Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Interesting motorcycle pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrice
That's all I want. All I want from Honda is to do a production model of that engine. I'm not expecting 250 hp, but I want it to be big bang.

This is one of the coolest motors ever designed. I think it's the coolest motorcycle engine.

It's been 6 years since it was retired - and nothing has been as cool in motogp since. Even the desmo motors - they've got nothing on the V5.
That engine is pure sex!!!!!! Oh what i would do for one of them.... hell it can sit on my coffee table so I can drool over it all day... just saying

Last edited by regener8ed; 09-20-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: no need to quote all them pics
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gtcole
That engine is pure sex!!!!!! Oh what i would do for one of them.... hell it can sit on my coffee table so I can drool over it all day... just saying
Seriously, sometimes I wish I would have chosen to go the mechanical engineering route in college so I could engineer one of these for myself.

The concept is so cool. And it's a valve spring'ed head, so I can't see why it'd be too much work for Honda to change the bore and stroke, mellow out the cams, and put this into production. Who wouldn't want one??

Apparently, back in 2009, one of the pre-race edition engines somehow survived, and was for sale on Ebay with a frame for 10,000 euro's. It wasn't race spec, but still... That would have been awesome, but working out the electronics would have been a bitch! MicroSquirt only does 4 cyl. vehicles. Plus, you'd have to build a set of TB's as it didn't come with.

Oh, well. I can deam, can't I?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Welcome Crew

Microsquirt may only handle 4 cyls but.... Mega squirt handles up to 12 if I remember correctly. And with mega squirt being a diy board, I see no reason why we couldn't build our own, capable of handling the 5 and repackage it in form somewhere between micro and mega to handle fuel. Spark I doubt would be too difficult. I mean there are ignitions for 5 cylinder cars thattake very lil room.... II'd love to have the opportunity to try anyway.. Shoulda went to a different school lol

Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Microsquirt may only handle 4 cyls but.... Mega squirt handles up to 12 if I remember correctly. And with mega squirt being a diy board, I see no reason why we couldn't build our own, capable of handling the 5 and repackage it in form somewhere between micro and mega to handle fuel. Spark I doubt would be too difficult. I mean there are ignitions for 5 cylinder cars thattake very lil room.... II'd love to have the opportunity to try anyway.. Shoulda went to a different school lol
Why wouldn't you use the megasquirt for the ignition allso? Whit right components and right type coils that would be all you need. Here in Finland they use megasquirt for allmost everyone off old carb bikes that have been converted for fuel injection. Whit that conversion they usely change allso to direct ignition coils.

Last edited by mika_u; 09-20-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome Crew

Originally Posted by mika_u
Why wouldn't you use the megasquirt for the ignition allso? Whit right components and right type coils that would be all you need. Here in Finland they use megasquirt for allmost everyone off old carb bikes that have been converted for fuel injection. Whit that conversion they usely change allso to direct ignition coils.
If I was able to do it, I would actually use megasquirt for all of it. I used megasquirt personally to tune turbod ford probes. i am actually researching and thinking about converting my f2 to fi. I was just thinking simplest and smallest form factor for placement on the bike. Megasquirt is a big housing size, microsquirt is smaller, yes but perhaps not suitable to control 5 individual cylinders. Thats why I was thinking outside the box so to speak.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

If I was able to do it, I would actually use megasquirt for all of it. I used megasquirt personally to tune turbod ford probes. i am actually researching and thinking about converting my f2 to fi. I was just thinking simplest and smallest form factor for placement on the bike. Megasquirt is a big housing size, microsquirt is smaller, yes but perhaps not suitable to control 5 individual cylinders. Thats why I was thinking outside the box so to speak.
I actually don't know what are the actually components they use when they set the megas to bikes but they are usually oil-air cooled fightered turbo gsx-r/gsx:s and older turbo blades so they don't have much room to fit it whit the custom tails etc. They don't use microsquirt at all for some reason.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Oh man, MegaSquirt - I don't know why I didn't think of that...

I think the reason a lot of fighter-ers don't use MicroSquirt is because A) you build Megasquirt and B)it can do more functions.

I liked the idea of Microsquirt though because it was the size of an Altoids tin. And, it was weatherproofed...

Old 09-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Welcome Crew

Yeah, megasquirt can control boost controllers fans just about everything needed for any kind of application but as was mentioned above, microsquirt is smaller and able to hide in more locations. I think the biggest physical size I have seen personally with microsquirt is a shade under the factory f2 cdi. Most are as previously stated the size of a small altoids tin.

I think the main reason they arent used as much is people seem to shy away from the great "black box". If I was going fighter, oh yeah, definately microsquirt amongst other things. Its actually pretty economical too if you know what to find. the preassembled cpu, made for controlling spark and fuel, with neccessary inputs is 458. Then the various sensors and throttle boddles, injectors, what not. All in is possible for under 1000. Thats fully programmable stand alone system. Not bad when you think of the alternatives. Never have to change jets and go through the sizing issues, reliability to crank at just about any temp... Ok, just about reconvinced myself to do it to my bike again lol. Back to dreaming....

EDIT: just checked email and was given a link and confirmation, microsquirt v3 can support up to 4 injectors per bank so, technically can run up to v8

microsquirt v3

Last edited by gtcole; 09-20-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Ha, Maybe I found another project for a rainy month if it ever happens in SD Would be fun to FI and build a new EMS. No real reason other than the fun of it. Oh and I would be ashamed of what I would do for that engine...

Old 09-20-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Ha, Maybe I found another project for a rainy month if it ever happens in SD Would be fun to FI and build a new EMS. No real reason other than the fun of it. Oh and I would be ashamed of what I would do for that engine...

Quick Reply: Interesting motorcycle pictures