Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Help please, is this good/bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 12:03 AM
Default Help please, is this good/bad?

Hello all. I was hoping with all the knowledgable people around here that I could get a bit of critique.

We went out to our "spot" today and got a bit of footage. Its not the best place due to crowning and actual ruts, but it helps to get the feel. What I would like to know is, What am I doing wrong?

This is what I've got on myself so far:

1. Relax, lean back a bit. Im a bit crouched or over the front most of the time.

2. After completing #1 get it up higher to keep the speed/revs down a bit.

Other than that, I feel as if I've made some fairly good progress. These arent my longest ever, just some closer to the cam so you can see anything im doing wrong.

The 3 "standup" vids, im on the silver 600rr: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...ndLOKI&p=r

Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-08-2007 | 01:41 AM
Default RE: Help please, is this good/bad?

From what I can see in the video's, you need to be more straight up and down with your body, and relax more like you said. Also you will need to clutch it from a constant speed not while accelerating and will probably need to clutch it a little harder to get higher faster. See you are accelerating and running out of rpms. Just keep going higher until you stop gaining speed. Is that in first? If so try it in second at like 30mph, you will have to clutch it harder but it will be more stable. Otherwise just practice you are going good so, the only help you will get is practice and learning from yourself.

Old 09-08-2007 | 11:19 AM

thanks twista. I was wondering though, why would i have to clutch it from a constant speed? I clutch them a lot more consistently if im accelerating a bit right before I clutch it, plus it eliminates the snap of the chain....

Those are in 2nd gear. I can clutch em up slower just wanted a bit of speed on that road due to the ruts/crowning

Old 09-08-2007 | 02:31 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: twistatech

From what I can see in the video's, you need to be more straight up and down with your body, and relax more like you said. Also you will need to clutch it from a constant speed not while accelerating and will probably need to clutch it a little harder to get higher faster. See you are accelerating and running out of rpms. Just keep going higher until you stop gaining speed. Is that in first? If so try it in second at like 30mph, you will have to clutch it harder but it will be more stable. Otherwise just practice you are going good so, the only help you will get is practice and learning from yourself.
+1 I was going to fast when I was trying to hit BP (using all the torque just to keep it up)slow down and it gives you more controll to hit BP, Plus if the road is as bad as you say find a better one. In BP you will get side to side wobble on uneven roads.

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:42 PM

I know the biggest thing had got to be the fear of falling back... There is so much room from your rear fender to the ground, just be aware that you can go way back. That is my biggest issue. It is just automatic, my wrist just lets off the throttle right when I hit BP. Ways to get better at it for me are 1, ride the dirt bike 2, lower rear tire pressure 3, use left passanger peg... That is almost cheating! Cool videos, here is one I made for a friend on a 929. Kinda dark though- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tndOqXWh1UY

Old 09-08-2007 | 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: motoxxx43

I know the biggest thing had got to be the fear of falling back... There is so much room from your rear fender to the ground, just be aware that you can go way back. That is my biggest issue. It is just automatic, my wrist just lets off the throttle right when I hit BP. Ways to get better at it for me are 1, ride the dirt bike 2, lower rear tire pressure 3, use left passanger peg... That is almost cheating! Cool videos, here is one I made for a friend on a 929. Kinda dark though- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tndOqXWh1UY
Nice vid. Yeah I have a looooong ways to go before im draggin parts, I can feel that much. I do "cheat" as you say and kick my left foot back in the staggered stance, but ive always got my right foot on the riders peg, hangin out on the brake, just in case.

thanks for all the help/advice guys, ill get some more of progress (if I make any) and post em up sometime.

later,
Chris

Old 09-09-2007 | 05:56 AM

give it more gas before u pop the clutch
do it quick, don't wait and think about it....(low rpms)

now that u watched urself, u know how high u are, so u know that there is alot of room left till u loop, so don't be scrared to gas it up there...just remember, take baby steps....u rush urself and i u'll crash.

ur road/spot looks long as f*ck, but one of the things that helped me was....besically, i picked a street and started poppin wheelies at one end of it, if i couldn't reach the other end, i knew i wasn't at bp. so everytime, i went up a little higher, till i finally cleared the whole street.

lastly, cover the brake.

Old 09-09-2007 | 09:33 PM

sounds good dirty. yeah that road is maybe 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile usable, if that.I just wish it wasnt so crowned. theres another piece we do wheelies on but its by the mill. Its maybe an 1/8th mile, thats including stoppage room. I can do them in first sitting down for about half the way but inconsistent. Ill get there, more practice, more practice!

Old 09-09-2007 | 09:41 PM
Err

straight arms, more gas.

Old 09-09-2007 | 09:55 PM

Your balance point will be lower the further back you are leaning and most people that are starting out will freeze up when they feel the bike looping. Dont let everyone tell you to judge the "looping point" by how close your rear end is to the ground. Your bike WILL NOT be standing straight up and down when you are doing second gear wheelies unless you slow them down pretty slow. If you can slow down wheelies than you wouldnt be here asking about wheelies.