Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Homestead

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homestead

First off, when did you think it was the right time to take your bike to the track? In other words, how soon did your CBR become your track bike?

Second, what's your opinion on Homestead? It's the closest track to me as I live in FLL. I haven't gone to check it out up-close yet, but I noticed it was on the way to Key Largo on my last trip, which is very cool. I've seen it on Google Earth

Here's a little more about me. I have 10K miles under my belt on the last bike, and I've just put over 1K miles on my 09 CBR 600 in the last month. I'm pretty comfortable with it already, but perfectionist that I am I'd prefer to spend at least a year learning precise throttle/clutch control and cornering on my own. I'm a very controlled rider on the road, but I plan to unleash this beast on the track and try my hand at racing since that's what I bought it for in the first place. I've also gotten the run-down on procedures before showing up - water wetter, remove signals, tape lights, bike up to spec, etc.

So here's another question: Will I be any safer or better a rider by doing a track day sooner than later? or does it not really matter when I finally go? It's already past the break-in period, so I could open it up any time now. I'd prefer to wait at least until after summer though since it's so hot and humid. Any advice or perspective is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 92seca2; 07-12-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Well first off I am going to say that I am not sure what type of track day you mean and that the only track days I know about are road racing, not quarter mile. I don't think straight racing will teach you anything about overall riding.

I don't know about the particular track you speak of, but do it anyway. Track riding is safer and 1000x's more fun. Find a track day that has beginner/intermediate/advanced groups and join the beginner. You will be fine and you will learn more in 1 track day than you will 5 years on the street. The only thing I would say to do before the track if you want a head start is to read a book called "Twist of the Wrist 2".

Keep in mind too that the track is expensive. Make sure you have full gear and that it is good. Put aside at LEAST 1000 dollars for gear. On top of that get ready to chew up your tires fast. You will only get about 2 track days out of a rear tire, maybe 3 until you get fast.

Either way, if you can, DO IT. And have fun.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Default wow

Good lord, only 2-3 track days for my rear tire and it's out? Wow. Good to know I guess. How long does the front tire last? I already have a good helmet, leather gauntlet gloves and shin-high boots, so all I really need is a suit. If I have the option, I'd like to rent a ladies' suit there to see how it fits and get my own later.

I assume if Dainese is good enough for Rossi, it's good enough for me: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...13290-631-40_G I've got my eye on the white one. If only these came in white: http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/v...idproduct=3205 Anyway, that's later on. I'll have a lot of trying on and shopping around to do before I decide on the suit, let alone upgrade to better boots and gloves.

"Twist of the Wrist 2" sounds familiar. Keith Code, right? Sounds like a valuable read. He always has good insight in his MotorCyclist articles. I'll get right on that. Thanks, Dissevered!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 AM

You may get anywhere from 3-6 days out of a front tire depending on skill level. The fast guys brake so hard and enter turns so hard that it puts a lot of wear on the front. These are just estimates and since you only have a little experience on the street even, I would say not to worry much about tires at this point. You will be spending your first day or 2 just feeling out the track and taking it easy. Just make sure you go in there with lots of tread and tires that are still round in shape. Not flat down the middle, like what happens when you ride on the street too much.

They do come in white
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIDI-VERTIGO-L...617183002r5835

Dainese makes good suits... pretty much anything above 500 dollars will be fine for you. Go for fit... A 2000 dollar suit that doesn't fit properly will not protect you as well as a 200 dollar suit that does fit properly.

Yep Keith Code. It is a great book. After I read it I felt 10x's more comfy moving fast on a bike. It will give you the stuff you need to get started on the track.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Default alright!

Woohoo! White Vertigo Lei boots! I'm stoked. I'm just now getting into white gear, and damn those look nice. I agree about getting gear that fits well too. If the armor's in the wrong place or it just doesn't fit right, then it's pretty pointless. Anyway, the white goes really well with the black bike.

You're probably right about tire life for me initially. I still have chicken strips, but the red lines are still clearly visible and the tires are still very round with plenty of tread. I can shift my weight and head over in favor of a turn, but can't get my knee out yet. Not down, just sticking out. I'm not pushing it though since I'd rather learn that on a track anyway, and that's probably where I'll finally get rid of the strips.

Gotta get that book. Any videos you recommend?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM

I never watched any videos so no advice there.

One more thing about boots, I am not sure if you are looking to save a few bucks but Oxtar makes nice but cheap boots. Sidi's are quite expensive. I have a pair of Oxtars, paid 99 bucks for them brand new, and they will hold up as well as any 300 dollar boot.

Don't worry about the knees, if that is your goal, it will distract you from everything else. Just work on body positioning and being smooth, then the knee hits and you didn't even know it was gonna happen.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM

I can say that you would learn a lot more about riding at Jennings than you would Homestead. Homestead is mostly straights.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Default hmm

I'll keep Jennings in mind. For now though, Homestead is much closer to me. I'd be able to ride out to a track day and get back home in time for dinner Plus I haven't done any track days at all, so I don't mind starting out with something more basic. I have looked into the California SuperBike school, and if I were to travel long-distance for a class, it would be that one. Supposedly it comes as close as Barbur in AL. I saw that track from inside the museum and it looked great.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Default got it!

Dissevered, my knee came out all on its own today! I did just what you said - focus on body positioning and being smooth in my corners - and it just came out naturally. It felt really cool for that to happen in the middle of a beautiful curve. There are some great low-speed chicanes up in West Palm along the beach, and they've been great training for me in smooth transitioning. It's all starting to click. Thanks for the advice man.

Anyway, as far as track time goes, it looks like there are 3 more for me this year. The next one is in Palm Beach on August 9th. Then it's September 13th in Homestead, and then November 29th in Homestead again. Both Homestead and Palm Beach are about equidistant from me, so either one will work. I won't make the next one just cuz business was slow this summer, so I'm looking at either September or November. I wouldn't mind November since it's much cooler out, and hey it's the day before my birthday! What a coincidence.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Well that didn't take long... you learn fast. Just be safe

I just had a track day on Friday. Legs are freaking killing me lol. It's time for a new bike too... F2 18 year old suspension just isn't cutting it. I almost lost the bike a few times lol

Quick Reply: Homestead