Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Trackday Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday Setup Questions

So, I'm doing a "try the track" program this weekend. Not a full blown track day, but some classroom and riding.
What would be ideal tire pressures front/rear? Do I want to go firmer of softer than what I ride on the street with? What about suspension setup as far as rebound/compression - firmer or softer since I'm guessing it's a smooth track surface?
Or should I just leave all settings and tire pressures like normal?

Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Default RE: Trackday Setup Questions

tire pressures depend on what tires your using, it would be best to talk to a race tire vendor of that brand. Generally speaking track pressures will be a little lower than street pressures to provide more grip at the expense of tire life (free grip would just be way to easy wouldn't it? lol). Most likely the pressures you're running on the street will do fine for a first trackday though.

what tires are you using?

as for suspension you should ride with what you're used to and change if it becomes a problem
if the suspension starts acting funky talk an instructor or someone with a lot of experience to help you (a suspension tech is best if there is one at the track)

some tracks are smooth some are rough and some just have some odd things thrown in (jumping the curbing at Barber for example) so that can be an issue too

Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info Woody. I'm running the OEM Diablo Corsas...only have about 1800 miles on them and not squared off or anything. I'm not planning on running it really hard, so it should be good. How many pounds would you drop in pressure from normal street pressure?
As far as the suspension, I'll probably leave it as is. Got it set right where I want it after lots of adjusting since I got the bike several months ago. Not too sure of the tracks condition though.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:19 AM

I ran 30/30 on my pilot powers...but you can ask the tech guys that does the inspection at the track...
on suspension setups...I don't know about where you're at but here in California there's always someone at the track that does suspension setups all day...they usually charge $40-$50...I strongly recommend you do the setups by professionals...it makes a world of difference...

Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

31/30
about time you going to the track ****.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:56 PM

I wouldnt worry about bike setup for a try the track program. I went last month to a team promotion try the track and what we did was follow an instructor around the track for 6 laps. and thats IT.
The pace was relatively slow, I left my normal tire pressure which is 32 front 34 read and i was fine.

Remamber, try the track is usually follow the leader format and the pace is usually fairly slow.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 AM

In the try the track programs that I've seen... you'll never get anywhere near speed to feel any differences in supension and tire pressure changes. Leave everything as normal.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 AM

that's gonna be really boring than...goto a real trackday!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:09 AM

lol 6 laps, never mind just run what ya got

Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

lol 6 laps, never mind just run what ya got
Isn't that kind of like saying you're only riding to the corner store, so you don't need your helmet?

I did the Try The Track program with TrackAddix at Gateway last year and we got up to speeds over 130. I would think anything you could do to improve your bike for those speeds would be worth it, especially if you aren't used to riding that fast.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Trackday Setup Questions