Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

My new helmet, for those of you interested

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new helmet, for those of you interested

ORIGINAL: BlindLOKI

Hey guys, I posted here a few days ago about my new helmet purchase. Its a THH-TS 40. got it for 60 bucks on motorcycle superstore, heres the pics... I am VERY pleased with the fit/finish so far. Only thing I found even remotely wrong is it seems someone fell asleep at the glue machine. Ill re-glue the rear "spoiler" and maybe some of the inside catches. The liner buttons in/out very securely, and the visor works great. Now... to get it on the road lol. Im gonna like it a lot better than my HJC I believe... awesome for the price I paid...

Helmet Pics

While your there... feel free to browse all my images: Right Here

And for those that were "worried" I see it has the snell 2000 sticker as well as the dot. I dont care as long as its DOT. Also, it has like 2 or 3 other standards it meets... I figured it was just numbers hahah...

Chris
Hey man I got the THH T-888 love it. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3292/68D7AD0A8BF140CC86029E4B66C585D7.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2006, 07:23 PM

im sure im wrong on this but i look at it this way: i think you really pay 600 bucks for the "niceities" of the helmet i.e. less noise, lighter, nicer fit. I think that any helmet you wear is going to protect your head. DOT or SNELL isnt going to endorse a product they dont think is going to protect you.

I tried arai, shoei, and hjc and went with hjc, not on cost but fit and stuff. I just liked how it fit to me personally. Sure i could buy the 600 dollar helmet and say im cool now and i got the greatest helmet and then everytime i ride feel so damned umcomfortable it sucks to ride.

the otherway i look at it is hjc and the other low cost brands are doing well you still see their product out their and selling so i figger they must be good.

another point to consider is there are just some crashes that i dont think it would matter what youre wearing.

yes im a newb to this forum and say what you want to me, i take no offense. its just simply my opinion. and i feel a lot of others feel the same way i do.

other thing i dont plan on doing 130mph on the backroads etc.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Retired Administrator

This is starting to be entertaining... ding, ding.... round 3

Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 PM

well actually to tell u the truth hjc makes 2 type of helmets ones with a cheaper and one with a higher end material for racing and those who want to spend the real money... to save there head .Yes a helmet will not help in all situations but ill take one that will help in more then the other... i am not starting an arguement here and yes a part of that high price is name , however u look at a arai for instance. handmade by one person start to finish. hand laid and bonded material each helmet is tested and documented . umm cheap helmet a big pile of hot plastic poured into a mold , tossed in water and painted . Some 10 year old kid in tiawan glues it together for 2 cents an hour and in no time at all theres ur new 70 dollar helmet. they test 1 in every 2000 or so , depends when the kid who glued it together father sobers up and gets 2 work for his 3 cents an hour, remember he is the quality inspector so he makes an xtra 1 cent an hour. i dont wanna keeep pissin off blinkloki but like he said when he got it he had to glue some stuff back together lol it is brand frikin new ... wtf dude this is to protect your head why be so frikin cheap why even argue, deep down u know im right and your just acting plain old stupid, there is no way u can be that dumb . Wake up.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:37 PM

Bike looks awesome. And about the helmet, I know what you mean about spending $600 or so on a helmet. I can't really afford it either, I look for the helmets in the $200 range. And everyone always says get an arai or shoei. I went to a local dealer the other day and tried on a arai and hated it, so then I tried on a shoei and didn't like the fit of that either. Why should I spend that much money to get a helmet that isn't comfortable. I tried on an icon helmet and it was comfortable, everyone says that they are noisey, but who cares. You want everything to be quiet buy a goldwing so you can have a giant windscreen in front of you. Right now I have a HJC CL-14 and like the fit, I'm actually looking at their new AC-12?? I think thats what its called. I have heard that a few guys really like the fit and its alot quieter than their older helmets.
Heres a pic of the HJC

I have also been looking at the KBC helmets because they look really good for the money, but I haven't tried one on yet. But what ever decision I make I'll be happy with it even if someone says its junk I'll feel sorry for you when you go down. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but you don't have to tell the guy that he made a horrible decision, and the people that make the helmets are making .02 an hour but what ever your gonna do what you want to anyway.

Peace
-Jesse-

Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 PM

i had an ac-12 king mingus hjc it was a great helmet and used the advanced polymer versus injection molded plastic it was light and strong i crashed at 160 on it and am still here to talk about it , it was alil noiseier then a shoei how ever it was very comfortable but that is hjc's top of line helmet it was worth the money i believe it was around 450 canadian i had no complaints bout it , it was a great helmet

Old 01-15-2006, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: speedy

i had an ac-12 king mingus hjc it was a great helmet and used the advanced polymer versus injection molded plastic it was light and strong i crashed at 160 on it and am still here to talk about it , it was alil noiseier then a shoei how ever it was very comfortable but that is hjc's top of line helmet it was worth the money i believe it was around 450 canadian i had no complaints bout it , it was a great helmet
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to get that helmet in black, I found it here for around $200 US I saw their new carbon AC-12 and thet really caught my eye but I'm not going to spend an extra $150 just for the carbon. I paid $150 for my CL-14 but its green/black/white and the F4i I just picked up is red/black so it doesn't really match LOL.

