Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Why are these guys crashing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

well, it wasn't the rear that broke free in every vid. the blue and white gixxer tucks the front, rear grip was fine, front was what caused it. everyone that high sided realized it was happening, backed off of the throttle, and got catapulted off of the bike. the r6 wasn't smooth enough on the throttle - seemed like he was a good enough rider so i think the throttle cables being adjusted would have saved him.

best case scenario is to keep constant on the throttle because of two reasons 1) there's a slight chance you might get traction again, and it turns into a crazy slide and save or 2) once you lose traction and can't get it back, it insures a lowside as opposed to a highside.

its all tire related. i dont know if its because of temp though. it could also be a worn-ish tire, a tire with too many heat cycles on it - front or rear. i've tucked the front before on a corner that i've approached a million times at faster speed, but i didn't have enough tire left for it to hold traction.

it could have been cold tires though. and if they're all out there for the day trying to get a good pic of them on that corner, that makes a lot of sense. seems like a popular corner. the first guy is lucky considering how gnarled up the guard rale was where he hit it

Old 04-23-2011, 05:05 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ whether the front slide in or the rear slide out.. I think we can all agree that they were speeding.

Not that I have a problem with speeding or taking turns fast..

Jpan was just asking Why? they crashed.

I mean if they just took it at the 25 or 35 Posted MPH they would have been fine, you know?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM

okay I asked on another forum and they also said it was mainly due to throttle control, leaning too far, and over reacting. nuttin about cold tires.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
^^^ whether the front slide in or the rear slide out.. I think we can all agree that they were speeding.

Not that I have a problem with speeding or taking turns fast..

Jpan was just asking Why? they crashed.

I mean if they just took it at the 25 or 35 Posted MPH they would have been fine, you know?

i dont know, i disagree. i think every modern sportbike is capable of taking any corner way above the posted speed limit. i mean, think about it. the posted speed limit is for all vehicles on the road. think about all the cars/trucks you see on the road. i don't even think that the people we saw were going over 35mph. i don't think it was a speed issue, but yes, they were probably speeding.

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
okay I asked on another forum and they also said it was mainly due to throttle control, leaning too far, and over reacting. nuttin about cold tires.
ya, it did kinda look like people were leaning a bit too much for the speed they were going. it's still a traction thing either way you look at it though.

you know it is so cal in the canyons - there's probably a bunch of dust that gets thrown on the road constantly. if it hadn't had rained there in a long time, the road could be greasy.

when you have any kind of off, there is always a lil bit of coolant and oil that gets out and on the road. maybe it could have been a dominoe effect that once one guy went down, and another, that there was a lil bit of oil and coolant on the road. some of those guys were layin' it down really late in the corner - on exit.

idk, i'm sure its a combo of a lot of different things mentioned.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM

I'd go with a combination of things. Poor throttle control; poor body position (which increases lean angle, in turn decreasing traction), poor reaction to the imminent crash (I've had both front and rear break loose on the track many times, just ride through it and you have a better chance of coming out of it than hitting brakes or throttle, either of which almost assures a crash), and I'll add the poor traction due to tires, but I consider the other factors a greater contributor than the tire temperature. Let's not forget tire psi, also.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by randyjoy
I'd go with a combination of things. Poor throttle control; poor body position (which increases lean angle, in turn decreasing traction), poor reaction to the imminent crash (I've had both front and rear break loose on the track many times, just ride through it and you have a better chance of coming out of it than hitting brakes or throttle, either of which almost assures a crash), and I'll add the poor traction due to tires, but I consider the other factors a greater contributor than the tire temperature. Let's not forget tire psi, also.
I agree with you.Another thing is since there are photographers, on one video you can see the guy or gal looking at them,then over correcting for the turn.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
July 2008 ROTM

SO many things can cause a lapse in traction of a tire. Everything listed in this thread and then some. Hell, it could've been a penny sitting in the middle of the road.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 PM

Downgrade + slope of the road (almost banked) + lean + excessive speed = lowside. From the looks of the clips, they are hitting their exhaust/spools/fairings on the pavement that inititates the slippage.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a lot simpler than all that (or at least the primary reason): they're trying to show off and outride their bikes.

The corner it popular with the photographers. Probably a lot of them have already made arrangements to have their pic taken (or go back for them). They hit the corner and they try to drag a knee for the camera. Whatever error is waiting for them comes knocking.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 AM

thanks guys...appreciate it. it was bugging me all day

Quick Reply: Why are these guys crashing?