Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

My first crash..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first crash..

Well, I'm surprised i made it this long without wrecking, but, it happened today. I Lowslid coming out of a corner at about 40mph. And of course, it was the one time i decided not to wear a jacket... EDIT: I was wearing pants, not the shorts you see in the pic, i wore those to the ER. I had helmet, gloves, pants and shoes on, just no jacket. I just went out for a short cruise to kill some time while dinner was cooking.... Well, the wife INSISTED i go to the ER, even though i was 99% sure i was OK. Went to the hospital, they did a full check on me, all clear except the obvious road rash.

Me:

The bike:

The scene:

The corner:
Map

As you can see from the scene picture, i was coming from the south making the turn as a left. And i was just about to bring the bike up from the lean, and I don't if i just had to much lean, or there was some fresh grass clippings on the road, cause they just mowed. But I'm pretty sure it was all me, just too much lean/angle for the speed i was going.

Now, what should i look out for in a left hand turn, low slide at about 40 mph? Damage wise to the bike. Cosmetics i don't care. Could my forks be bent? cracked engine? Anything major i should check? She did flip once i believe before coming to a halt, as in, sliding on her left side, hit the grass flipping over to rest on her right side, **I ASSUME** I have no idea what she actually did, but its the only explanation i have for my right mirror missing, but the rest of my right side fairings to be fine, and nothing damaged on that side. She also fired right up after i picked it up, and i drove it home, which was only about 3 miles, and topped at 60 MPH. Seemed fine then. Any heads up?

Last edited by Susa; 07-17-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added clarification
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM

Wow, sorry to hear/see that. Glad you're okay. I'm no help giving you advice what to look for as far as your bike goes though. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 PM

Glad your ok man..

As far as the Motorcycle Goes... Just Check everything good.. I low slidded at about 35MPH and my bike went into a "ditch" (i say "ditch" becuase it was probably a foot down from the actually road) and it took a second for her to start up but once she got started she ran perfect.. checked everything out... and other than some cosmetics everything was good.. I would say She's ok considering you rode her home and got her up to speed for a little bit.. But just do a nice check make sure your not leaking anything in the morning..

and you've probably seen this a lot but ATGATT! Never know when it could happen!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dfbewley2
Glad your ok man..

As far as the Motorcycle Goes... Just Check everything good.. I low slidded at about 35MPH and my bike went into a "ditch" (i say "ditch" becuase it was probably a foot down from the actually road) and it took a second for her to start up but once she got started she ran perfect.. checked everything out... and other than some cosmetics everything was good.. I would say She's ok considering you rode her home and got her up to speed for a little bit.. But just do a nice check make sure your not leaking anything in the morning..

and you've probably seen this a lot but ATGATT! Never know when it could happen!
Exactly. I am ATGATT for life now. I'll try to make a quick vid or something of her. I was slightly worried cause immediately after the crash, i went to her to turn the key off, (she was already off) and i looked between the fairings and saw some hoses (looked like overflow), and they were leaking clear fluid. I didn't think of it much then, with panic set in and all. But i believe it was just radiator drainage, cause i look in my garage now, and there's no puddles under her. Thanks for positivity

Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 AM

Always got to be positive! if your negative you wont go anywhere! And also if you look at the crash negatively it will be tough to get back on the saddle. HAHAHA!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok.

I had my first crash (lowslide) on my Blackbird a few weeks back. What I did to check the front forks was to remove the front and side fairings and just eyeball it. You are probably fine though. It's not like you to boned anything. Just check your fluid levels and wash the bike. Whilst washing check for small details (thing that came loose, missing screws etc.)

Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 PM

24 hours later:

Some of my tattoo came off with the gauze :O

Looks worse than it feels TBH. Just feels like a -really- bad sunburn. Learned my lesson though for sure. The worst part was in the ER. When the nurses had to clean it, they used a sponge to rub it down, and to get the asphalt chunks out, they had to use, basically, a giant tooth brush. Bristles and all, and scrub it down. Hard.

Ride safe and ATGATT guys!!

Last edited by Susa; 07-18-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you were wearing pants. What kind and are those friction burns on your knees from the pants sliding? Or did it burn through?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Just jeans. My left leg, didn't even tear a hole. My right leg it tore a quarter sized hole in. I think it was from when i tumbled. I did about 4 or 5 barrel rolls.

Edit: Which brings up another question.. What would you guys reccommend for leg gear? I mean. 90% of my riding is commute. So i was thinking an overpant. But after see what can happen through jean. Wondering if it would be overkill to get full leather / padded legs.

Last edited by Susa; 07-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i know that has to burn like he!!

im glad youre ok other than that.

Quick Reply: My first crash..