Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Transporting or just riding to the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting or just riding to the track

I plan on doing my fist track day next spring and i was wondering what method do some people use to transport there bike to the track?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Hauling the bike in the bake of the truck works great! If I go with my uncle I put it in his trailer. I would not recommend riding your bike over there for a few different reasons. One you will have to spend some time preping your bike so it can be on the track, you can either do that at home or at the track. Two It is exhausting riding at a track and tbh - as bad as it is - it is much easier and safe to drive home tired than ride home. To add to that always have someone else with you, better if they aren't riding, in case something happens to you, you have someone there to help and take care of you. Third, if something happens to the bike and you rode the bike there, then you are stranded without a ride or way to get the bike back. All in all, the track is a blast and worth all the effort! There are a lot of checklists out there, I use a pretty generic one that I can give you. Otherwise there is a ton of info out there so don't stop asking questions!! Good luck and we love photos.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 AM

You know where I can a hauler?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM

you can rent a Uhaul trailer for ~$35 for the day, so definitely haul it there, not only because if you crash you'll be stranded, but you can only carry so much with you on the bike. as cjardine said, there are checklists out there to let you know what you should bring. But the basics are LOTS of water/powerade/gatorade, the last thing you want is to get dehydrated, lose concentration and crash. bring plenty of snacks and food to eat, you will be exhausted by the end of the day. chairs are a must, and a canopy is great to have to get out of the sun. Also a good idea to bring some tools along just in case.

And last but not least...STRETCH before each session, having two cramped legs for a 20-25 minute session is terrible. Learn from my mistake

Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented an open "Uhaul" trailer for $15 a day in 2011. Things to take, cooler full of water, snack/food, just in case the snack bar/little cafe is closed. Shade, shade, shade, if the track has electricity a fan and extension cords are nice if its HOT! Tools ,chairs, and a pit crew/relative is nice. adivil/aspriin. The list goes on and on. RoadRacing World has trackday directory comes out in the spring, look for it on the magazine rack at stores.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Pit crew? Really my fist day and I have ppl to work for me? Lol

Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Well that pit crew is family/friends, it just helps to have a second set of hands. Wife (supportive) or kid makes the best.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Killerdimpler
I plan on doing my fist track day next spring and i was wondering what method do some people use to transport there bike to the track?
I built one of those Harbour Freight trailers to get my bike to the track. Not the fanciest hauler but it does the job I need and it folds up out of the way when not in use. I would suggest going the trailer rental route your first time and if you decide to make regular trips to the track then work on your own hauler.

Also, If there's a forum for local riders in your area then sometimes you can hook up with other riders going to the track and share trailer space.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also built a Harbor Freight Trailer that came in a box. Bought it in 2011, with one of those 20% off coupons it came to $257 out the door. But because its a kit with no title, it comes with a certificate of origin, its just like building one out of scrap metal so to speak. Gotta take pictures, get an officer of the law to look at it and sign off that it looks ok to him. That all goes to the DMV etc. PITA, but it nice not having to load in a truck of renting a trailer. This is in West Virginia, but I guess it all depends on where you live.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 AM

Can u show me some pics please?
I am hell bent on going to the track every weekend!! I have this need to be the best I can be and hopefully I will be good enough to be in a race at the end of the summer.

Quick Reply: Transporting or just riding to the track