Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch question

Ok, I have a clutch related question having to do with wheelies. Oh no, the same old **** ur thinking. Well, not really. Maybe. I dont know. Anyway..I've been practicing a lot lately. Still cant do sick 1 mile long wheelies, not yet at least. I noticed last week when i was riding to the shore, i couldnt pop the front up at all, took it easy for a while, tried again and it came up with ease, then about after 15 mins i had no luck again. Well, i just got back from some more wheelie practice tonight, It started out great, i was prob. doing the best ones i ever did, took a little break, tried again and i had no luck. Is it possible that my clutch could be kinda beat? I am the second owner (f4) and i have no idea how bad it was beatin before i had it. And im not to gentle on her either. yes yes practice makes perfect. I am no expert i know. It could be what im doing. But i know i cant just slip the clutch either. It never works, no matter what gear. Its like inbetween slipping and i dont wanna say dumping, maybe a second or two slip. By the way i have about 15k miles on it i think. Sorry for the book. Please be gentle. Its one of my first posts.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Default RE: clutch question

I get the same feeling as you... Seems like the bike is inconsistant... BUT the problem is im terrible so i automatically blame myself...I notice it seems easier to clutch it up when its cold.

Other than that i can't help.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adjust the rider not the bike its all in your head kid

Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 AM

U really think so? I was kinda thinking its easier when its cold. U really think it could be in my head. Maybe I just suck at it

Old 05-01-2007, 01:58 AM

I haven't been doin wheelies too long but I do know the functions of a bike, and I know that the clutch does influence the pop alot, mainly when it gets too hot. My advice is to try it 5 or 6 times around and then cool off the clutch by either going for a smooth cool down lap: easy shifting and low revs, or just turn it off for about 10-15 mins. Once the clutch is cool it engages with a firm grip(unless it's terribly worn). Also don't ride the clutch too long when you're slippin it cause then you'll be replacin it soon. I hope I could help, that's pretty much all I've got.

P.S. Good luck and don't panic if it goes too high...just grab the clutch,slightly "tap" the rear break, let off the gas or if it's too late try not to land under the bike.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 AM

[sm=wtf.gif]we ride all day in the lot on saturdays, only sitting down when our left hand hurts from clutching over and over, never had a problem with it being hot or cold, dude honestly the problem is you, and its not that u suck so dont even think like that, its just that u havent practiced enough, thats all it is

Old 05-01-2007, 03:13 AM

your clutch might be out of adjustment. i had this problem once. try letting some slack in the cable. if you have no room for adjustment on the lever, then adjust it near the clutch case.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 AM

when its stops going up after your 5 or 6 attempts, trying reving it more before poppin the clutch, see if it pops up then.

like others said, its probably u and not the bike....

BUT

you might need to change your clutch plate....jump on the freeway and get to 5th-or-6th gear...get on the gas....if the revs start going up but you're not gaining any speed....u need to replace ur cluch plates.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 AM

U think so? I have almost no slack in the cable. Very minimal. I'll try that

Old 05-01-2007, 04:46 PM

dude just tear *** in first gear and shift to second before redline, if it slips then youll know if youre wheelie problem is bike related or you related

Quick Reply: clutch question