-Jesse-

Old 01-15-2006, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: speedy

well actually to tell u the truth hjc makes 2 type of helmets ones with a cheaper and one with a higher end material for racing and those who want to spend the real money... to save there head .Yes a helmet will not help in all situations but ill take one that will help in more then the other... i am not starting an arguement here and yes a part of that high price is name , however u look at a arai for instance. handmade by one person start to finish. hand laid and bonded material each helmet is tested and documented . umm cheap helmet a big pile of hot plastic poured into a mold , tossed in water and painted . Some 10 year old kid in tiawan glues it together for 2 cents an hour and in no time at all theres ur new 70 dollar helmet. they test 1 in every 2000 or so , depends when the kid who glued it together father sobers up and gets 2 work for his 3 cents an hour, remember he is the quality inspector so he makes an xtra 1 cent an hour. i dont wanna keeep pissin off blinkloki but like he said when he got it he had to glue some stuff back together lol it is brand frikin new ... wtf dude this is to protect your head why be so frikin cheap why even argue, deep down u know im right and your just acting plain old stupid, there is no way u can be that dumb . Wake up.

This will be the final time I respond to you and you alone speedy, so please, do me a favor and FKIN READ THIS TIME cheers...

Have you read the tests done in motorcyclist magazine? No? How did I guess? Ive told you at least once that in there, all the "cheap plastic helmets" (which you noted in your above post) OUTPERFORMED MANY HELMETS MADE OF MORE EXPENSIVE "higher end material for racing and those who want to spend the real money." NOW tell me... who got suckered here? Me, who spent less on a helmet that will most likely protect my head BETTER than one I could have spent "real money" on, or the people like YOU, who choose to spend the "real money" without looking at REAL TEST DATA. Motorcyclist magazine did not do their research just to say "Oh, so go buy this helmet" They did VERY extensive tests, and came up with excellent results. They brought in SEVERAL experts (most of which think snell is a gimick to raise money, cause it prolly is) and ALL experts had a hand in the data that was produced. ALL experts agreed where some helmets failed, others passed with flying colors. It obviously hit a button that REAL data shows snell isnt up to snuff, as snell replied rather snidely about it, and because of that... pffft... there goes my respect for snell, and the usual price jump its emblem carries.
Anyway, thats not all of what im trying to say. Im trying to say that, as a consumer, I would like to save some of my hard earned money if it is possible to get the same kind of product. My helmet, I feel, will protect JUST AS GOOD as those "magic 500 dollar" helmets that everyone HAS to have... ("its gotta be good man, come on, it costs 500 bucks. that just screams yummy goodness... right?") The only thing wrong with my helmet was a little bit of glueing wasnt quite secure. The helmet itself is in excellent condition. Everything is the way its supposed to be... If I were to neglect the glue, The helmet would still be just as safe. Its not like there was no glue at all, or nothing holding anything together, its just the wing on the back (nothing but looks... same reason some helmets cost so much ) wasnt sticking ALL THE WAY AROUND. I am a perfectionist, and like to see it stick... all the way around. No big deal if the wing falls off... its just a piece of plastic that helps airflow coming OUT of the helmet... who gives a job?

You drive 130 on the backroads? Thats what "plain out aggresive street riders on back roads..." means right... Whats this safety shtick your giving me then? hahah... wtf?

Whats your beef with textile jackets? many hold

Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM

Thanks jesse for standin up for others beliefs, you da man. I appreciate someone with an open mind, that sees things in different ways that actually relate to the real world...

you too steve, glad you got a helmet you like... thats whats important. If it fits good w/ good protection, who cares if a shoe is worn by "insert famous shtick here" because its "better". yeah right, guess how much that guy makes just for puttin on the thing...

Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Retired Mod

wow. lots of love in this thread! lol. anyway, nice find on a cheap helmet. i like the looks but ive never heard of the company before. do you have any links for the helmet tests that are refered to above? im in the market for a new helmet and i would like to be better informed on the safety issues before i buy. and definately let us know how the thh is holding up after some miles and such.

and for my addition to the arguments: any helmet is better than no helmet. i don't believe that companies could legally sell a helmet that didn't meet the preset standards. some may be better than others, but none are bad.

Quick Reply: My new helmet, for those of you interested