Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Track day gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day gear?

Hey guys, Ive been riding for about 2 years now and i think its about time for a track day . So i wanted to know what kinda gear do i need to get to be prepaired for it? Am i going to need a full suit? Any certain gloves,boots, etc. Please recommend anything that i might want/need.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: Track day gear?

a full one piece suit is required at almost every track that has a track day event so start there....you also have to have a gauntlet style glove (the kind that covers past your wrist) and a good pair of riding boots. also you will need to prep your bike for the track such as safety wiring everything and changing out your antifreeze to water only and all that jazz lol there is a lot more as far as prepping your bike for the track but i havent memorized the rule book for jennings lol.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanx mang! Looks like i needa start saving up fast lol. Any brands of gear that i should stay away from? Ive looked around alot and im really liking the look of alpinestars, so im really thinking about going with them. Any big perferences?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 PM

one rule: you get what you pay for... i would look at joe rocket suits, and gloves and alpinestar boots..... and some armour. but start witht he suit first its gonna be the most expensive piece but it will save your *** so spenda good amout ofmoney on it lol somewhere in the 500-700 dollar range will be sufficient

Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 PM

yea i was think that no matter how much i spend...its gotta be cheaper than skin lol. I went to JenningsGP site looking for safety wiring requirements, and could not find any. Could you point me toward something or explain what it is that i would need to do?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 AM

I was in Cycle Gear today (which is normally a no-no for me) and they have some of last years Teknic suits on a blow out for $319, which is a damn steal. I looked in the catalog at my store and dealer cost was $580 and retail $799.

Oh, and keep in mind some track day organizers will rent you gear if you do not own it. Cheap way to get on the track. Sportbiketracktime.com usually does this.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:06 AM

most tracks/orgs don't require safety wiring for Novices but it is a very very good idea
it can take hours to clean oil off the track and everybody there paid very good money to ride
you should wire your oil drain plug, oil fill cap, and oil filter minimum. Hereis a great how-to on safety wiring
coolant swap is easy, just use distilled water and water wetter its pretty easy just takes a little time to do it right

as for gear, +1 to "you get what you pay for" but I definitely disagree with getting Joe Rocket ANYTHING their stitching SUCKS and has a bad habbit of collapsing at the mention of pavement

I like Spidi or Komodo leathers. Spidi imo makes the best leathers out there, but they can be expensive. A good suit will last you several crashes, a -$500 suit will usually last one crash maybe 2 before you have to replace it. A good suit can last quite a few crashes and even then can usually be repaired fairly cheap. My current Spidi's have been through 5 crashes now (3 were me, 2 from previous owner)

Sidi boots are all I wear, amazing stuff!

gloves are completely personal preference. I like Alpinestar GP-Tech gloves, some people hate them. Alpinestars seems to have the best gloves and quite a few different ones to choose from so you can find something that works for you.

BUY A BACK PROTECTOR, there are quite a few different ones to choose from but just wear something!Nothing ruins aday at the track more than permanent paralysis...

also make sure your helmet fits right, too many riders wind up with broken noses or worse after crashing with a loose fitting helmet

Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 AM

I was looking at some of the spidi and Komodo gear right b4 i came back lol. Man there is so much to choose from. Thanks for the great advice woody, its good to have some insight before i actually consider investing. Me and some of my friends are gonna try to attend as many track days as possible, so we might as well not skimp on the gear. Do you go to alot of track days woody, or just races?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just sold a spidi slider suit...$150 shipped...great condition, 2 crashes and still so much left...first was on dirt and then shortly on pavement, second was all dirt.
not all trackday orgs require 1 piece...so it really depends where you're at. here on the west coast, 2 piece that zip together is fine.

you're way overdue for starting trackday...should be done in the first year ;-)

Old 02-26-2007, 03:52 PM

yea ive been wanting to do a track day for a while, mostly been waiting on my friend to get a bike so he can come with lol. Ive pretty much decided to gowith a one-piece suit, just gotta save up the cashfor it. Next thing i have to look into is where i can go, i live in southern mississippi, and i really dont know what tracks are near me, but thats really just some research on my part.

Quick Reply: Track day gear?