Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

First wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009 | 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ERM324
I own an '09 CBR 1000 REPSOL with a full akrapovic exhaust and a pcV

Yesterday I snapped the throttle in first gear at roughly 8000 rpms and the bike came right up to almost 11oclock. After popping it up I tapped the back brake and it safely came back down.

Is this a good method to get the bike up, or you guys think riding at lower rpms and clutching it up would be safer?
*grins*

well you probably thought you got it to 11oclock, my first power wheelie I thought I was gonna flip it. *bites his tongue* just play around for a bit with the throttle response but dont overdo it (seeing a repsol go down makes any honda owner cry). Once you get the feel of the bike being lifted off the ground I would totally STOP doing power wheelies and go to 2nd gear (trust me, the new 1krr's are more than able to pop a 2nd gear wheelie bone stock)

stay about 40-45mphs in 2nd, pull in the clutch and give a bit of throttle and just let out the clutch in a fast/steady pace (dont just let it go), you will feel the bike lift just a bit (which you will be like "this aint gonna work") then just practice.

I bet you had that grin on your face for the whole day huh? it's an awesome feeling getting the wheel up for the first time. Good luck and dont overdo it (also buy a stunt bike)

Old 10-04-2009 | 07:56 PM

I read an interview with Kane Friesen, one of the things he said that should be said here is:

"If you wanna stunt, be ready to drop expensive bikes"

I'm all about stunts, my bike is ugly as hell, but that's it's job. I've barrel rolled her twice and drove her home, that's what a cage can do for you...

My first wheelie was an accident, and was a power wheelie. I learned a little bit after that about clutching it up, and been doing that ever since. It's a lot more controlled.

Like Stuntforlife said - Staggered clutching is the best way. You have a lot more control with body posture that way too, sitting down loses a lot of that ability which is important for beginners.

I practice on my CRF70 a lot. Once you can wheelie a little mini-bike like that, the streetbikes are nothin!

Old 10-11-2009 | 03:29 PM

I have been doing sit down wheelies and can get it up to 10 o clock max. I just started and I tried the standing up and it seems real awkward to me. Any tips on standing up? feel like the bike can throw me off.

to all the beginners: practice 15-30 minutes a day. After that your hands start blistering and your clutch hand is dead (well mine). Your technique can start slacking as well due to fatigue.

Old 10-13-2009 | 08:17 PM

staggered is easyiest standing up. put most of ur weight on ur left foot, cove rthe brake with ur right foot. once u get to balance point, you might find urself trying to hold on, ur arms get tired. this is when i starting putting my left foot into my 12 bar, witht hat ur more parallel with the bike, less stress on ur arms trying to hold on. however with this, u have to put all ur weight on ur left foot and cover the brake with virtually no weight on the peg. its hard and aquard at first but its possible. there u will have more control and ride balance point very slow. alot of people cut a hole into their rear seat and put there left foot there... hope that helps a lil