Road Racing Tell your stories here.

WSBK 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 10-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have a lot of backing being that they are almost half owned by the largest 2 wheel manufacture in the world (HERO). Thing is Geoff has been a great development rider and always a possible top 5 finisher. He is not however knowledgeable about the WSB arena. Hes not a WSB calibre rider. EBR will need a second rider but one that can develop and be atleast top ten finisher or it just won't look good to the fans or the press. I think they can make the power I'm sure of. Could it be Laverty??? Could it be Chaz Davis?? Who knows time will tell.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 AM

Aaron Yates and Geoff May to race for EBR in WSBK '14 under EVO rules

Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Yep the money is there but frankly not the talent.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Have to agree with that assessment. I can ....sort of.... understand Geoff May because he's been at EBR since the beginning. Going to a new class, he's used to dealing with a team that's brand new with a brand new bike that is brand new to the series. I can (again, sort of) understand that thinking.

But I don't get Aaron Yates... at all. And with what's happening in the AMA, I can't believe Erik couldn't get someone with a little more talent and who is younger who could develop at the world level. I'm just spit-balling here - but Martin Cardenas. He's younger, he has more talent, and he has some world experience.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Now I know Erik personally since '99. He must have good reason for his decision. Thing is Geoff as good rider but never a champion or a normal front runner is a very good development rider and know the bike very well and engine. Yates is also a very good development rider and was a front runner when with Yosh back in the day and gave MJR its only championship in super Stock years ago. I think Erik is aiming at developing the bike in WSB. My opinion though would have gotten a WSB rider when the pickings were there just months ago. Geoff for the bike development and a WSB racer that was always a top ten finisher to get the most from the bike as he knows the tracks well. If the bike is fishing near the back next year fans are not friendly to seeing it neither is the press. jmo

Old 12-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Well, there's absolutely no doubt that Erik knows what he's doing. He's done more than anyone in the USA has with an american bike. No one has come close to what he has done. I get developing the bike with both riders - I hope they're not stuck at the back of the pack. I have a Buell - I love it. I haven't ridden or even seen an EBR in person - but I still like them. I want them to succeed.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see WSBK back after the long summer break, anyone see the races?

Double win for Marco Melandri and he deserved to win.

Strange that there were no team orders from Aprillia though, considering Sylvain Guintoli is the only one in with a chance of catching Tom Sykes and they've issued them before.

I'm thinking it's an Italian thing, the Italian public probably wouldn't appreciate an Italian rider being told not to win. Must be a bit of a bummer for Guintoli though, knowing that if he was Italian instead of French, he'd probably be 10 points closer to Sykes.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM

I haven't watched any of it this year, which is a shame considering most of the discussion on it leads me to believe its been a very entertaining season. But, I don't have beIN (or whatever channel it comes on stateside). I don't understand why, but motorcycle road racing interest in our country seems to be on life support...

I never thought I'd say this, but good lord do I miss speed channel. I at least got to see AMA, WSBK, WSS, 125, 250, and motoGP. Now all I get is motoGP, and if I want any pre-race coverage (like WUP results), I have to watch the previous race.... Why on Earth FoxSports thinks I want to re-watch a 2 week old race in favor of moto2, I'll never understand...

Sorry Hawkie, rant over. I wish I knew what was happening in WSBK, but I don't.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:42 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrice
I don't understand why, but motorcycle road racing interest in our country seems to be on life support...

I never thought I'd say this, but good lord do I miss speed channel. I at least got to see AMA, WSBK, WSS, 125, 250, and motoGP. Now all I get is motoGP, and if I want any pre-race coverage (like WUP results), I have to watch the previous race.... Why on Earth FoxSports thinks I want to re-watch a 2 week old race in favor of moto2, I'll never understand...

Sorry Hawkie, rant over. I wish I knew what was happening in WSBK, but I don't.
I understand exactly what you mean, in the UK it seems the only sport that exists is football (soccer). There are five Brits in the top ten in WSBK, Tom Sykes is the reigning world champ and leading the championship this year, is there ever a mention of this on the news or in a news paper? No! Or any of Scott Readings exploits last year for that matter.

Check your PM's.

Quick Reply: WSBK 2014