Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

how to wheelie vid

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to wheelie vid

ORIGINAL: Turboedsupe

ORIGINAL: jg

I have a question on this.

On the rare occasion my front wheel comes up I notice that my bars move around and the wheel does not seem to stay very stright, but when I come down it's all good. I ride a 2004 CBR 1000RR with HESD steering dampner. I thought that device kept your bars solid at times like this. Am I wrong, or is the HESD on my bike broken.

Can someone who knows answer this one for me.

Thank you.
Well you have to keep the bars straight on your own. That device keeps your turned wheel from turning into a tank slapper on landing. Just get used to the front coming up and try to relax and control exactly which way your handle bars are turning. Are you located in phoenix by any chance?
totally off topic, but dang turbo....your bike is the nicest of its age I have in so long...just can't get over it...nice ride bro!!

Old 03-09-2006, 01:00 AM
jg

I was just in Scottsdale this last few days. Very nice area. Would consider moving there someday.

But I really appreciatte your answer and I will certainly consider your words next time she comes up on me.

thanks very much.

jg

Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 AM

seen this vid but still a great vid for wheelies, i guess later on youll figure out the balance point....

Old 03-12-2006, 11:11 AM

Great Video

Old 03-12-2006, 08:38 PM

I wheelie my bike and have for a while. Only ONE problem I see with this vid!!!!.......that's ONLY true on the LARGER cc'd bikes!! I'm sorry, but unless you weigh 150 or less, then MAYBE a 600 will come up on it's own, but NO way will it if you weigh very much at ALL. I'm not fat, but I'm a larger guy. (i should be on a 1k, which I have now) But, with my 05 600rr, I have to get it up to around 7k rpm's dump the throttle then JERK it back open. It comes up ok then, but not just by rolling on it! HOWEVER, that being said, THE VIDEO IS AWESOME for beginners. My buddy had NEVER wheelied, and since I sent him the link, he's been layin down some BIG time wheelies. 2 weeks and he's goin over 3 blocks!!!! I think that's good anyways. Took me FOREVER!

Old 03-13-2006, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: drumpro80

I wheelie my bike and have for a while. Only ONE problem I see with this vid!!!!.......that's ONLY true on the LARGER cc'd bikes!! I'm sorry, but unless you weigh 150 or less, then MAYBE a 600 will come up on it's own, but NO way will it if you weigh very much at ALL. I'm not fat, but I'm a larger guy. (i should be on a 1k, which I have now) But, with my 05 600rr, I have to get it up to around 7k rpm's dump the throttle then JERK it back open. It comes up ok then, but not just by rolling on it! HOWEVER, that being said, THE VIDEO IS AWESOME for beginners. My buddy had NEVER wheelied, and since I sent him the link, he's been layin down some BIG time wheelies. 2 weeks and he's goin over 3 blocks!!!! I think that's good anyways. Took me FOREVER!
Yeah i was trying to see what kind of kawi he was riding cause like you said, with my 600rr i gotta get it up to at least 8-10k to get the front up....

Old 03-18-2006, 08:08 PM

honestly, I think it's a kawi zx12. I'm not 100% ON THAT though. I know it's at least a thousand tho. My new Gixxer 1k will come up on command! And sometimes without. My girl weighs 120 pounds and if SHE cracks the throttle open on the 05 600rr, it comes up on her! But, it's around the powerband that it does it. But, I weigh around 210. not happenin with me! Like I said, I have to take it up to around 6 or 7 SORT OF hard, and then DUMP the throttle, and INSTANTLY snap it back open, using the front forks' recoil as a spring. And it'll stand STRAIGHT up. And for you smaller guys, watch that, cause it'll loop with me, and I can't imagine what it would do if I only weighed around 150!!!!! Have fun and ride safe!

Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 PM

He's riding a kawasaki zx 636, with a sprocket that lets him roll on wheelie power easier. The guy in the video is Dave Sonsky he wrote for Super Bike magazine for a year back in 2003 and he is one of the worlds foremost instructors of wheelie schools. Ive seen pics of him doing 12 oclock endos in pouring rain. That guy can wheelie anything with two wheels, period.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:06 AM

actually, not to argue, but you ARE right....in one instance. He is NOT riding the same bike! I actually see him on 3 different ones. He's next to a 636, look at the graphics on the kawi he rides with the power wheelies, then the one he's next to while he's talkin, two different ones. And, with the 2 mile, he says he's on a FAZER 1000! A stripped down R1. (naked). Much different. And he doesn't say anything about sprocket conversions. That's my only dissagreement with that. Don't mistake this as an arguement towards you Armstrong, you actually got me wondering, so I watched it again.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 AM

Yes, on the two mile wheelie he is riding a fazer 1000, but on most of the video its a black kwacker 636. The reason I know he has a sprocket change is that most stunters use altered gearing in order to help the bike to punch up to the balance point. In his writing in Super Bike magazine he refers to his own bikes ( always a Kawasaki 600 series) and he uses 1 tooth (down) up front for all the bikes he stunts with, assuming this is one of his bikes I would bet my life that his gears are arranged this way, and you cant tell because the front sprocket is under the fairing. This is how his bike is lifting so easily off the ground at 7000 rpm. I canged my gearing beacuse of his articles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4965/779D7C2B14C143FBB7735DD387B99FE3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: how to wheelie vid