Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

How I do Slow Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I do Slow Wheelies

So, i ve gotten a few pm's asking how to slow down a wheelie ever since i posted my stuntin video. ive given everone the same answer, but thought i would share it with the board too. Remember, this is how I (and many others)do them which may or may not work for you.

The hardest way, though easier to learn, is to practice on stock gearing.
Stay in 1st gear
If you usually clutch up at 20+ mph you need to clutch up no more than 10mph!!! this is important, it will bring your bike up extremely quick. And set you up better for slow wheelies.

**dont try to bring the bike to bp and ride them out your fisrt couple of tries. just get use to the feeling of comming up so fast. and have someone video tape you so you can see if you are where you should be***

So once you clutch it up(AND YES YOU MUST CLUTCH IT UP) you should already have been on the brake.

When it comes to slow wheelies, covering the brake does not mean just have your foot over it. you have to have some drag. I learned to drag the brake about 30%. dragging the brake will be the key to not looping. you can drag it less or more its your choice.

Once the bike is up. keep your foot from moving on the brake and adjust your throttle to your height.

On a bike that is geared stock. you will get upset quickly because it will take a really long time to get this down. But it shouldnt take too long if you are out there every damn chance you get. it took 2 weeks for me on stock gears.

**NOTE- I know a lot of you guys look at your tach to see what rpms you need to be at to wheelie. I never look at it. but it remember a few times, i had to clutch either at 10k rpms or just beyond 10k rpm. i dont remember, but i thought i would let you guys know.

Its gonna take a lot of practice and maybe your bike going down a few times, but wear your gear, get slider or a cage and have fun with it.

Sorry if what i just typed does not explain much. but its kind of hard to tell someone how to wheelie.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Default RE: How I do Slow Wheelies

so you are clutching up a 1st gear wheelie around 10K then slipping the clutch?

Old 08-30-2006, 02:44 PM

10k is a rough estimate. the few times ive looked at the tach, i was around 10k... maybe past. but dont worry about your tach. it will only discourage you. drag your brake and play with the throttle to see how high it will bring you up.

its about 10k because im expalining how to do them on stock gears. i couldnt tell you what rpm im clutching at on my stunt bike because i have no tach on it.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:01 PM

so basically roll in 1st gear about 20 mph, pull the clutch in alittle rev it to about 10k and ease off the clutch at the same time??

Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM

actually u did a pretty good job explaining that

but guys just remember its hard to keep the bike stable at these low speeds (left to right)

thats how i lost it just a few nights ago, or maybe its my own fault for not letting some air outta my back tire[:@]

i popped it up at 9 or 10mph and only had to hit about 8500 or 9k and i almost hit bp, but got scared cuz it came up so quick and let off the trottle some... then i got a lil tipsy and went over on my side

Old 08-30-2006, 05:26 PM

if you cant clutch up a second gear wheelie and hold it at balance point, then you have a ways to go before you try slow wheelies...

Old 08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Err

good post mike. you still on stock gears?

i'm usually at 1 mph when i bring it up.

less air in the rear will help keep the bike stable.

you guys should put tape over your tach so you don't look at it.

remember practice is key

Old 08-30-2006, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: jzcbr600

so basically roll in 1st gear about 20 mph, pull the clutch in alittle rev it to about 10k and ease off the clutch at the same time??
???

Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: stuntn_r6

if you cant clutch up a second gear wheelie and hold it at balance point, then you have a ways to go before you try slow wheelies...

Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Err

???
yes, go try it and see what you come up with.

Quick Reply: How I do Slow Wheelies