Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How to handle gravel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for a ride today on a good route motorcyclist take to get to the mountains and surrounding towns. Let me tell you, there was about two car lengths of gravel, sand etc completely covering both lanes (was not there 5 days ago) as if someone deliberately built a perimeter and poured it on there. A very even coating that covered the yellow line. I was very pissed the first time I went by, as it was right before a little turn. I slowed down and rolled through straight, and went for the turn immediately after with no problem.

As I was coming back I forgot about it because I was taking that turn and it was a somewhat of a blindspot. I hit it at about 45mph, with a little lean, coming up from after the turn, and I felt the rear bounce a little. I got a little jitter but it seems I got by it smoothly without changing anything at all.

But I swear, this patch was man made and if I fell, I would definitely be suing the town or someone because everywhere throughout the route116 was spot on clean, no sand, gravel, dirt, debris, nadda.

Im going to have to go get a picture of this filth just because it's just so bad...

another time, I was at a red light, going for a left turn, saw straight patch of sand and I it while turning. The front wheel went straight a little and caught the pavement. I threw my left leg down just to be safe. I was only going like 10-15mph.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 AM
August 2011 ROTM

where do you live? Does your town has some conspiracy against bikers?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 AM

In MA. There are not haters, its all surrounding farm towns so it's no problem. That part of the route has no side streets, have well paved road, no houses, and a nice twisty section that is good for beginners.

A very common route. Was very pissed...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

glad you are ok. and this shows you that just because you know the road by heart doesnt mean its safe.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM

I am always especially cautious about intersections and anywhere where I know debris usually accumulates. Other than that (suprises like a truck dropped a patch of sand on the road accidentally), all you can do is get the bike as upright as possible and try to glide through it (no acceleration/deceleration)

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Had this happen to me the other day. I was coming down into a small neighboring town and decided to take a side street to avoid the stop light. I had a line of cars right on my *** (aparently 30 in a 30 zone is too slow) so I probably could've slowed down just a bit more before making the turn. I went to turn right and as soon as I saw the gravel scattered like marbles I felt the bike get all wishy washy. I tried to remain as smooth as possible and ended up gliding right through, which was fortunate because if the bike went down it would've slid straight into the car stopped in the right lane. First run in with gravel I've had since riding and it definitely put a flutter in my heart at the time.

Last edited by Kevwa451; 05-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM

You got lucky Kevwa! I hit gravel yesterday and wasnt so lucky... Blind downhill twisty with gravel gave me no chance to stop me and my F4 from ending up under the guardrail from about 25mph. I got lucky the gentleman behind me stopped intime. My riding partner on his duke helped me pull the bike out from inbetween the guardrail and asphalt.
If the guadrail wasnt there, I prolly would have suffered more than a broken wrist and bruises. Thank God for safty equiptment! I think I can repair the bike but I had an eye opener yesterday. Everyone ride safely and beware of Gravel!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Shok, what route in MA? Im also a ma$$hole and am always looking for nice sandy roads with twisties

Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM

i live out in the country all dirt/sandy gravel roads i can safely ride these rodes at 45 to 50 mph no problem if u let the tire sink urs almost all ways gna go down idk maybe my tech but i ride dirt bikes so i know how to skim water and deep sand

Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dhurley1
Shok, what route in MA? Im also a ma$$hole and am always looking for nice sandy roads with twisties
rt 116, north, right before hitting 112 and savoy. Went on it again and all the roads are good. 116 is a good route to take. You can make a big loop very easily. I just rode without destination and made a look with the sign reading.

Quick Reply: How to handle gravel