Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

First wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First wheelie

I own an '09 CBR 1000 REPSOL with a full akrapovic exhaust and a pcV

Yesterday I snapped the throttle in first gear at roughly 8000 rpms and the bike came right up to almost 11oclock. After popping it up I tapped the back brake and it safely came back down.

Is this a good method to get the bike up, or you guys think riding at lower rpms and clutching it up would be safer?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ERM324

Yesterday I snapped the throttle in first gear at roughly 8000 rpms and the bike came right up to almost 11oclock. After popping it up I tapped the back brake and it safely came back down.

Is this a good method to get the bike up, or you guys think riding at lower rpms and clutching it up would be safer?

09 1000rr and its repsol paint scheme Im no pro by any means but the clutch way gives you more control. Since your ballin get a f4i to bash on and leave the 09 for the streets.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ERM324

A bike with that much power needs to be clutched. I would do it in 2nd gear. Clutching gives way more control and is much easier to get up. If you start a "power wheelie" to low in the rpms then by the time you realize how high the bike has came it will be past 12:00 and the back brake with do you no good. Clutch control can also help you to stay at 12:00.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 AM

dammnn 8k rpm on a 1 liter in 1st gear??

Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 AM

watch out your wheeling a beast it can flip you so easy clutching is definitely much better to control such a beast

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM

I've been told that 2nd gear at a slower roll is the best way to learn wheelies... How good are the full cages at protecting the bike.... I want to stunt I just donlt have the cash to pay for the falls.....

haha

-Lee

Last edited by jacked600; 08-10-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by jacked600
I've been told that 2nd gear at a slower roll is the best way to learn wheelies... How good are the full cages at protecting the bike.... I want to stunt I just donlt have the cash to pay for the falls.....

haha

-Lee

anyone want to second what I've heard about wheelies.. so maybe I can start trying them...

thanks
--Lee

Old 09-13-2009, 06:41 PM

The forum post below is linked to from many different websites and seems to be the best wheelie howto on the web. I'm just starting out myself, but i'm waiting until I get my crash cage for before I make any serious attempts. So far i've only gotten the front a about a foot off the ground, but i wasn't trying to do a wheelie, I was just getting on the throttle hard, and learning about the power band. Once my cage arrives, and gets installed i'm going to head down to GA to meet up with some friends so I have a camera and someone to call an ambulance around me when I make my first attempts.

Cages are a must. Just look around YouTube a little and you will see why. Even slow wheelies and mild drops can result in serious engine damage. And most of it can be prevented by a $200-300 cage.

(you have to register to read it, but it suggest a 1st gear throttle-only method before graduating to clutching it)
http://www.how2stunt.com/index.php?o...d=21&Itemid=60

Another one that looks good:
http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-...ing-basic.html

This one looks good also:
http://www.physics.isu.edu/~hackmart/wheelie.htm

I can't really tell you which method is best since I haven't tried to stunt yet. But those are the three most linked to howtos I found.

Of course this is coming from someone with zero experience stuntin so...

Last edited by weeeezzll; 09-13-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Wheres the ideal biting point on a clutch lever for clutching it up? I hardly have to pull the lever to get the clutch to slip. I prefer it this way as I ride with two fingers on the clutch at all time and theres not much room for the lever to move.

I wont be trying clutch ups on my bike or any stunts for that matter as its my main mode of transport.

Just wondering, thats all.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Preid, thats exactly how i have my clutch lever set up. my two fingers pull it in while the other 3 let me hold on. i barely have to pull it in to get it to slip.
And YES A CAGE IS A MUST FOR STUNTS. i dont think any body learned how to do complicated stunts without dropping the bike... i just dropped mine yesterday trying to dip into a circle, cage saved everything i picked it up and rode off...
To be honest uys learning how to wheelies, i learned how to do wheelies using second gear clutching them up staggered. i didnt hit BP for the longest time, i then learned how to do first gears and learn the rear brake... when trying to hit BP rear brake control is key...
my advice guys... be patient, practice alot, watch people better then u if possible, dont be shy talk and ask questions, when you fall get up and try again. good luck guys, we're all learning just at different stages...

Quick Reply: First wheelie