Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Do you trust your NEW tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you trust your NEW tires?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMkswl8VQw

Ok, I think I got screwed. Just bought tires from cheapcycleparts.com last week and these were just shipped to me yesterday. Should I be livid right now? Should I even trust these tires underneath me at 160mph?

Rear tire code-2603
Front tire code-0506

The rear tire even has this weird film on it. Not impressed. The reason I bought these tires is because they were excellent on my gixxer. Not sure if I'm comfortable with trusting old tires and my rocket. Any opinions?

Attached Thumbnails Do you trust your NEW tires?-100_1163.jpg   Do you trust your NEW tires?-100_1164.jpg   Do you trust your NEW tires?-100_1165.jpg   Do you trust your NEW tires?-100_1166.jpg   Do you trust your NEW tires?-100_1167.jpg  

Old 06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good find. I never knew wtf those codes meant. Guess now when I go get 'new' tires for my girl's cage, I'll check the code first.

And for my bike... Power Pures. They CAN'T be but so old since they were just released

Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM

I guess you're right. From now on the only way to be sure you're getting new tires is to buy new releases. Dealing with these places is getting old. Just ordered a jardine bolt-on from these tards. it's on backorder for a month! seriously? and they tell me it's a 20 percent fee to cancel the order. i'm going to go fing postal.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Good find. I never knew wtf those codes meant. Guess now when I go get 'new' tires for my girl's cage, I'll check the code first.

And for my bike... Power Pures. They CAN'T be but so old since they were just released

Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

with my life and like Kuro's they're power pures so there's no issue ....newly engineered
tire.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 AM

That sucks. I would contact cheapcycle and tell them your tires are too old. Most reputable stores will fix any problem... the customer is always right. Can't hurt to try and swap them out.
I heard about this a year ago and checked all my tires (on cars and bike). Luckily everything checks out. I got my car tires from discount tire, my bike tires from local honda shop, and girlfriend's bike tires from motorcycle superstore. None were more than a year old when purchased.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 AM

I would definatley contact them and ask them to swap them out! Although I don't think they have any legal obligation to do so. If you explain to them why you want them swapped any reputable shop/dealer should swap them no problem.
Damn, I've got a bunch of tires to check tommorow! :icon_Doh:

Old 06-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

How much did those run you if you don't mind me asking, Nemesis?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Haven't had to replace my tires yet. Going to beginning of the season next year and it'll be whatever price Revzilla charges.

Seriously if they stock it, I will only buy from them and **** the price. Tho I'm positive I'll pay the lowest price I can find online since they price match

Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something I have known for years,I have ever since hand picked my tires or if I where to order online then I'd ask for production dates before purchasing tires from them.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... on moto tires you wouldn't expect them to be 7yrs old when you get them. That would **** me off.
I've heard a couple different opinions on acceptable tire age, but I believe Dunlop recommends 5yrs max. (Although I've heard of some tracks not letting you run anything over 2yrs?)
I've had new sets that were near 2 years old, but never 7.
I would be contacting the seller for sure.

I would also try and contact the seller beforehand next time about how old the tires are that you're buying. Some will tell you up front so you don't have to worry.
I've had no issues with moto superstore. My last set of Qualifiers were current year, and the Pilot Road 2's I just got from them a couple months ago are coded to Sept/Oct. of 2009.

I'm sure as hell not gonna buy the latest brand/style that I know I don't want just so I know it's newly manufactured. If it's more than a year or two old off the shelf, I'm gonna bitch.

Quick Reply: Do you trust your NEW tires?