Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

First paint job on bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First paint job on bike

Thanks again!

Good news for me! The shop is done with the bike, so I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm gonna finish wet sanding everything down tonight and get it all bolted up tomorrow. Then hopefully saturday morning I'll get it buffed out. I'll post finished pics as soon as I can.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 AM

Great attempt looks nice, my first go would be terrible i think, drips and runs everywhere i reckon.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 PM

FINISHED!!!

I spent the afternoon buffing everything out. Instead of having my friend do it, he talked me into trying it myself. I'm more than happy with the results, but there's a couple areas that I need to put more attention to. That front piece was a real pain. Too many curves and angles. I burnt through a couple small areas, but i'll get some touch up paint and fix that.

Here's a quick picture i took with my phone. I'll get some more tomorrow after I finish buffing and cleaning it up real good.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:55 AM

Here's a couple more high res pics.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:25 AM

wow you did that yourself .. loving the tank shinny.. i know i coulnt have done that.. sick man

Old 04-03-2006, 11:42 PM

looks really good. I dont see much orange peel anymore, in fact i dont see it at all

Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Retired Mod

looks awesome! that is definately something to be proud of. just one question though: are you planning on painting those mirrors or leaving them white? i think they'd look better black but that's just me.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the compliments yea, most of the orange peal is gone. I didn't get it all, but I felt safer not sanding too much, just did not want to go through the clear and have to reclear it all. It was pretty scary when I started scratching that shiny clear up with sandpaper and praying that I wouldn't see any black coming up in the water. But the minute that buffer hit the bike, all my fears were gone and I was totally stoked about seeing it done knowing that it would all buff out.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

looks awesome! that is definately something to be proud of. just one question though: are you planning on painting those mirrors or leaving them white? i think they'd look better black but that's just me.
Thanks! I'm still thinking about that actually. Thinking that I might just paint the stem black, and leave the housing white. Only problem is that the stem is rubber, and I'm not sure how long that would hold up painted. Maybe just paint the shell black, and leave the stem white. I'll probably just hold off on painting them, and see if I can come across some stock black ones on ebay, or some black aftermarket ones. I bought some black f2 mirrors and thought they would fit with minimal fabrication, but they weren't even close. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:15 AM

Not bad at all for your first. Looks great. and harbor freight is the ****. good luck with the new paint.

Quick Reply: First paint job on bike