Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

My first trip to the dragon:

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first trip to the dragon:

I was going to divide this up into lists of the good vs. the bad, but most items would fall into both categories. For example:

The Cops- I counted 7 in the 11 mile stretch. At first, I didn't like seeing all of the cops, but after I realized how dangerous some of the curves were, I was glad that they are there. It kept me in check and I didn't push (or exceed) my limits. ALSO- I had absolutely NO cell phone service out there. All the more reason I was happy to see the cops. Besides, 35 mph is still enough to drag a knee on some of those curves.

Photographers- What a distraction! But I sure was happy to see some of the photos!

Name:  DragonRide3-3.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  DealsGap3.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB

Traffic- WATCH OUT FOR SEMI's! They shouldn't even be allowed on that road. They have no choice but to take up both lanes when going around some of those curves.

Other motorcycles- It's fun to watch other people drag a knee, but not when they are passing you in a curve while doing it. ALSO- I had an oncoming Harley come right into the middle of my lane during a curve. I simply prepared to crash, but I got lucky. I think I missed him by about a foot, but it felt like less than an inch.

I stayed in Gatlinburg so I could go to the bars at night with my brother-in-laws. Good times. If I would change one thing- I probably wouldn't have rode my 1000RR all the way there. That was a little painful!

If I am completely honest with myself, I also found out that I am not as good of a rider as I though I was. I know now that I can make a lot of improvements for turns and curves.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Default RE: My first trip to the dragon:

Also, I couldn't believe one guy who passed me. He had threads showing on hos back tire- really bad! It looked like he painted a white stripe around his tire. I found a photo of him:

Name:  DealsGaptire.jpg
Size:  18.7 KB

I hope I never become THAT comfortable on my bike. I hope he didn't end up like this guy:

Name:  DealsGapcrash.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  48.9 KB

Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice road huh??

what dates were you there?? memorial day weekend n I think one other weekend was the only tyme the LEO have been real bad (in numbers). And they have been worlds better dealing with ppl this year.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM

The road was more amazing than I anticipated. I can't wait to go again

I was there May 31st (Saturday). It seemed that they weren't really trying to "catch" people. I didn't see any clocking speeds, they just made themselves present and responded to the accidents (yes, that was plural).

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Onarom

The road was more amazing than I anticipated. I can't wait to go again

I was there May 31st (Saturday). It seemed that they weren't really trying to "catch" people. I didn't see any clocking speeds, they just made themselves present and responded to the accidents (yes, that was plural).

yea I havent heard a bad report about the LEOs this year. Basically you push it too far n you will get a ticket n a lil friendly talk. Other than that they wave n smile n be seen.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Where is that?? I would love to ride it, but I'm still working on the cornering so most of those corners would be butt puckerers

Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Midnightcivic

Where is that?? I would love to ride it, but I'm still working on the cornering so most of those corners would be butt puckerers
Tail of the Dragon (google it) 318 curves in 11 miles. THe best road I have ever ridden (when its not wheel to wheel traffic). I am less then 3 hours from it so.. We (SBG) is having our rally up there at the end of July. I love it up there n most of 129 is a overall nice road even down here in GA.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM

I WANNA GO!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 PM

I do want to make a trip down there this summer around late July early August. Unfortanetly, I do worry about someone taking me out riding above their limits. [&:]

Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

I do want to make a trip down there this summer around late July early August. Unfortanetly, I do worry about someone taking me out riding above their limits. [&:]
best way to combat that is to stay well within your limits and aways watching out for the iggits.

Quick Reply: My first trip to the dragon: