CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Sights 'N Sounds (https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/)
-   -   The Ballad of the Gap (https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/ballad-gap-150132/)

emefef 11-26-2013 08:40 AM

The Ballad of the Gap

After turning down, or otherwise missing a couple of opportunities in each of the last 10 years, I finally made it to Deals Gap. We rode down from Toronto. Six of us went, two of us for the first time. There are a ton of videos on youtube of this road, and of course just like everyone else I posted one from the resort to the overlook. I haven't even watched that whole thing - I don't if anyone would watch 15 minutes of someone riding that because you get the idea after just a couple of minutes. This video is a bit different though, it's only about 9 minutes, and it's not just 9 minutes of gopro footage of the ride.

It's a little long for music video, but hey, it's little short for a documentary and WAY too short for a feature film! There's some great riding (too bad it's by the guys off-camera) and some fantastic photography by my friend George Reichert, and an epic(?) soundtrack of original music with the sweet sound of a Honda V-four supporting the whole thing.
It even ends with a public service announcement - just in case there's some grant money up for grabs.

74demon 11-26-2013 09:10 AM

Very well done!

I'm diggin' it....

RydnaCBR 11-26-2013 06:56 PM

Excellent video of you guys "slayin' the dragon"... Very entertaining...

P.S. I like the J.R. Bob Dobs avatar...

emefef 11-26-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by RydnaCBR (Post 1258806)
Excellent video of you guys "slayin' the dragon"... Very entertaining...

P.S. I like the J.R. Bob Dobs avatar...

Thanks! so....maybe you could explain my avatar to me? I can't remember why I got it, but I was looking for a pic with a man smoking a pipe and found this. I have no idea what it's from, who did it, or why, but I liked it so I used it!

RydnaCBR 11-27-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by emefef (Post 1258818)
Thanks! so....maybe you could explain my avatar to me? I can't remember why I got it, but I was looking for a pic with a man smoking a pipe and found this. I have no idea what it's from, who did it, or why, but I liked it so I used it!

This was something I came across in my 20's... If I remember right, the image is from a book... "J.R. Bob Dobs and the Church of the Sub-Genius"... It was a made up religion that poked fun at all other religions and was loosely based on some of the ideas that came from the era of Timothy Leary and LSD... I wish I could remember more detail but it was just something I came across in passing and never really understood myself... But the image has stuck with me and I see it now and then...

PossibleOne 11-30-2013 03:24 PM

Cool vid, looks like yall had a blast...hows the long ride on the sport bike?

emefef 12-01-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I (Post 1259070)
Cool vid, looks like yall had a blast...hows the long ride on the sport bike?

It was a blast! two hours in on the first day, I was pretty uncomfortable and wondering WTF I was doing....but even a 5 to 10 minute stop for gas was enough to go for another couple of hours. It turned out to be pretty easy after that.

I have the Danmoto clipons - and even the little bit that I could raise and move them back makes a big difference. I could get more range if I changed the front brake cylinder and the cables, but for now it works really well. I'll be going again next year on the same bike.

PossibleOne 12-01-2013 09:17 PM

Thats cool...Im new to the street bikes and although Ive rode 8+ hours on dirt and snow, never on the road in such a "bent" position lol...although I have an 03 f4i the seat feels like i would hate myself after that long...but i guess the passion will keep me keepin on...cheers..

FOGeologist 02-04-2014 12:27 AM

Well, gents, THAT was PRETTY IMPRESSIVE!

hawkwind 02-04-2014 09:07 AM

Very entertaining! Would love to ride the Dragon.

PAINTSPILL 02-06-2014 07:31 AM

epic ride. looks like a great bunch of guys, i'm in toronto as well. can't wait to ride

emefef 02-19-2014 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by FOGeologist (Post 1263972)
Well, gents, THAT was PRETTY IMPRESSIVE!

Originally Posted by hawkwind (Post 1264008)
Very entertaining! Would love to ride the Dragon.

Thanks guys! It got mentioned in a Canadian magazine this month too - Motorcycle Mojo Magazine

emefef 04-01-2014 04:30 PM

March Contest

YAY!
The Ballad of the Gap won "Best Video" in the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort contest at dealsgap.com
Well, for March. Now it's entered in the annual contest.

Sebastionbear1 04-01-2014 05:52 PM

^^^^

Well done - the video was great!

Good luck for the next part of the competition.

Cheers, SB

emefef 04-10-2014 01:17 PM

Hey SB,
Last summer I met a couple from Perth up here in Toronto. They're going around the world on a GS - and when they've been away long enough, they store the bike where they are and head back home for a few months.
It's a pretty cool trip. When I met them I already had the Deals Gap trip planned, so I told them all about it.
They got in touch a few weeks ago, and watched the video a few times. I got word last night they were staying at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort and riding the Tail of the Dragon today.

If you're interested, they have a travel blog:
Around The World by BMW | Off Exploring

I figure Australia is like Canada, right? Everyone knows each other? ;)

Seriously, I just thought it was an epic journey and it might appeal to you on the other side of the globe...