Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Whats so wrong with power wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats so wrong with power wheelies?

Should you stand up on the foot pegs (I don't mean on the passenger pegs). or sit down. I have tried a few power wheelies with my *** at the back of my seat but didnt get them very high. I have also been told dont pull up, just to preload the shocks, is pulling up that bad?

Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 AM

I,ve been doing them sitting down but I've read they are easier to do standing up, just cover the brake. Easiest way to cover the rear brake standing up is to put left foot on passenger step and right foot covering brake.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM

When you start doing stand ups, put your left foot on the passenger pegs. Leave all your fingers on the grip except your index finger which you will use to clutch it up. The reason you want to put your foot on the passenger peg is because it takes less strength to hold your self up. If you just keep your feet on the front pegs you have to use a lot of arm strength to hold yourself up. Be careful not to let your rear peg fold up on you, I didn't really have a problem on the f4i but the 954 has been doing it every so often. As always cover your rear brake just in case.

Clutching a wheelie when done right will not do much if any damage to your bike, when you are starting to learn you may burn it a bit. After you get it down, you shouldn't notice any change in your clutch feel. If you are seriously worried about doing something to your bike from doing wheelies then you honestly shouldn't do them, you could wreck or just bang your bike up from landing and what ever else. They are addicting like crack ( if you are hooked on crack don't start doing wheelies either) once you start you won't be able to stop. The best tip I can give is to go out in the country on a desolate road and practice, that way you are not trying to impress anybody and you can learn at your own pace. That is what I did, be safe and have a cell phone or a buddy with just in case something happens. Later guys and put up some damn videos so we can see your progress, I will get one up as soon as the weather gets nice again so that way nobody has to ask the same questions all the time.
later
Ben

Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 PM

When you clutch a wheelie doyou just kind pull and release the clutch while keeping steady throttle? With the pull and release being a fairly quick motion? Or when you pull the clutch do you give it a little more throttle right before you pop it out? Are you trying to pop the clutch, or trying to avoid popping it?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 AM

It depends on how hard you are already in the throttle, if you are accelerating then you don't need to give it much gas. If you are going a constant speed you need to give it gas. Get going like 30 mph in 2nd and then pull in the clutch and give it some gas(don't rev it like 3 times and then do it, it should be a smooth rev and then release the clutch) and let out the clutch in a second. Some people call it slipping the clutch, but essentially it is poppin the clutch. Take it small and work your way up higher, you will get the hang of it pretty quick. it should sound like this
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr WHAA brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRR RRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
constant 30mph............................clutch it up. trying to find balance point............................................. balance point ..................

hahaha I have always wanted to do that. do ya understand that?
later
Ben

Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Err

ORIGINAL: slimmyslim1420

When you clutch a wheelie doyou just kind pull and release the clutch while keeping steady throttle? With the pull and release being a fairly quick motion? Or when you pull the clutch do you give it a little more throttle right before you pop it out? Are you trying to pop the clutch, or trying to avoid popping it?
do what twista said in a empty parking lot, do it as many times as you possibly can. when first learning this ****, repitition is key. imo...

Old 09-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Ok I will try that. But we have a lot of empty parking lots in my town so that won't be a problem. You now its nice to be on a forum where people will actually answer your questions rather than telling you to search or just plain doggin on you. I was a member on another sportbike forum and they would damn near never help anybody.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twistatech

