Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tail of the Dragon

The dragon kicks *** over any other road in these parts. Only thing the makes the other roads better is if they are less known n have less traffic/cops. The loop has some great curves but it also had a bunch of phuqing iggits on it.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the loop im new to the Ga area i see ur from dalton i ride past there every wknd on my way to tn did u by chance know a billy jackson??
Mike D

Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM

I went there years ago and it was great.... enough people there to meet and hang out with but not so many that many people got in you're way. On occasion, there would be some kid that thought he knew what he was doing riding waaaayyyy too slow in front of you but it was easy enough to find a somewhat sweeping left and pass on the outside.... I went backlast year and found that it was completely different... It wasjust like the original poster said... People everywhere.. It was like being at a freakin' amusement park... The first time I was thereI didn't see a single cop, I passed several this time...Just as the original poster mentioned, I felt like I was in a parade....People were riding like 25-30mph hangingoff their bikes like they thought they were really flying... 3 round trips through it and I maybe took 30 turns at a decent clip. Every time I would try to ride slow enough toput distance between me and the slow @$$ group in front of me, some newbie would pass me and then ride just as slow as the previous group.
My first trip was probably the best vacation I ever had... My most recent trip there was without a doubt the worst 3 days I ever had.... I will never go back to that $hithole...

Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 PM

you just have to know the days to go up there...weekends are awful. Its best middle of the week. I absolutely love it up there but will agree lately it has been **** with all the LEO's and people lane crossing. I wrecked my first bike an 03gsxr 600 up there when i was 16 and still havent been back up on a bike yet. I can absolutely tear it up in a car though. We GPS'd my car rolling through there and my avg. speed was 48 not getting out of 2nd gear which tops at 65 ish and got through in 10 mins...not too bad in a near stock car. It definitely helps to know the road...i have been through about 50+ trips so i have it memorized...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeff1980

I went there years ago and it was great.... enough people there to meet and hang out with but not so many that many people got in you're way. On occasion, there would be some kid that thought he knew what he was doing riding waaaayyyy too slow in front of you but it was easy enough to find a somewhat sweeping left and pass on the outside.... I went backlast year and found that it was completely different... It wasjust like the original poster said... People everywhere.. It was like being at a freakin' amusement park... The first time I was thereI didn't see a single cop, I passed several this time...Just as the original poster mentioned, I felt like I was in a parade....People were riding like 25-30mph hangingoff their bikes like they thought they were really flying... 3 round trips through it and I maybe took 30 turns at a decent clip. Every time I would try to ride slow enough toput distance between me and the slow @$$ group in front of me, some newbie would pass me and then ride just as slow as the previous group.
My first trip was probably the best vacation I ever had... My most recent trip there was without a doubt the worst 3 days I ever had.... I will never go back to that $hithole...
Go do a trackday if everyone else sucks and you're way better.... I only say that because when I go this year I'll be the slow@$$ through it. lol

Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lcbatl08

Where is the loop im new to the Ga area i see ur from dalton i ride past there every wknd on my way to tn did u by chance know a billy jackson??
Mike D
Its the section of 129/60/180 in North GA I believe. I havent rode the specific route called that. Ride Suches some, and ride Fort Mtn and hwy52 alot. Didnt know him.

Where abouts are you?

And as far as the dragon, its dead this tyme of year. Can go up n make all sorts of run.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Ok for those of you asking about the GA mountains, take a look at this map

Here is a write up (not mine).

The route is in the midst of the Blue Ridge Mountains and and drives around the base of Georgia's Blood Mountain. This is an exceptionally beautiful area in the fall as the foliage turns into a picturesque tapestry of red, gold, and green. And you'll have some incredible views up there as you pass through three mountain passes along the way: Neel's Gap, Hester Gap, and Stonepile Gap. If you want to get a feel for the views up there, visit a couple of the web cams from the nearby Brasstown Bald observation points
and it should have been the first route submitted for Georgia. Either an oversight or a vain attempt to keep it a secret. GA 19 is great because it is 2 lanes up the mountain, allowing for very easy passing. 180 is much tougher as it is the width of a driveway with countless blind turns and steep elevation changes. The multiple memorials on the side of the roads are a testament to the challenge that lies before you and a strict warning to ride within your abilities, for your safety and for the safety of those you share the road with. Overall this is mountain road traveling at its best!.
At the intersection of SR60 and 180 are two excellent motorcycle resources. TWO (Two Wheels Only) is a great bike restaurant and motorcycle hostel that serves up a fine burger and friendly service. Across the corner is Dale's, the spot where most of the bikes stop to refuel and the bikers stop to caffeinate. Along the route there are several pullouts to stop and enjoy the view. Also, along the way (where route 180 meets US 129) you will find beautiful Vogel State Park.
Have fun

[IMG]local://upfiles/15516/4EEBF331810D47AFBA49B1038C4A89B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Hey doggs, has anyone been to Two Wheels Only? I am down here foe March Madness and I was wondering if there is a event for CBR's? I love to ride the loop and the Dragon kicks *** too. I would like to ride with other CBR's so if anyone knows of an event please post it.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 AM

i use to stay at two all the time. but the last few years they have been real bad about returning calls/emails? wehave been staying at the high valley resort instead. it is the old airport camp ground two use to run. frank runs it now(brits dad i think) it is across the street from two on 180. both are real nice places. i think high valley is newer, they have real nice cabins, and bunk houses. i stayed there last year. hope to make it there this year as well.