Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

First paint job on bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First paint job on bike

Ok, thought I would show you guys my first paint job. Here is my 90 cbr 600 before I started:

The paint on the bike was also the first attempt from the guy I bought it from. Not that bad, but the color was rough and had a few cracks from a 0mph dump by his girlfriend. I plastic welded the cracks, fixed a couple things here and there, and started sanding it all down.

I used a cheap line from sherwin williams, and bought the decals from tapeworks.com. I also purchased a couple small plastic parts that were missing. I used a 20 dollar gun I bought at harbor freight. I was trying to keep this cheap, but looking for better results than I would get from a spray can. And the added benefit of it being gas spill proof. So here are the finished pics, tell me what you think:

Sorry I don't have them on the bike yet. It's in the shop getting one of my goofs fixed. [:@] I broke a valve cover bolt off last week, and had no luck getting it out. So hopefully by this weekend I'll have it put back together and I'll get some better shots for you.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Default RE: First paint job on bike

cool make sure you post some pic's once its on the bike

Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty good. Can't wait to see completed pics. If you get really inspired (or bored) how about posting some more details on your setup.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:31 AM

got a bit of the orange peel huh? looks pretty good though, you could wet sand some of that down to get a better finish but it looks great for your first shot.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Yea, decided today that i'm not liking the orange peal too much. Figured i would try to sand it out before I put it on the bike. So i'm off to the garage now to see what I can do. I'll definitely get the completed pics up, hopefully this weekend.

Looks pretty good. Can't wait to see completed pics. If you get really inspired (or bored) how about posting some more details on your setup.
Not too many details to list. The bike is stock, except for a k&n filter. And vortex 520 with -1/+2 sprockets. I've modified the fender and the chain guard/tire hugger. And I've replaced the rear blinkers with some lower profile ones. I'll be sure to take plenty of good pics once she's all back together.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Man, that looks pretty good for the first one. I wouldn't even try to paint mine.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Looks good, a little orange peal but 95% better than I would have done. Heck I would not have had the ***** to even try it!

Old 03-29-2006, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words! well, I spent a few hours wet sanding and buffing tonight, but feel that I haven't made much progress I used 1000, 1500, and 2000, and then tried to buff them out by hand with some 3m rubbing compound. It's just too much work to do all these parts by hand. I got the fender, one tail piece, and the tank sanded down and buffed as good as I could. What I'm thinking i'm gonna do is just do all the sanding, then get ahold of one of my buddies to see if he'll polish everything for me with a buffer.

Thought about just buying the buffer and doing it myself, but there are too many corners on the plastics to do this for the first time with a machine. I'm sure i'd burn through a few edges in no time. I've already made a couple goofs, but the won't show so I'm not sweating it. Anyways, the areas that I was able to do look much better without the orange peel, of course, so I'm psyched to see this thing done. Can't wait!!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

encouraging seeing as how i am going to paint my baby here soon.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM

yea real nice job man.. better then what ill do hahaha

Quick Reply: First paint job on bike