Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Super Bike School

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Bike School

I was just wondering if any of you guys went to the Super Bike School here in Cali. I was thinking about attending this thing but I had alot of questions. In the program they allow you to use there 2006 zx-6r or you could bring your own bike. (I have a '02 f4i) Which would be better? If you fall on one of there bikes do you have to pay for the damages? Which program would you recommend, the 2 day courseor the 1 day course?Did any of you bring your f4i to the course and how did you like it?I read theprevious Super Bike School posts but none of them really answered these questions.

here's the link if you want to check it out
http://www.superbikeschool.com/

Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Default RE: Super Bike School

ORIGINAL: whiteflash

I was just wondering if any of you guys went to the Super Bike School here in Cali. I was thinking about attending this thing but I had alot of questions. In the program they allow you to use there 2006 zx-6r or you could bring your own bike. (I have a '02 f4i) Which would be better? If you fall on one of there bikes do you have to pay for the damages? Which program would you recommend, the 2 day courseor the 1 day course?Did any of you bring your f4i to the course and how did you like it?I read theprevious Super Bike School posts but none of them really answered these questions.

here's the link if you want to check it out
http://www.superbikeschool.com/
I don't know anything about the school, but I know I would much rather go on my bike than theirs. Doesn't make sense to take an advanced class to teach you how to handle your bike better on one you don't ride.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM

for a full on school, use their bike. There is certainly merit to using your own bike since that will be what your going to be riding when you do future trackdays and all, BUT for a school, you have 1 or 2 days that you CAN'T MISS ANYTHING. If you have a mechanical issue or crash your own bike, your done unless you can fix/repair it. Use one of their bikes and have a mechanical issue or crash, they pull another one out for you. Also their bikes will usually be properly setup and fully prepped for the track where most new track riders will not have an optimum suspension setup and probably won't be safety wired and generally prepped as well.

also, its VERY usefull to be on the same bike as other students/instructors. That way, everybody is on the same playing field and the actual instruction goes much better.

Just an example, I did the Freddie Spencer school a couple years ago. They require you to use their bikes, no option for bringing your own. Because the pavement at miller was new, when we parked our bikes to get some water, several fell over when kickstands started sinking into the new asphalt. Several broken clutch levers, a shifter or two, etc. They pulled out the box of spares and in 5 minutes had us all back on track. Had those been individuals with different bikes, some may not have had extra levers or shifters and may have had to end their weekend for something that minor.

For schools, imo, the focus should be on learning techniques. Your not paying them to teach you how to ride YOUR motorcycle properly, your paying them to teach you how to ride A MOTORCYCLE properly. You can use trackdays for getting to know your bike.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM

Very well said....

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM

I have several freinds that are instrucors at Keith's school. You should ride their bikes for the reasons woody mentions above if you can afford it. Take the SV650 not the ZX6. I am told that it is far more aparent to the instructors what your shortcomings are on the SV than the ZX6. It is down on power and forces you to be alot smoother and carry more speed though the turns. You will get more out of the school on that bike imo.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Woody, that's almost the opposite position I would have taken. The way you explain it, then you're an idiot for taking your own bike.

IMHO, there is a LOT to learn in a school. Bring or ride school's bike shouldn't be that simplistic as you make it seem. But there is merit in riding one's own machine just from the perspective of having known equipment. If the rider is at the point in his development that he can do something on the machine without thinking then it's free brain cycles that can be used for learning the curriculum and not feeling out the machine.

On the other hand, some people are soooo freaked out about crashing their own bike that their nerves don't allow them to absorb much. That person is better off at a less formal school than 2 days at Keith Code.

But If a student is doing the 2 day camp, IIRC the price includes their bike as well as other bikes. And yes a damage deposit is required. According to what I've read, they have a good crash record with students, as well as the Spencer School IIRC; they keep a tight reign on ya that way.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 PM

i wish i had a superbike school near me damn virginia

Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check their schedule If I'm not mistaken they are coming to ViR as well as a few other more accessible tracks. If that isn't good enough a few dollars to burn some JP-4 should get you anywhere you need.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Wow Woody, that's almost the opposite position I would have taken. The way you explain it, then you're an idiot for taking your own bike.

IMHO, there is a LOT to learn in a school. Bring or ride school's bike shouldn't be that simplistic as you make it seem. But there is merit in riding one's own machine just from the perspective of having known equipment. If the rider is at the point in his development that he can do something on the machine without thinking then it's free brain cycles that can be used for learning the curriculum and not feeling out the machine.
First off, I also said their is merit to riding your own bike...
then I said why I don't think that is the best option in a school setting
Simplistic? maybe, but I wasn't asked to write a book here...

secondly, IF you were doing a school where they start the day by telling you to go out on the track and go as fast as you can, then yeah I would agree, using your own bike would be better because you wouldn't have to concentrate on figuring out how to go fast on a new bike. I would also suggest if you find yourself at a school like that, you run immediately far away because that is NOT how a good school is run, whether your using their bike or your own. These schools we're talking about start out slowly and start with drills. By the time you actually get to the point of needing to be "comfortable" on a bike, you'll already be plenty comfortable with it.
After all, its still a motorcycle and its not like your jumping from a scooter to a MotoGP bike. All you have to be able to do is make it around the race track practicing their techniques, being "comfortable" on a bike is only helpful when your going fast and pushing hard, which is NOT what these schools are about.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM
stx

lots of good insight fellas, I did the keith code last year, as much as I love my f4i I really liked trying out the zx6, In the beginner class (which I was in) I think everybody had a kc bike, you did see personal bikes in the more experienced track riders. I would recomend thinking about gettingyour own gear (suit, boots)I would have to bet that after the school your going to be addicted, as I was and still am and all the other people I talk to....

Quick Reply: Super Bike School