Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Quick U turns...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky in low speed manouvers

my crb 600rr 2004

its jerky in low speed when trying to manouver...

i think it may be because i have some play in the throttle before the point that its actually giving the engine gas...and trying to keep it at biting point causes it to jerk around a little...

is that what it is or is it just a jerky bike at low speed...

didnt have this issue with previous bike...

if anyones experienced the same how have they overcome it...

Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Default Quick U turns...

i saw a rider with passenger on a sports bike U turn so quickly and smoothly...

and i wondered if anyone has any pointers for quick U turns...

i U turn slow and sometimes jerky...

Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Your turns are jerky because you are not confident in your abilities. You are too worried that you will fall over. The more experience you get, the more time you spend in the saddle, the more confidence in your abilities the smoother and tighter your turns will be. The bike will become part of you and riding will be like walking, only faster!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Practice figure 8 on an empty lot....U turn must be one motion thru...jerky because you are in gear and not steady with throttle control.

Depending what gear you use for your approaching U turn...saying if you have plenty of room, not a tight/narrow U, you can be in 2nd. If very small street, then you'll need to be in 1st...if your speed is correct, with your momentum...you can actually complete the entire U turn hanging the clutch (like if you are in neutral) but one smooth motion. If your in gear, I'll spot my U turn with the inside foot down, just slightly touching the asphalt. Having the inside foot down gives you a sense of balance & steady feel (but you'll experience premature wear on sole of boot.

Practice figure 8....you'll master it in no time...

Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 AM

Work the clutch more and and Look over your shoulder when doing u-turns, you'll be a quick and smooth u-turner in no time.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM

thats what they taught in riding class.

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Work the clutch more and and Look over your shoulder when doing u-turns, you'll be a quick and smooth u-turner in no time.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 PM

dont have the confidence for a single motion u turn...

and definitely jerky if its done in first gear...on and off the gas.

when i saw it done...it looked like a combination of ...

1 counter steer

2 lean and counter balance...

it was done quickly with a passanger...

its practice of course but...its not so much that im worried about dropping the bike...as it is paying out for new fairings...

should get myself some fairing to practice manouvers with...so i can feel a little more confident and not too bothered about dropping it...

Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Check out this control. Pretty amazing what these guys can do.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McBreezyF4i
Check out this control. Pretty amazing what these guys can do.

YouTube - 2010 10 24
They kinda cheat: they're not using stock clipons

U-turns are a matter of very precise throttle control and rear brakong. When you get proficient with both, you'll find yourself less concerned with the counterbalancing and such. With my F4i I could do "The Box" in the 250 boundary. Don't ask what I can do with Yolie... I still sucketh

A U-turn is like ANY corner. Don't let your mind trick into thinking anything different. You have an entry, apex and exit point. You look thru the turn, just like any other. The fact that you may be doing your best owl imitation is immaterial. They're just jammed together very closely. So when I have to u-turn, I use the rear brake instead of heavy front braking up to the apex. Thinking about counterbalancing for me is thinking too much. I hang where I need to hang just like any corner. And just like any corner if you roll on the throttle properly, the bike will start to stand up.

Also, don't forget the rear brake. The rear brake will greatly stabilize a u-turn. I can't explain the physics behind it. But while basically trail braking with the rear brake into a u-turn, it is apparently almost physically impossible for the bike to fall. I read it somewhere.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM

I feel I have trouble looking all the way thru and past a corner. Still kinda looking down. Gotta practice. Which I do almost every day

Quick Reply: Quick U turns...