Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

F4i Camera Mount = Video of Sunday Ride

Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Camera Mount = Video of Sunday Ride

Just bought a motorcycle camera mount off E-bay and decided to install and test it out.

Pretty simple install and I ran over to Pep Boys and bought three
rubber grommets to put between the the mount and my gas tank. Works
great for added stabilization although the mount doesn't need it.
It's extremely stable even at high speeds and bumpy terrain.
I used my Olympus FE-115 digital camera with a 512MB memory
card which gives me a little over a half hour of video.
I also have a Sony HandyCam mini-dvr camcorder, but the camera
kept shutting down because of the vibration to the mini-disc. I had double
rubber mounts and even velcro around the mount and the camera to hold it still, but
no cigar. The Olympus came through perfectly!

I ended up taking a leisurely Sunday ride and caught my lane splitting
adventures (it's legal here in Cali) on camera (the X Games are just around
the corner from my house and traffic was pretty hectic). The rest are of my
ride on the Harbor (110) freeway. Notice when the LAPD blows by me as I'm doing 82 in a 60.
Hey...just going with the flow of traffic. Nice

Anyway, enjoy! It's 167MB, so it may take a minute to buffer. If you're still
on dial-up, don't even think about it. A little riding music I listen to on my
iPod is added as calming background repertoire.

Stephy's Liesurely Sunday Ride 8-6-06

Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Default RE: F4i Camera Mount = Video of Sunday Ride

HAH crazy. I know exactly the street you live on. I went to the x-games the 5th and I refused to pay $20 for parking so I scouted that neighborhood for a while trying to figure out where to park. I'd never been there before last weekend and now I know it like my own. Nice mount but I like helmet cams better because you can put it anywhere on the bike or on your helmet.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM

I think I'll wait to buy mine dont want to video something of me getting in trouble.....How did you actually secure the camera?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 AM

Yawn...that video made me tired...

How much was that mount and do you have a link to the Ebay seller?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

Yawn...that video made me tired...

How much was that mount and do you have a link to the Ebay seller?
The link is in the first line of my post...just click on "Ebay"...

Old 08-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: doggy69

I think I'll wait to buy mine dont want to video something of me getting in trouble.....How did you actually secure the camera?
The kit comes with the hex head bolts you'll need. I just replaced the stock tank bolts with the ones provided and voila, secured. You don't have to video something of you getting into trouble...just video taping your ride can help you analyze your lean angles, give you something to look at at the end of the day, or whatever. Cost about $30 on Ebay.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM

Looks alot like the one from Sportbikecam.com camera mount, which is what I use. Does your mount allow for complete articulation on the vertical and horizontal plane?

My mount allows me to use my mini-DV camcorder without problem:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72007697&hl=en

The quality of this online video isn't great. The WMV format converted to shockwave made it really pixelated. I can run the video from the camera to my tv, or from an AVI format to the pvr and it is really sharp.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: BrianAZ

Looks alot like the one from Sportbikecam.com camera mount, which is what I use. Does your mount allow for complete articulation on the vertical and horizontal plane?
If you mean does the mount allow me to rotate my camera, then the answer is yes. There's a screw that comes through the mount slit on the top. I can maneuver the camera either forward or backward to lower or heighten my view, as well as turn it either left, right, or at an angle. I'll post pics of the setup later.

I don't think it was the mount that gave me problems with my mini-DV camcorder....I think it's my bike's setup and the camcorder's inability to absorb severe shock. My bike's lowered and the potholes in El A don't make it any easier. I'm just glad I had the Olympus as a backup.

The quality of this online video isn't great. The WMV format converted to shockwave made it really pixelated. I can run the video from the camera to my tv, or from an AVI format to the pvr and it is really sharp.
That's another upside of using the Olympus vice Handi-Cam. I plug it into my computer and I don't have to convert a DVD file to .wmv. It's a straight shot. I think I'll limit using the Handicam for bike night vids/pics.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: CBRCorey

HAH crazy. I know exactly the street you live on. I went to the x-games the 5th and I refused to pay $20 for parking so I scouted that neighborhood for a while trying to figure out where to park.
Really? I'd have only charged you $10

Nice mount but I like helmet cams better because you can put it anywhere on the bike or on your helmet.
The original plan was for a helmet cam like Dawn's (woman who got hit head on when the guy spun out on the freeway), but my mini-dvr camcorder didn't have an AV in connection, and I wasn't about to plunk down $300 for another camcorder.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: stephygee

ORIGINAL: BrianAZ

If you mean does the mount allow me to rotate my camera, then the answer is yes. There's a screw that comes through the mount slit on the top. I can maneuver the camera either forward or backward to lower or heighten my view, as well as turn it either left, right, or at an angle. I'll post pics of the setup later.

I don't think it was the mount that gave me problems with my mini-DV camcorder....I think it's my bike's setup and the camcorder's inability to absorb severe shock. My bike's lowered and the potholes in El A don't make it any easier. I'm just glad I had the Olympus as a backup.

That's another upside of using the Olympus vice Handi-Cam. I plug it into my computer and I don't have to convert a DVD file to .wmv. It's a straight shot. I think I'll limit using the Handicam for bike night vids/pics.
The sportbike cam has a knurled *** you turn to adjust the tension and make elevation changes. It also has 4 attachment points along the arm that secures the mount to the tank to adjust how far forward and rearward you want the camera mounted. The screw on the bottom part of the mount allows it to swivel on the horizontal plane.

As for the conversion, my camera is not dependent upon the PC for the file format. If I use Windows Movie Maker, I can only save it as a WMV (compressed) or AVI which is uncompressed. If I use one of the other movie editing software suites, such as Nero, I can inport the video from the camera, edit it, and burn it to DVD without having to first make an AVI file.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i Camera Mount = Video of Sunday Ride