I tell everybody to learn how they want to do wheelies whatever way they feel comfortable. But once you get the hang of the wheel coming up naturally you are going to have to progress to clutching. Power wheelying isn't really that bad if your not going that high but once you start getting near balance point is when it gets sketchy. Your bike is lifting the front wheel under pure acceleration so when it comes the the balance point what are you going to do, you can't let off because the bike will slam down, and it takes a experienced rider to feel the point and start letting off to get it to actually balance from a power wheelie. Not to mention if you don't know anything about balance point your just going to stay in the throttle and the bike will be on top of you in a heart beat. That is why they are dangerous. On the flip side clutching get the wheel up initially close to balance point with little or minimal acceleration, and you can play with the throttle to get on balance point relatively easy. Noobs ( and remember we all used to be noobs , all these cocky guys on here used to be noobs at one time) always think that clutching is way more dangerous because of the looping your bike factor. And it is if you don't practice right and build up to a reasonable clutch wheelie the right way. Take it small and slow you will lift the wheel higher and higher everyday. And don't worry about asking noob questions because that is what the forum is here for, them cocky guys forget that they used to be noobs and ask questions. I am alway here to give my honest opinion about questions. hope that helps... later
very well said.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM

It sounds a little like what? i couldn't hear that,could you do it again

Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM

I asked the same question on the 929 board. Here's what I got on Slipping the Clutch. I still can't do it myself. I can power it up, but I stop when it gets a few feet off the ground as I'm afraid of looping it...I'm waiting for my Street Cage to come in before I practice again...Hope this helps...

"Slipping the clutch"

You are accelerating slightly... you start to pull in the clutch when at a certian point your revs will start to jump up, but the clutch has not fully disengauged. You've just pulled it in enough for your revs to increase. In a equally quick motion, you release the clutch lever as you add more throttle.

The timing is like this:

1. The clutch is all the way out.
2. You accelerate slightly to put your bike under power.
3. In 1 motion, you pull in the clutch as you increase your throttle.
4. Keep the throttle to it's new increased position as you release the clutch.

Slipping the clutch is a quick motion. If it feels like your bike is trying to do a burnout, or the tire comes up slow, you're releasing the clutch too slowly.

An example I can give would be like this... Here's your revs:
2... 3... 4... 5... (slip clutch, add throttle) 8... (release clutch) 7... (in wheelie) 8... 9... etc

If you do not add throttle when you slip the clutch, it looks like this:
2... 3... 4... 5... (slip clutch, no throttle) 8... (release clutch) 5... (no wheelie) 6... 7... etc

So you should notice there, that just by having your bike under acceleration, your revs will increase when you slip the clutch... But if you don't add throttle while slipping it, you will end up at the same revs when you are done slipping the clutch. The adding the throttle bit is what causes your bike to come up... You're essentially gaining 2k rpm in a fraction of a second... where as if you were just accelerating like normal, it would take much longer to gain that 2k rpm.

This is what it will look like once you have it nailed:
2... 3... (slip clutch, add throttle) 7... (release clutch) 4... (straight to balance point) 4... 4... 4... 4...

If you only give the throttle a little twist when you slip the clutch, the tire only comes up a little. If you give it say a half twist as you slip the clutch, it jumps much higher. The key is not shutting down your throttle once you get the wheel in the air.

To keep your learning simple, always repeat the same motions, at the same speed. Most people that I see that loop their bikes keep going faster and faster as they try to bring it up... and as you go faster and into higher revs, you increase in horsepower. So what they do is try it at 20, doesn't come up... 30, doesn't come up... they start adding more throttle... 40, 50... all the sudden they're in their powerband, and they literally pin their throttle wide open and POW. They get their wheelie, but can't shut the power down fast enough and loop.

So do this. Start at wherever you feel comfortable.. say 20mph. Try to clutch it up.. if it doesn't come up.. you're now going like 35 or 40... slow back down, and try it again at 20mph with a bit more throttle when slipping. If it doesn't come up, or not as high as you wanted it to... slow back down, and try it again at 20 with more throttle. Don't just keep adding speed thinking that's what you need for it to come up. Always practice the same starting speed till you get it.

Well, I'm long winded here, so lol, hopefully this answered your question and gave you a bit more to consider when learning.

- Pixel -

BTW, something to remember is that slipping the clutch always takes the same amount of time... but during the time it's slipped, you can add 2k revs, or 9k revs depending on how fast you twist the throttle while slipp

Quick Reply: Whats so wrong with power wheelies?