

Well, turns out only 2 people including myself signed up for this. So when it came time for our 20 mins, there was me and another rider I didn’t know named Mike and the 2 instructors. The instructors said they would go slow and watch us and see what our skill level was and increase speeds accordingly – but for us to not push our abilities. The lead instructor went, then Mike, then me, then the trailing instructor.

After a few laps, I wanted to pass Mike but couldn’t remember if they said passing was OK or not. The lead instructor would turn and watch us and could see on the straight way that I could pass, but wasn’t. So on the next lap, he motioned me to go ahead and I did. After that, I never saw Mike and the trailing instructor until our track time was over.

For those that have done the track before, you know how fun it is. For those that haven’t and think it might even be the least bit fun, find an event like Try the Track and do it. Heck, it’s only $25 and you get to watch all the other bikes and riders, attend a couple of classes on how the track works and what’s expected out of you, and then 20 minutes of pure fun!!

I now know that the track is a blast and that I want to spend the money for a full day. The next step is to take a Track School – which consists of alternating in the mornings between classes and track time, then the afternoon is track sessions with instructors watching and giving tips and advice. Once you get certified for the track, you can go to track days without any classrooms. TrackAddix staff said their track school averages $195 and Track days averaged $150, depending on the track rental fees.

TrackAddix staff were very good. Safety was their number one concern and they ran a tight ship. Gateway International is not the best venue for Motorcycle racing, but it’s all we got here in St. Louis.

All in all, I was very pleased with the whole experience and the process of learning what track days were all about. I'll definately go back and take the school and then start enjoying more track days.

Here are a few pictures from my track time. The pics aren't that great, but there wasn't any good spots for my wife to get the good pictures.

Me and Mike:

Getting Ready To Go:

GO!

First Lap:

Back Side:

Down the Straight:

The Lead Instructor and Me:

Coming Into the Pit Area:

Pit #2:

Getting Instruction from the Instructor (I can't wipe the grin off of my face):

Well - Sorry this turned out to be such a long post, but I got rather pumped by my experience. I would highly recommend TrackAddix and their Try The Track event.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Try the Track" Event with Pics

you're so in for it now mang....you're gonna be addicted!

how did the scooter do? hahahah

Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM

Yah, I shoulda known you'd ask that question, Tahoe!

I never even realized that guy was there. When I saw him in the pic, I asked my wife who the heck he was and where he came from.

You're right. Even the instructor said they were giving us the first piece of "crack" for free - just so we'd get addicted and keep coming back.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:12 PM

+1 hooked

That was the best $25 you spent... I wish they had track time that cheap around here... I'd sign up everyweekend to have some solo instruction.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:18 PM

Yeah, it turned out great that only two of us signed up. You talk about personalized instruction. When we were in the class they said they sometimes have as many as 25 in the Try The Track event.

I'm still grinning. My wife keeps looking at me and shaking her head. She knows I'm hooked too!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:20 PM

Hey fat guy, I live KC. Does Track Addix travel and if so can you give me a number to call or some way to get ahold of them. Im wanting to do track days next year and it sounds like they are the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: roketfreek

Hey fat guy, I live KC. Does Track Addix travel and if so can you give me a number to call or some way to get ahold of them. Im wanting to do track days next year and it sounds like they are the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Here is their website:
TrackAddix Event Schedule

I sent them an email one night and asked some questions and they responded with all the infor very quickly the next morning.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 AM

yea if you check the price, $25 for 20 mins of track time is steep but given all the instruction you got with it...and pretty much 1 on 1...it's the world's cheapest track school...ever!

are you ready to run a whole day at the track now....you're going to be so tired after, but guarantee that you'll have another grin that will make your wife jealous!

hhahhaa...i love it when people hijack pictures like the scooter guy...hhahhaha

Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 AM

20 minutes of track time is like 20 minutes of foreplay...I would have left the track with "blue *****!!!"

I agree with everyone else, prepare yourself for thinking about nothing else except getting back on the track! Glad you enjoyed it!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 AM

I'm already looking for a used enclosed trailer and a pickup to pull it with! This is gonna get expensive because Gateway doesn't have many track days and I'll have to go near Chicago, Indiana, or Iowa. I don't mind, I just have to get everything lined up.

I'm looking for a good used enclosed trailer. Big enough to put both the Goldwing and the 1000RR in so I can use it for vacations with the wife too. If anyone knows of such a beast, lemme know. I figure I can also use it for weekend runs to Deals Gap with some of my buddies.

Thanks,
Duane

Quick Reply: "Try the Track" Event with Pics