Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Super secret squirrel stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super secret squirrel stuff...

So I've got $2000 cash and access to more if I find the right deal - but I'm looking for a title-less bike to convert to a track bike.

I'm really wanting to get into racing and I sold my girlfriends bike to buy one to convert (she's riding mine... for now).

I've hunted all over Craigslist in over 10 states - not having much luck. Everyone wants way too much for a FI bike with no title. So I'm wondering...

Is there some super-select circle of people who know where to find this stuff? I really want to be competitive not just track days - I'm thinking a FI bike is the way to go. I'd run my F3 but I know those guys out there are going to be running RR's and F4i's with tons of experience - I'd like to take as much of the edge off as possible.

Also- I think I need a mentor or sorts - I have no idea where to start. I've looked and looked at all the Pro/Am track sites and can find rules, point standings and payouts but not where to get started racing for points. Surely I must belong to some organization (NESBA, CCS, WERA, etc.).

If anyone can help me find a bike or get me some more information - that would be awesome. Realistically, I want to start next season - but I need to get moving. I'd like to get into some of the races this year so I can have a hand up next year but I need a bike to start.

Also - pinning and wiring - no clue where to start. If anyone can help or would mind answering some questions please drop me a line mhanshaw@stjoelive.com

Thanks for your guys' time and hopefully someone can help me out here...

Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Super secret squirrel stuff...

dude...racing is VERY bling...you can put everything else aside like house, marriage, etc...so you can fund it...or get a sponsor.

as for 2K on a race bike or a well built track bike...not likely. they can part out a few things on the bike alone and get that.

have you tried the 3x forums yet?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 PM

if you want to race competitively in the 600 novice class with WERA, you need a newer very well prepped 600, a $2,000 bike probably won't do the job

the F3 is a great bike for racing in the V7 classes, grids are usually small and you don't race against newer 600s

you might also consider an SV, you can find a 99-02 race prepped for dirt cheap. They're bullet proof bikes and aren't expensive to race (tire bill is a good bit easier on the wallet than racing a 600). Thegrids are smaller but very competitive. The good thing about this class is that a 99 is just as competitive as an 06

whatever you decide check the WERA board for good deals on race prepped bikes

what do you need to know exactly?

basically you get your bike and gear, do a race school that gets you a "provisional" race license, then show up for a race weekend with a bright colored shirt over your leathers. Race the weekend (maybe 2 weekends depending on org/what school you took) without crashing and they'll give you a race license

Old 07-11-2007, 01:12 PM

will they let you on with a bright pink shirt?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM

what is an FI bike with no title...is this means it could've been stolen?...

Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 PM

fuel injected bike with no title...meaning they sell him the bike and they don't even rightfully own it...hmmm...

hey i got a bike for you then! hahahahahah

Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

No no no- easy killer.

No title means it's not important. Over my dead body would I ride/race someone's stolen bike, don't think so, vato. There are salvage titles, titles of destruction - whatever from state to state it's generally something like that. I don't care about that.

As far as $2000 going for a race bike, hahahaha - yeah,the ONLYthingI do know about racing it's the bikes and they're costly upgrades.

For example: wrecked 2003 600RR, forks trashed, frame/swingarm straight. Stator/clutch cover needs replaced. Needs all plastic and headlight assembly is trashed. Salvage title = $2000.

That would be great, haha.

Anyway, I can only get experience this year and all I need is a bike to do that. I can actually get competitive once I have a bike worth tossing racing equipment on. Anyway, I'll check the the WERA site for tracks hosting the racing schools like you were talking about.

Any specific tracks come to mind from the midwest? I've heard Mid-America more than a handfull of times but their site doesn't say crap. Thanks for all the help, guys.

And about the being broke thing, I'm always broke. Every time I get into something I spend every penny I have on it.

I might as well have something to, "show" for it other than a bunch of gadgets, electronics and motorcycles/dirtbikes. I'm seriously thinking about quitting my job and finding a low-paying job sweeping floors somewere near a decent track.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

Also, should I start in a lower-cc class? Or should I just hit the 600's?

Hmm... seems like a stupid question but the funny thing is I don't know the answer...

Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 PM

i wouldn't start in the 600 class, its just nuts
I don't know anything about the racing in that area, not sure if there is a track in MO, Mid-America is north, Autobahn is in Illinois, Heartland Park is in Kansas

Old 07-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

So should I redirect my efforts to finding a 250cc? 125cc? I don't even know where to look for bikes like that (other than like an NSR or something). I can't seem to find it on the WERA site...

Quick Reply: Super secret squirrel stuff...