Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

I did it! (Or actually SHE did it!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did it! (Or actually SHE did it!)

Well, after many subtle hints... and quite honestly, some not so subtle My girlfriend and I finally did some shopping and as you can see, the results are outstanding!

Name:  1b9788c577f666c433f748532007d97b_zpsa7554918.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  103.5 KB

So in her brand new (correctly fitting) helmet, jacket and gloves she climbed onto the back of the bike for the first time, and I can honestly say that together we had my favorite ride so far. Hopefully the first of many... and maybe one day... just maybe... she'll want to ride along side me on a bike of her own...

(Heck, I got this far on hopes! May as well keep hoping!)

By the way I have read many articles and posts on Two Up riding to prepare herself and myself before going out... so thanks to those who shared (I'm lookin' at you Misti )

Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Well, after many subtle hints... and quite honestly, some not so subtle My girlfriend and I finally did some shopping and as you can see, the results are outstanding!

So in her brand new (correctly fitting) helmet, jacket and gloves she climbed onto the back of the bike for the first time, and I can honestly say that together we had my favorite ride so far. Hopefully the first of many... and maybe one day... just maybe... she'll want to ride along side me on a bike of her own...

By the way I have read many articles and posts on Two Up riding to prepare herself and myself before going out... so thanks to those who shared (I'm lookin' at you Misti )
YAY!!! Lookin good and I'm glad you find some helpful info in my posts and articles Happy and safe riding to the two of you!!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have her take the msf course, and get her license. It will make her a better passenger....

By the time she makes the leap to her own bike, and she eventually will, she will have had the license for a while and the course completed. That will mean cheaper insurance for her. The insurance companies want to know how long you've been licensed, not if you've actually ridden.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Brilliant! Well done and good for you both.............

Mrs SB started off as pillion with me about 4 years ago, and after some long trips she (with some prompting from her son and myself) embarked on her own license.

Now she rides all over the world! On HER own bike.

Be gentle, be kind and share the riding experience. If your lovely lady (and she does make the kit look OUTSTANDING ), wants to ride along side you rather than behind. She will.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 AM

Congrats man!

I was just now thinking to get my GF some riding gear so she could ride with me.

I kinda wanna surprise her with it, but I think a surprise trip to the gear shop will be better. (In the car of course)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Misti
I'm glad you find some helpful info in my posts and articles
Always helpful information from you... you must be one heck of a riding coach

Originally Posted by 74demon
Have her take the msf course, and get her license. It will make her a better passenger....
I totally agree, and it's a good way to get a little "front seat time" for her without having to buy a bike yet! See if there are any sparks!

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Be gentle, be kind and share the riding experience. If your lovely lady (and she does make the kit look OUTSTANDING ), wants to ride along side you rather than behind. She will.
Well put SB! I made sure I let her know my #1 goal (beyond her safety) was for her to enjoy the experience WITH me, not just be a passenger to my enjoyment Oh and I shared this thread link with her specifically so she could know that someone (other than me, who is apparently biased) thought she looked good in her gear! So thanks for the (tastefully stated) back up on that!

Originally Posted by Sickler
I kinda wanna surprise her with it, but I think a surprise trip to the gear shop will be better.
I was in the same boat! I am a "surprise gifter" by nature, and I wanted to do the same... but I am very glad we went together, becuase I was looking at the "girly" stuff, and it turns out she was leaning more towards the "Bad A$$" look... who knew! Plus I think it added to her security to have one of the guys at the gear shop explain "Helmet 101" to her, and help her get the correct fit.

Thanks everyone! I don't normally reply to each individual response to a thread, but like I said, I shared this with her and I wanted you all to know that I appreciate the positive attitude of the members here. It helps alot.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Man how did you do it? Lol. Congrats on convincing her to ride with you. Maybe she can talk to my wife and convince her then they can talk about their mutual love for cats. Be safe!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh my gf is chopping at the bit to ride pillion. Only 2 problems:
  1. I have NEVER hae a passenger
  2. Her "gear" she used when riding pillion with her dad isn't up to mountain biking

The never had a passenger is the biggest concern. Revzilla is only 10 min away so gear isn't a problem

Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanks Tele1650! I'd like to take credit for my amazing skill at being convincing, but really I just think she wanted to try it! Although she didn't seem opposed to a long discussion on the topic of cats with your wife, so maybe that's an option!

Kuroshio, I was nervous about having her on the back too a little. But her having the right gear and information made me feel alot better. And even though it's not the same as riding with her dad, it sounds like your GF has got some experience so that could only help. Do like us, we are still in the "short trips on quiet backroads" portion of the learning experience, until we are BOTH more comfortable

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jmeekman

Three thumbs up; for the Two-up riding, the gear, and the girl.