Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Which Clutch Is Most Suitable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Clutch Is Most Suitable?

I have a 2001 F4i that is bone-stock (fixing to order a -1/+5 sprocket kit with new 520 pitch chain). After practicing for a couple hours each week on wheelies (newbie), I think my stock clutch has about had it.

My question to yall is this: Which brand clutch kit would be most suitable for the type of riding I do: a lot of wheelies, a lot of fast country riding, and of course the usual city and highway commute? Do most of you run the stock setup? I have already looked at the pros and cons of theBarnett, EBC, and DP, but none of the threads were centered around more aggressive riding (like stunting). I do not need a full-on racing setup, but I definitely need it to be able to take the brunt of clutching it up.....A LOT! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
JD

Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Default RE: Which Clutch Is Most Suitable?

Why do you think your clutch has had it?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM

The last couple of times I've gone riding (no wheelies), when I get up to speed and need to downshift, I pull the clutch in, shift down, let the clutch out and it is making an extremely loud "chattering" noise. The sound resembles metal against metal. As soon as I engage the clutch again, the noise stops.

Also, I can get up to speed and let off the throttle completely, and the "chattering" continues to happen until I get back into the throttle or engage the clutch. The bike has around 18,000 miles.

On top of all this my CCT is getting worse and worse each day (which is what I thought the chattering sound was, but you can tell the difference between the noise of the CCT and the chattering). I am going to replace my CCT with a modified OEM unit this coming up weekend, and while I was at it, I was probably going to change my clutch, chain, and sprockets.

I wish I had a video-camera to post the sound on here, but I don't.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Might be bent shift forks. A bad clutch would slip the chattering would be a bent fork.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Also you might not be shifting right at all. I know when I'm going too fast and I try to down shift it will make a bunch of noise and not want to shift. Other times if I dont push or pull hard enough on the shift it will get in between gears and make a ton of noise and wont fix till I redo my shift or rev it up.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 AM

stick w/ oem.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 AM

Nauree: Well, I can be as low as 3k rpm and downshift and still here the chattering. So, it could possibly be bent shift forks? Hmm, I've never heard of this going bad before (I come from the car world, so bikes are new to me). What would need to be done to fix this?

So one vote for the OEM clutch and zero for an aftermarket....

Thanks guys,
JD

Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 AM

OEM clutch. Bent shift forks come from bad shifting in the first place. You'll need to take apart the clutch assembly and find the bent fork and A. Buy a new one B. Bend it back someway. I wuoldn't suggest B because its probably only bent very slightly and you might not even notice it let alone get it back in the correct position.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: HayabusaKLR

So one vote for the OEM clutch and zero for an aftermarket....
put it this way, i started stunting 2 and a half years ago. Im still on the same clutch.

Name:  3ralphloui.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  36.9 KB

Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Alright, I appreciate it guys... Looks like I'll be going with the stock clutch.

Quick Reply: Which Clutch Is Most Suitable?