Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

dac181's streetfighter build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dac181
Thanks Conrice. This pump should be fine then it's advertised as only being 2.5-3 maybe 4 psi. I should be able to just run without a regulator. I'm gonna be trying to get it running tmrw and the rest of the week if necessary. I do have to get my Camaro running first but I'm practically done with just gotta reconnect some lines and get a new battery.

Right on man, I look forward to seeing you report that it's running!

Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a small update. I've been sick the past week with a head cold or something and the shop isn't fully enclosed, so I haven't done much. I did order a starter solenoid, battery box that is all there, and some foot pegs for the front. I expect all of it to be here in the next 2 weeks. I think the foot pegs will take the longest as I've already got tracking info for the other stuff. I also bought a proper battery for it today and put the lawnmower battery... back on the lawnmower! lol.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Well, the bike is running. FINALLY! I can't wait to start getting everything torn apart, inspected, and getting the frame painted/possibly powdercoated. I'm just stoked about getting it to run.

I got the new(to me) starter solenoid today and installed it. At first it did the same thing as the old one, the clicking and all. So I was discouraged cause I didn't know what else it could be. Turns out it was the side stand safety switch, which someone before me had cut out of the wiring harness completely. I came to this conclusion by tracing wires on a wiring diagram a customer rep from Honda emailed me after a call to figure out fuel pressure and such. I still haven't got the tank back on as I'm currently fabbing some lines for the high speed air on the carbs as it was also missing. Pics will be up later tonight.

EDIT: Throwing up some pics of the "hose" I made. I used heater hose and a piece that was removed when I deleted the air solenoid. This cost me about $3 for 1 foot of hose which was way too much but it was the minimum purchase.

For the "low speed" I had this small piece of fuel line that came with the fuel pump I ordered for my Camaro laying around and just so happened its OD was the same as the ID of the hoses so I just stuffed it in there to connect the two together as you can see in the pic below.
Name:  DSC_0795_zps20887eab.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  104.4 KB

For the main air inlet to the carbs I cut a small section of heater hose, stuck it on the inlet, and then with a little pressure shoved it in between the carbs. I then took the small hose that was left from removing the air solenoid and coerced it into the heater hose.
Name:  DSC_0797_zpsbb6b49df.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  65.9 KB

After getting the left over tubing in between the carbs and into the heater hose, I had to use a pair of channel locks to turn it as it was a VERY snug fit. Got it turned, trimmed off the excess and used another small section of heater hose to connect the inlet tube from the air box.
Name:  DSC_0798_zps761bdd85.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  69.1 KB

Last edited by dac181; 11-19-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:59 PM

Well I just wanted to post an update. Bike is gonna be on hold till after the holidays. Anything that I do to it will be small maintenance type stuff, oil/filter change, thermostat, cooling system flush, etc... Gotta make sure I have money for bills and Christmas gifts for the family haha.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by dac181
Gotta make sure I have money for bills and Christmas gifts for the family haha.
I hear that.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM

Well I haven't been on here in over a month, BUT I finally have funds to start back on the bike!!! I've got about $400 to spend on it and hopefully I can get it back on the road for that. I'm not sure but if not I'll start saving again. Weather permitting tomorrow I'm gonna start removing the exhaust and wiring harness. Then next week I hope to trailer it to my dad's shop and take the engine out, remove the front end, and clean the frame up and get it ready for paint. Super excited about finally getting back started on it. Any tear down tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM

Great news man! Take tons of pics!

As far as advice - since the motor is the biggest, heaviest part of the bike, I make that the base of the teardown. I tear everything off of the motor until all I'm left with is a motor on some jack stands.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 AM

Well I wanted to post up a video of it running before I start working on stripping the bike to the frame. All my money I had went to my truck for tires and repairs so I'm now back to a little here, a little there. I did get the tank mounted back, so that's a plus.

20140201_141953_zps48b9e139.mp4 Video by dcrave181 | Photobucket

Also I plan on changing the oil since I gotta pull the oil cooler to see if I need a new one or just need to replace the o rings.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:51 PM

Man, I don't know - something doesn't sound right in that vid. I can't tell what it is, because it seems to start right up and it responds to you giving it some throttle. Is it running on all 4 cylinders?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Just took a listen to video. Im not sure it's running quite right. I cant put my finger on it but maybe one of the cylindars isnt firing as it should.
Maybe its just the video or something. Or it could be my old, rock n' roll induced hars of hearing.:-)
Either way, its cool that you got it going.

Quick Reply: dac181's streetfighter build thread