Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Help practicing counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I have discovered something about myself in the process: I LOVE LEANING! It's funny because my straight line riding is rather timid, speed limit and normal acceleration, compared to squids flying past. But when they're braking hard to make a turn, I slide right past them with barely a touch of the rear brake.

What I'm working on now is throttle control and throttle steering. In Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques he describes using the throttle to assist in steering, reducing brake use. And making cleaner, more stable turns. I've felt it, but haven't quite been able to do it on command consistently. And I'm fairly sure I'm gonna have to invest in a track day sooner than later.

For me, this is about maximizing my control over my bike and being able to fully utilize its agility. Something I feel is needed on the street in order to stay safe. But the street is too chaotic and unpredictable to practice some of this. Someone needs to design a closed course track setup like the streets
Exactley. Soon you will be assimilated into the track. Resistance is futile (now you know why it's in my signature!!)

Throttle control is so important. Re-read Keith Code TOTW II when he talks about throttle control. I can run some tracks at a medium pace with throttle only, never touching the brakes.

Last edited by randyjoy; 06-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I checked out your RideSmart school. Ya need to move to the East Coast and start working the NJ track.

My gf ain't gonna let me take a week long road trip without her back down to Texas. And she ain't getting on the back of the bike short of heavy sedatives and chains.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
...Turning from a 1 lane onto a 2 lane one way I can do. With a tiny bit of trouble landing in the near lane. I know it's legal to use either lane when turning onto a bigger street.
Be careful with that line of thinking, but that is not legal in Louisiana and is a good way to get yourself pulled over, esp on a bike. Here, when turning from a side street onto another street with more lanes (or merging onto another roadway), the driver is required to maintain their position in the lane closest to them. When turning form a side street onto another street with the same # or more lanes the driver is required to maintain their lane.

There's one main intersection right in the middle of my town where when you turn from one street onto the street with most of the fast-food restaurants, you can't get to the Burger King's parking lot entry without changing lanes mid-turn. I've seen police pull the highschool kids over for ages for making the turn that way.