Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

My weekend at Deals Gap ** Pics updated 15APR **

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My weekend at Deals Gap ** Pics updated 15APR **

For those of you interested in seeing my pics, here are a few of me and two friends riding the Dragon's Tail in TN
Killboy.com Photos. If they get any photos of you.. buy them. They are great. The only thing I didn't like is they send them on a CD so you have to wait for them (less than a week), but they are 3mb each so most ISP email account will kick them back. But check these out.

Love this one for the disappearing curves
Name:  05219.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  104.3 KB

Again with the curves.... leaning for the right turn and you see the road to the left again.
Name:  04792.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  102.0 KB

You can see the two guys in the background that went with me. They are following me for photo reasons only.... much faster/better riders than I am . But hey... look at the tip of my shoe and you can see our faces.
Name:  02294.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  139.5 KB

We stopped and used my camera and the pics turn out good.

Group shot during our ride up

Name:  therideup.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  220.5 KB

The bikes....

Name:  thebeginning.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  175.3 KB

The sign

Name:  thesign.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  227.9 KB

The "Tree of Shame" parts for wrecked bikes.

Name:  treeofshame.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  185.0 KB

Time travel anyone....

Name:  timetravel.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  185.8 KB

Me

Name:  me1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  180.1 KB

Me again...

Name:  me2.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  252.5 KB

Still me...

Name:  me3.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  222.1 KB

Nice shadow

Name:  me4.jpg
Size:  184.8 KB

going...

Name:  me5.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  244.2 KB

Gone...

Name:  me6.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  193.5 KB

The new look on my tail showing off the dragon decals

Name:  newtail.jpg
Size:  94.5 KB

Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Default RE: My weekend at Deals Gap

Where r u riding from??
Nice pix though

Old 04-05-2006, 01:27 AM

Nice bikes.

Don, why do you hug the inside line in the first pics, and then in the 2nd set, your real close to that double yellow line. That's scary man.

Looks like real nice roads though, doesn't look like there's a lot of gravel, pretty clean.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:24 AM

helps to look...from Va Beach huh

I think i am going up real soon if i can make money this weekend and this coming week

Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 AM

damn that place looks NICE. i can't wait to go there!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 AM

Awesome Delorean, great pics, still cant lean that far. How long did it take you to get comfortable to lean in that far. I guess I just dont trust myself yet.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Retired Mod

awesome pics don! that place is an absolute sportbike heaven. the daily commute will never be the same again.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:37 AM

Nice i wish i could go there... oh is it me or is that girl hott???

Old 04-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Retired Administrator

The pics are taken at Deals Gap, aka The Dragon's Tail. For Reference, look at tailofthedragon.com or dealsgap.com.

North Carolina and Tennessee border in the Smoky Mountains. US route 129 has a famous section of 11 miles with 318 turns. I'm hugging the lines at time because if you can see through the corner.... you use it. The roads are very, very smooth and clean. Cops stay out of the 11 miles until someone crashes and then they only go there for that. BUT!!! On the side with hotel, you have about 9 or 10 miles of long straights around a lake THAT DOES ALWAYS HAVE A COP AT THE BOAT LAUNCHES. I know, I missed him by one mile. I had a Harley Road King crash behind me and I stopped to flag traffic. Once they pulled the 60 year old out from under the Harley and got him to the side, you could tell his shoulder and left leg were in need of some casting. Not to mention his face was cut all up.... go skull caps. Any ways, there is no such thing as cell phone signals in the mountains so I hit the last two mile of the Dragon hard then found the straights (my first time through). There is nothing after the Dragon for 10 miles and I was look for a phone so I could call for help. I was hitting the straights in the 130's and gave up at 8 miles.... 9 miles is where the cop sits. Can you say jail time boys and girls. So freaking lucky. I didn't know how far the nearest phone was on my side so I gave up and went back to the wreck. Other riders went the other way to report the wreck.

Point is... if you go, be carful of the straight after the Dragon, the locals mentioned after the fact that a cop is always waiting at one of the many boat launches after the ride. They give us the Dragon and nothing else.

Awesome week end for a 10 hour drive. Hope to return soon.... I've never had the privilege of riding anything like this before. So many 180 degree turns and great traffic. Everyone moves to the right for faster traffic.

And to answer the question about my lean... I'm a puss compared to the riders here. This place is full of full leather riders dragging there knees all the way through. A lot of pro riders play here on the week-ends. You can find several pull-over areas along the way to stop at. We did so we could take a few pictures and got to watch riders zip by dragging knees with sparks flying. Kind of a humbling feeling. You're doing great (in your own mind).... dragging your boots in corners and then someone comes by putting on a light show with his.... and hers, knees. There are a lot of great riders there, both male and female. And the other thing that puts you in your place.... wait until someone with a pillion passes you ...

Old 04-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: Way2Cool

Nice i wish i could go there... oh is it me or is that girl hott???
She is hot... she was a pillion that passed me on an R1

Quick Reply: My weekend at Deals Gap ** Pics updated 15APR **