Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Downshifting Query...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting Query...

I hope i posted this in the right area,and forgive my uber-noobness,
because this probably seems like a really stupid question,but i need to know...

Why, when i downshift does the shifter stop at neutral,and refuse to drop into first without fully releasing and re-pulling the clutch?
it only happens occasionally on both my bikes.
(i like to be in first with the clutch in @ stops, so i'm ready to go...is this a bad habit forming?)

Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me see if I understand your query...

Are you trying to downshift to first gear while still rolling up to the stop? If so, you shouldn't downshift to first gear above a certain speed (see your manual). Wait til you're completely stopped to shift to first.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Let me see if I understand your query...

Are you trying to downshift to first gear while still rolling up to the stop? If so, you shouldn't downshift to first gear above a certain speed (see your manual). Wait til you're completely stopped to shift to first.
yes. shifting down into 1st while rolling..slowing to a stop....not at high speeds, though.
i will try to nip this in the bud,if it is indeed a bad habit forming...

Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually have to feather the shifter to land in neutral when downshifting from 2nd. Like when rolling up to the gate access at work, a lot of times I miss neutral completely and land in first. And I kinda need to be in neutral so I can dig my id badge out and lean over to hit the card reader

As for being in 1st at a stop, I consider it a good idea and am almost always in gear when stopped (occasionally I go to neutral to stretch or adjust my pants). Being in 1st while stopped means you're ready in case you have to move for some reason (a car that may not stop in time). Bikers have been rear ended sitting at a light or while stopped. Whether they were paying attention or could have evaded the vehicle isn't known. But I can say that bringing both feet up on the pegs, shifting, rolling on the throttle and moving out without falling over or stalling takes some experience.

Versus (and I know this goes against the MSF teachings) drawing only my left leg up (as my right is already on the peg) and rolling on the throttle, which feels almost natural to me. I guess for me it's a sense of preparedness. Sorta like carrying a gun without a round chambered. Adding in the extra step in an emergency can cost you your life

Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM

In the MSF course I was actually told to shift down to first gear before stopping, every time I stop. There were actually marks against you on the driving tests if you were not in first gear when stopped (especially on the quick stop test). Is this something new? We were only specifically told to put the bike in neutral for starting, otherwise we were always in gear.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natakug5
In the MSF course I was actually told to shift down to first gear before stopping, every time I stop. There were actually marks against you on the driving tests if you were not in first gear when stopped (especially on the quick stop test). Is this something new? We were only specifically told to put the bike in neutral for starting, otherwise we were always in gear.
MSF teaches 2 feet on the ground. I use one foot and cover the rear brake with my right foot. Otherwise you're correct: braking test you have to downshift to first and stop

Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by natakug5
this is exactly how i ride. always in first at a stop.
why does the shifter deny first gear(only sometimes) ,without fully releasing and re-engaging
the clutch?
there must be a very valid answer as both my brand-new CBR 125 and my yamaha SECA2 do this. what is the reason?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I don't like putting the feet down, so if I know I have to stop ahead, I downshift all the way down to 1st. no neutral involved. I almost have problem putting in neutral from 2nd

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM

some transmissions have a safety prevention. dont look at it like your goin into first, look at it as if you need nuetral. this prevents you from going into first and stalling. its not exactly a bad habit to learn as much as learning to adapt.

typically when comming to a stop(except stop signs) you will want nuetral, clutches on bikes are jsut as tempermental as cars. teach yourself to rest in nuetral and put it down to first once the light changes.

if you shift to 1st when light goes green not befor, you may be lucky and not get hit by that red light runner.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by awol70
this is exactly how i ride. always in first at a stop.
why does the shifter deny first gear(only sometimes) ,without fully releasing and re-engaging
the clutch?
there must be a very valid answer as both my brand-new CBR 125 and my yamaha SECA2 do this. what is the reason?
I have problems from time to time getting the bike to shift at all when I'm still. Sometimes I can fix it by revving the engine with the clutch pulled in and shifting while the engine turns, other times I have to physically roll the bike a bit to get the gears to swap. I also have issues getting into neutral without revving the engine a bit sometimes.

I had a problem yesterday where I was facing uphill, had forgotten to downshift before I stopped, and was stuck in 4th gear stalling the bike every time I let the clutch out. It was obviously hard to roll forward to shift, since I was on a hill... After that fiasco I make sure I'm in first while I'm still rolling.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Query...