Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

600RR 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 600RR 2nd gear

I will post some video when I can. Right now the bike is out of commision. Needs a new fuel seal because it just got repainted.

Anyways I think I will just stay being skilled at doing my Power wheelies and you guys can keep clutching it up. Really I think if your bike has the power than why are you clutching it if you arent doing slow wheelies. I can see if you are in town and you only have a short distance but if you are on the highway and have an unlimited stretch of road than there is no reason at all to clutch the bike up.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 600RR 2nd gear

I think there's something to be said for both approaches. I have been one that never clutches unless i'm sitting down, but i purposely went this weekend and took the time to practice clutching just to evaluate the feel. I can bounce my 600RR up in any gear consistently, and i have 6 wheelie variations currently in my arsenal. I am by no means an expert stunter, but i can wheelie for as long as i choose to wear my arms out. After evaluating both methods this weekend, this is what i have come to decide:

I can definitely see the advantages in clutching a wheelie while attempting slow wheelies. I can bounce my bike up quickly to the BP in 2nd at 35-40 mph, but can see where this ability is limited due to the simple fact that the bike's rpms are not high enough at 20mph to quickly bounce the bike up (causing you to have to "chase" the bike up) This is where clutching becomes helpful, because it allows you to tap that power that's not available at low speed.

However, when it comes to the highway, i have to say that i prefer to simply bounce my bike. My bike will pull quickly up to the BP in 3rd gear at anything over 55 mph, and i find that this is more comfortable for me. One advantage i have found is that it allows me to keep all my fingers of my left hand on the grip===might seem like something miniscule, but it makes a world of difference in my feeling of stability. It's not that there's anything wrong with clutching it up, and many people do, but i think that for someone who is experienced enough in bouncing to simply pull it right up to the balance point, it is less to worry about than having to clutch it. I have bounced/powered my bike up in every gear other than 6th, and this is simply my opinion.

Here's the thing---to each his own!!! I've seen people loop it trying to clutch a wheelie, and i've seen people power it up and keep right on goin over. If you're comfortable with something, do it until it's easy, then experiment. Learn to bounce AND to clutch---it will open up more opportunities to wheelie and only make you a better rider. Wheelies are dangerous in themselves, so who cares if one way is supposedly more dangerous than the other?

God i sound like an old man. lol

-Adam