CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   How to get rid of Chicken Strips (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/how-get-rid-chicken-strips-122081/)

Malsman04now 03-07-2011 08:41 PM

How to get rid of Chicken Strips

Ok i had recently bought a back tire about 350 miles ago but i really wanna learn to take turns at a faster pace to get rid of my chicken strips lol. i know i can hit them with sand paper to get rid of em. By my definition the CHICKEN STRIP is the very sides of the tire that still has that glossy look. Mine have about an inch. I have been trying to get the bike over but i seem like i am way leaned over and i am not far enough. Any tips or do i basically just have to NUT up and go faster into curves?.... Thanks guys!

scorpionvmu 03-07-2011 09:14 PM

take it to the track.... its a lot safer and you will be sure you wont hit any surprises around the corner.

Dissevered 03-07-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Malsman04now (Post 1022666)
Ok i had recently bought a back tire about 350 miles ago but i really wanna learn to take turns at a faster pace to get rid of my chicken strips lol. i know i can hit them with sand paper to get rid of em. By my definition the CHICKEN STRIP is the very sides of the tire that still has that glossy look. Mine have about an inch. I have been trying to get the bike over but i seem like i am way leaned over and i am not far enough. Any tips or do i basically just have to NUT up and go faster into curves?.... Thanks guys!

Wrong way - lean away from the turn (lean right in a left turn), going not so fast, and dip the bike over real far. You can do this at 30mph... Still unsafe as you may misjudge and may drag parts too hard making you slide out. Plus its just plain stupid because you teach yourself horrible dangerous habits.

Right way - Read Twist of the Wrist 2, and get to a road track and practice.

If you are getting stupid thoughts of trying the wrong way, go to this thread... https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/when-you-come-hot-121936/

DrAwkwArD 03-07-2011 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Malsman04now (Post 1022666)
i know i can hit them with sand paper to get rid of em.

Oh my god.....I soooooo want to flame the hell out of you right now.

Look man, chicken strips are something to joke about but in no way shape or form do they give you some sort of mythical power or a larger d!ck....so remember that.

What dissevered is talking about is a technique some guys use on supermotos...and generally, like he said, is a very bad habit for a sportbike rider. Get TOTW II any way you can. It will help you immensely. If you do it, download it from ThePirateBay...the DVD is on there.

Read this thread and the comments...

xxxxEDIT xxxxx pm all other forum links to other members ...please do not post them on the boards xxxxx

No one will give you any lick of respect if you go down on the street trying to get rid of your chicken strips. Lean angle isn't king...proper body position, lean angle and setup will get you through any turn the fastest way possible.

Please, PLEASE go do a trackday...leave your ego at home and learn everything you can.

jasonb 03-07-2011 10:16 PM

TRACKDAY TRACKDAY TRACKDAY TRACKDAY TRACKDAY!!!!!
You will learn SOOOO MUCH MORE in a 1 trackday then 1 season
Of riding so please go to the track and try not to take the track to
The streets!!! Good luck and ps I was gonna flame the hell outa yah
As well but im just gonna keep quiet...

Kuroshio 03-07-2011 10:28 PM

If you're asking how, you'd likely not survive the attempt on city streets.

comodidit 03-07-2011 11:16 PM

+1 for a trackday.

1 day on the track will not only get rid of the current chicken strips you have, but will eliminate the issue from appearing on any other tires you put on. :P

randyjoy 03-08-2011 01:23 AM

My street bike has chicken strips. My track bikes don't have any.

Track is where you can safely get rid of them.

PlayfulGod 03-08-2011 01:34 AM

practice, practice practice. Best way to do it is not to worry about it. The more you ride the twisties, esp the nice tight ones all around my area, it will come in due time :)

CBRclassic 03-08-2011 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Malsman04now https://cbrforum.com/forum/images/ki...s/viewpost.gif
i know i can hit them with sand paper to get rid of em.

Oh my god.....I soooooo want to flame the hell out of you right now.
:icon_no:

Chicken strips are a bit of a false guide as to how allot of guys ride ..
I know guys that can out ride most others and do not go that far over that the strips get rubbed off ...

A really good ( ROAD ) rider will use style and skill to keep the bike up as upright as possible for as long as possible ...

and BTW ... I have seen mates bikes whacked up on stands and hit with a quick bit of sand paper for a big showy night out with the boys cruising the city streets .. anyways , its ALL BS ...ride within your limits and when and if the day comes when you come home and you have worn them off ..... you can cellebrate if thats so important to you ?

Don't go out and deliberately try to get rid of them to prove anything to yourself or others around you , ok:icon_screwy: .... that's just plain dumb !!:icon_confused: