Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Helmets are nice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets are nice

I have stopped bringing personal things into here since we seem to have enough drama, but this is good to share for a reason. It's my brother and I've spent all weekend in and out of hospitals with him. Four wheeler rolled over on him. Bars crushed his chest, but nothing broken. Then the front end used his face as a pivot to flip over. Open fracture where the upper and lower jaw connect, two more fractures on the lower jaw and one under his right eye.

Anyways... This is why you and I choose to wear helmets. He's eating through a straw for the next two weeks (or more) and will never pass another metal detector again. 4.5 hours of surgery to add 4 metal plates to his face. And he's already home. They gave him the option of staying to be evaluated or coming back in for them. He's home. Guess he wanted to clean up the four wheeler, it is a Honda.

Name:  05-25-08_1859.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  05-25-08_1839.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 PM
RCR
Default RE: Helmets are nice

Damn. One of those guys that has to learn for himself huh. Looks painful for sure.

Hope recorvery goes well and a helmet will be the first thing he grabs from now on i'll bet.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Retired Administrator

Meds are wearing off and I think he's in a little more pain today.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Im sorry to see this Don, but he is going to need a good prescription of analgesics, antibiotics, and naproxen for that swolen face, and the most important... rest and time to heal. It's going to be aslow recovery for a few months.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 AM

and no he has to wear that helmet on his head...I rarely ever wore a helmet when I rode dirtbikes....my mom would say your not riding without a helmet, I would put it on...get on the trails and take it off...young and dumb...Im lucky too had a few good wrecks but nothing that sent me to the hospital like that.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Pat him on the back (when he's well medicated) and tell him that CBRForum wishes him a speedy recovery!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Retired Administrator

He hates helmets and this will not change his mind. I don't even try anymore. He would reply that the helmet would have broken his neck from the extra weight or something like that. He's only 18 months older than me, but guess he's leaning toward the older generations. Doesn't like seat belts, air bags or really anything that deals with safety.

Yes, I am the nerd you see wearing safety glasses when I'm using a weed trimmer. Cause that crap hurts...

Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 PM

+1^^

Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

Nah you're not, "one of those guys," you've simply had **** in your eye before! Me too, worked in a cabinet shop for some years and also built steel trusses... that **** hurts in your eyes!

Usually it takes something like that to wake someone up, but don't feel too bad. My bro-in law is 31, 2 kids and rides trails on a 300 KTM 2-stroker with no gear... at all. Not even gloves. Couple of weeks ago he was behindme in the trails and he was getting it, rear brake said bye bye and hetook his eyes off the trail long enough to wrap his right leg around a tree at about 30mph.He did the coolest little spin around that tree. Still no gear.

Okay Don, I amnow saddened. I want you to share with us, and the idea that you don't makes me a sad panda. Tell your bro to quit being stubborn (then watch him laugh at you) and get back on the horse, err, Honda.

I might as well say it - the ONLY reason I wear a helmet...

It isn't to save my life. It's so if I do get in a bad way, I don't wanna be retarded for the rest of my life. I would rather die. I don't know if that sounds bad but it's the truth.

AsRon White said, "...hit something hard, I don't wanna limp away from this."

Old 05-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Oh man. That sucks big time. Sorry to hear about all of that, Don. I hope he heals up asap. Hopefully, he'll change his mind about the whole helmet thing.

Quick Reply: Helmets are nice