Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

thinking of going to the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of going to the track

i am thinking about signing up for a trackday at beaver run.

i was reading their manuel with what is reuqired of your bike. it would be with nesba. i am unsune about a few things regarding tech inspection.

it says your break bads should be in good condition or 50% i think it says. how do i know if my break pads are in good condition with out taking them off? if i pull in my break lever it has a point where its pulled in and you can feel the pads rubbing on the rotor so you have to squeez more. its not a big gap but i dont know.

also it says belly pan are requried. i think it may be for just advanced group as with the saftey wiring but i am not sure. if not how do you put one of these in? where do you buy?

these are the only 2 things i am woundering about. everything else seams like things that are fine.

i am fat so i am not trying to get leathers but a 2 peice textile suit, any recommendations. i also need boots and gauntlets and maybe a back protector.

what should i take? food, drinks, gas, money. what else would you recomend is required?

any info would be great. thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Default RE: thinking of going to the track

If it's at BeaveRun with NESBA, I will probably be there - i know i'm scheduled there in mid july and in august...

You just need your brakes to be working well. they're not going to check the pad life, but if you have any doubt, you're better off replacing them. Or BRING replacement pads. Odds are that you're fine, but if not, you can have someone help you replace them in the morning or at lunch and probably only miss one session.

Your brake lever cannot touch the handle-bar when you pull it in. that would be a 'fail' right away. hopefully you have a lot more pad-life than that! Are your pads squeeling under hard braking? they will when they start to wear out. (you also need a functioning rear brake to pass tech - you shouldn't be using it unless you go off the track, but it does have to be working for such an occassion)

belly pans are definitely not required. in any NESBA group actually - only for racing. It just says that if you DO have a belly pan, you must remove it for them to inspect your bike.

I would not trust a textile suit - Rent a leather suit. i promise there is or has been someone bigger than you who fit into one. There is one guy I know who is plenty big and plenty fast. we joke that he and his bike are approaching a 1:1 weight ratio. it's getting less and less funny.

boots and gloves can be found pretty cheap (on closeout) at www.ironpony.com You don't need carbon fiber knuckle pads... you do need them to cover your wrists. Boots will run you at least $100, and probably more like $250 - again, look for closeouts.

A back protector is not required, but it's a smart idea. i got mine on clearance for $40.

one thing you didn't mention - your helmet has to be no more than 5 years old (i think 3 is safter) and must be DOT and SNELL 2005 approved. They've not checked that on mine, but it's your head.

Bring sun screen, gator aid, water, food (although you can usually buy lunch), a lawn chair, and beer to share (or thank someone for helping you replace your brake pads).

Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM

almost forgot - you mentioned bringing gas. Do so. How much depends on if you're only doing 1 day or 2, but you WILL come burn through a full tank in a day, and no one wants to be the guy who ran out of gas and wasted track time having the crash truck come get him! I fill my tank to the top and bring a 5 gallon can. as you get faster, you'll run out more quickly. You can buy gas at the track, but it's ridiculously expensive. last i looked at BeaveRun's prices, regular was $6/gallon, and this is when gas was only $3/gallon at 'regular' stations - that was for the lowest octane btw. their 'race' gas was $12/gallon, and i'm sure it's higher than that now.

as you noted, safety wiring is not required, but it will go a long way with the other riders if you're diligent about checking your drain plug and oil filter. Before each session would be best. Beginning of the day and at lunch at the least.

the NESBA forum nearly got a little bit ugly when someone put oil down on the track in the first session and caused a multi-bike wreck. could have easily been prevented.

i promise it's mroe fun than i'm making it sound

Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said (minus the beer....IDK any org that permits alchohol anwhere at any time at the track...or pits)

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 AM

STT and NESBA don't care about beer as long as you're not an idiot. Beer is the preferred method of payment for borrowing tools

I was told, "if you drink, you are done. ...but the opposite is also true."

basically keep beer out of sight until the track is CLOSED for the day. I've learned as much from track coaches or 'control riders' over beers as I have on the track. And keep in mind that you have to be up at 6:30 the next morning.

if there's any doubt about the rules, leave the beer at home, but I tihnk you'll find most 'rules' banning alcohol at events are to cover the asses of the administration - so if you do something really stupid, they can say, "well he was in violation of our rules."