Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MA to CA...should I do it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MA to CA...should I do it??

So I'm moving out to LA because I just transferred to a school there from my local CC (I'm 20). Its 3,000 miles. Probably not cheaper than flying and having my bike shipped. But it might be a good life experience to have. Anyone else go this far on a sport bike, what do you guys think?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM

If you have the money and time do it.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prez25
So I'm moving out to LA because I just transferred to a school there from my local CC (I'm 20). Its 3,000 miles. Probably not cheaper than flying and having my bike shipped. But it might be a good life experience to have. Anyone else go this far on a sport bike, what do you guys think?
I've pedaled from the Pacific to the Atlantic ocean 4 times since 1996. My longest route was 3,400 miles. If I can do it on a bicycle you should be able to handle it on a motorcycle.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a good excuse for a cross-country road trip. Time will be your main factor. I always recommend to folks considering longer trips, to not be/feel rushed. If you allow proper time for the trip, you can make it an adventure that you'll never forget. Sure, you'll need to cover ground but how you do that will make all the difference. Frequent breaks, good hydration & nutrition, & proper rest, will be key.

Interstate riding just stinks after awhile. 3k of that would be horrible. Instead, using regional hwys, Route 66, etc, would allow you to experience the country more closely yet make your way toward CA. Changing scenery while you ride will keep you fresher & is less taxing than constant high speed on interstates. Sure, you'll have some stretches were interstate riding will be necessary but make it the exception, not the rule.

How many chances in life do you get to do something like this? When you're young, you think that you'll always have time...you don't. Take advantage of opportunities like this while you're young. Take lots of pics & keep a log. You can look back on it yrs to come as a life-experience that you can be proud of.

Planning & preparation don't need to be a major headache...just thorough & well planned. Take only what you need & ship the rest. Make sure you have good luggage & gear. It will make all the difference on a trip of this magnitude. Make lists & narrow to necessity only.

Like pilots have flight-plans, you need to have a general plan of the route you'll take & destinations each day. Communicate that w/ someone back home daily. I.e. let them know where you are daily, such that they can keep track of you & your progress. This can be done via blog (like blogger), by phone, by email, text, etc. Main thing is to keep someone informed of your general location & destination for that day. In the event something happens, there will be a starting point to investigate.

I could ramble on... I love road trips.

Last edited by gotcbr; 02-15-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: line spacing
Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DO IT !

It's the chance of a lifetime.
Take your time and enjoy it.
Remember to set time aside for maintenance on the way......

Old 07-10-2011, 04:02 PM

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!

Its going to be fun!

Where in Cali are you stopping?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

i'd do it and maybe you should go and pick up the sprocket from the coast to coast challange to get it out to cali.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 AM

DO IT! Sounds like an amazing chance. I have made several cross country drives in high perf cars and gotcbr's suggestions are spot on. Hour after hour of highway sucks. Sure you can go 80-100mph for long periods of time, but it's also where you get bored, then sleepy, then can't wait to get there. At the same time, keep the trip path rather straight. A few extra miles here and there are one thing, but an extra days drive might be a bit much.

Again, DO IT! Take pics and post when you get there!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another Do IT .....Hell Yeah ........... while you can !

Plan it out and break it down into manageable legs taking it as many
of the awesome places there are to see in the Good Ole USA

Last edited by Sprock; 07-13-2011 at 06:57 PM.