Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering

Okay, I tried the "Search" feature here first and got no help. I am trailering my 929 from Florida to Virginia and back in the coming weeks. I'm renting a U-Haul motorcycle trailer. I've not done this before, and I'm concerned about proper tie down and other safety ideas you may have for me. The trip is about 800 interstate miles. Any help would be much appreciated.....Tom

Attached Thumbnails Trailering-bikes.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Get a "canyon dancer." It's a strap that slides over the bars to hook tie downs to. Use a tie down on each side and make them tight. Then push down on the bars and compress the forks while having someone snug the straps down. The forks need to push back, keeping the strap tight. Just dont compress the fork a lot, you dont want to hurt the seals. If the rear doesnt have a channel for the rear, make sure you tie it down to prevent it from sliding side to side.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first tip - is to thoroughly inspect the uhaul trailer, especially tires. If I had a buck for every time I've seen a uhaul broken down on the hwy...

^ +1 to canyon-dancer. I use them & they really make securing the front of the bike much easier. Do not over-compress. Only compress your forks as much as you can push them down by hand.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get a front wheel chock, you can bolt that to the floor of the trailor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ock-97841.html

Then, strap the front wheel into it. Use a couple of straps at the back to
keep it from rocking side to side. That way you aren't compressing the front
forks at all. Or, for the truely paranoid, add the strap system mentioned above
to the mix.

+1 though on the comments about not over-compressing the tubes and blowing
the seals if you hit a bump.

Ern

Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm checking into this canyon dancer thingy as we speak. Thanks again. I might stop into my old home in NC and ride "The Dragon" on the way back. I've never done that.............

Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I might stop into my old home in NC and ride "The Dragon" on the way back. I've never done that.............

For sure do that! It's a bucket list item....

Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM

Not to hijack toms thread, but I picked up my f4i not too long ago, used my 5x7 utility trailer with a wheel chock in the front (worked out excellent).
It wasn’t a long trip (only about 3 hours) I was able to protect the fairings from the tie downs, was looking into the canyon dancer's that you guys pointed out looks like a great design with great reviews to prevent any damage.

Looking to purchase a set myself, would these cause any damage to the throttle grip, and would you guys recommend the "new II" version with end cups?
Name:  2012-10-20_13-46-44_665.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  293.5 KB

Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Looking to purchase a set myself, would these cause any damage to the throttle grip, and would you guys recommend the "new II" version with end cups?
i have the 'new' version with the cups, if i were you id get the original, those cups ended up 'tweaking' my bar ends a little bit.

Last edited by gotcbr; 11-02-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: removed repost of pic
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
i have the 'new' version with the cups, if i were you id get the original, those cups ended up 'tweaking' my bar ends a little bit.
Ended up ordering the new version, did you try to wrap the grips with a rag to distribute the pressure evenly? If the bar ends are tweaked it could probably be fixed with new screws to hold them on. Looking to try them out when they arrive, are they designed to be pulled forward or on the front sides like in my post above?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Ended up ordering the new version, did you try to wrap the grips with a rag to distribute the pressure evenly? If the bar ends are tweaked it could probably be fixed with new screws to hold them on. Looking to try them out when they arrive, are they designed to be pulled forward or on the front sides like in my post above?
rags probably would have been a good idea, but im not too worried about the ends, its really only noticeable to me. but since you want to compress the forks some you want to strap it so it pulls down and foward a little like in the above pic.

Quick Reply: Trailering