Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Convert CBR to classic 70s CB?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convert CBR to classic 70s CB?

I like the look of the vintage CB100/125, but there are none available near me in Canada. However I can easily get a CBR125 with a similar single cylinder engine.

How hard would it be to convert a CBR125 to look like a classic 70s CB? Too much effort?

I am new to modifying, and this forum- please be kind!

Old 11-12-2022, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 316 Likes on 260 Posts

Hey there. Of course anything is possible. But it’s my thought you would have to be pretty decent at metal fabrication as a starter.
I think you would spend a lot of time and money and wind up with a tribute type of ride rather than one that is identical.
just my thoughts

Old 11-12-2022, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Hey there. Of course anything is possible. But it’s my thought you would have to be pretty decent at metal fabrication as a starter.
I think you would spend a lot of time and money and wind up with a tribute type of ride rather than one that is identical.
just my thoughts
Valid point. Let's say I do want a tribute, or something akin to classic vs racing styling, with minimum or no metal fabrication- just parts swap and clever mounting.

Once the fairings and attachments are removed, you'd end up with a bare frame.
The tank, seat, headlight, indicators, odometer and fenders could be replaced. But I guess the question is, would the frame have the appropriate mounting points for these parts? Assuming they even fit the dimensions without looking ackward, one may need to weld mounting points onto the frame.

Also how easy would it be to attach rear suspension and change the angle of the rear?

I've seen the classic CB converted into a cafe racer by removing rear suspension and fender and changing handlebars etc. I guess I'm trying to do the reverse.

Unless someone in Canada can hook me up with a decent cb100!

Old 11-12-2022, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

This is a pure assumption on my part but I would say the mounting points would all be different.

the rear shock is a totally different job in of itself. That’s where the metal fabrication would come into play.

i think the idea overall is a good one and I’d be interested in seeing how it shapes up.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm realizing that it may be too much work. I could more easily tweak something like a modern 100cc Honda commuter bike like you find in Asia for peanuts.

What would be really ideal is a running cb100 that I can restore. Am I allowed to make a wanted post somewhere on the forum, in case someone has one near me?

Old 11-12-2022, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

You are. Since you are a junior member it will need to be approved by a mod. But that won’t be an issue.

I’m not sure where you ar In Canada. I did a cursory search and found one for sale on British Columbia, one in New York and one in Michigan. So there are a few at least for sale at least in the same Continent as you.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:49 PM

Thank you for your help and advice! I’m in northern Ontario, very far from BC and importing won’t be easy. These were very popular in their day so hopefully there are still some around.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Ironically since you created this post, 3 different cb125s have posted for sale in my area. I don’t remember seeing any for sale before that.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

Personally, UJMs need tubular steel frame. Anything else just doesn't look correct.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Ironically since you created this post, 3 different cb125s have posted for sale in my area. I don’t remember seeing any for sale before that.
that’s amazing, where are you located? I did find a lovely cb100, incomplete barn find restoration but the Owner wanted way too much for it.

These are lovely period bikes and probably the iconic motorcycle throughout Asia as well as having been very popular in the West at the time. It offers subtle classic styling, along with decent power to weight ratio and is a very reliable commuter.

I have done some more digging and discovered that the cb125 has become popular for cafe racer/mod projects. Cb100 just seems be rare. It was rebadged as the cd100 in india, becoming it's most popular motorcycle in the 80s-2000s and there's a modern cbf125 still sold in some emerging markets.. with engines designed for lower maintenance.

Last edited by Johnjkjk; 11-19-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Convert CBR to classic 70s CB?