Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

How to keep a wheelie up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep a wheelie up?

I've had my F4i for a little over a year now. I can pop the front end up in 1st gear by dumping the clutch. The front end pops up and goes right back down. How can I keep it up?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Default RE: How to keep a wheelie up?

Also, the way my 2002 F4i comes up is about 13,000rpms and dumping the clutch. Sees a lot higher than many of you others talking about 6,000rpms? Could there be something wrong with my bike?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:37 AM

Nothing wrong with the bike just the user. Its all about how you slip or pop the clutch. If your getting the bike up and its not going straight to BP then you need to use the gas to get the bike to BP and rear brake to keep it there. Takes some pratice to get there, so just keep tring and sooner or later you will get it.

If your just going up and down you are slipping the clutch and then letting off the gas(close the throttle). You will quickly find out the higher you go the slower you go and the farther you will go. You will know when you hit BP the bike will be floaty and will take not extra throttle to stay up(you will stay at a constant speed)

Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Yah, that must be the problem, closing the throttle once it pops up. I guess I am nervous letting it get too high too quick. I feel like I'm going to flip over backwards. I have gotten in the habit of covering the rear brake but I haven't had to use it because it just pops up and then goes right back down. Again, must be because I am releasing the throttle. Shouldit be fairly easy to keep it up in first gear or should I be trying to pop it up in second?
I've seen others pop a wheelie going at least 50mph. Im wondering how do they do that?

Thanks again

Old 07-21-2007, 01:33 PM

screw that first gear shyt... your problem is just getting over the fear of being over the hump. and to do a wheelie at highway speeds... ya just gotta be in the right gear, and depending on what ya got for sprokets...

goodluck, dont loop it

Old 07-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Yeah i have a problem keeping it up too. I'm still stock and i can power it up in first or clutch it up but as soon as I get up thier I ease off the clutch and comes right back down. I'm not even letting off the throtle very much either. I can ride wheelies good on dirt bikes and four wheelers though. I don't know what the problem is.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:12 PM

My bike is also stock. Im guessing in 2nd gear to do a wheelie you do the same thing.....pull clutch in/rev rpms up/dump the clutch?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Its definately not the bike I am 225lbs and was killin it on a bone stock 01 f4i .My best advice is PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE.....THEN PRACTICE SOME MORE !after that,practice some more .....and so on.remember that most people that have been doin this awhile practiced their *** off and probley tore their bikes all to hell,so if your **** is MINTY,take the plastics off and get a powersstuntworx cage.....it will save you money. oh yeah, GET HEATH INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 AM

Yea, practice is your best friend. I have only been riding for 5 or so months, but I ride everyday and endlessly practice everything I do. I even ride in the rain to practice and to get the feel of the bike on wet roads just in case I'm in a bad spot and need to ride in the rain for a real reason other then I'm stupid and want to.

I learned to start riding a wheelie by simply powering up first and getting used to floaty front end. After a little bit of that, I just used throttle control to keep the front wheel off the ground while still under power(no were near BP). So you come up around 20-30 and go down around 70. That takes maybe a city block when your just using power to keep it up. After I did that for a while, I started to power up to my normal spot and then give it just a tad more gas. Just remember when you think your at BP your more then likely not, your still aways away. If you are in first you have engine braking to help slow you down and bring the front down if your rear brakes skills are not there yet. If you can ride out first all the way to red line, then start trying to clutch em up. Don't pop the clucth just slip it and give the bars a tug or the bike a bounce.

When I bought my 12 bar(just to have it at first didn't really need it) that helped a ton with learning how far back it really is. I put my bike at 12 in my drive way and just sat there with it. You learn a lot sitting like that.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM

Been reading that powering up is too dangerous to start out. Plus, my bike cant seem to do it. Ive rolled on throttle in 1st all the way to flooring it and it wont come up.

Also, what is a 12 bar?

Quick Reply: How to keep a wheelie up?