Road Racing Tell your stories here.

Riding Help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Help..

Ok .. so I've hit a bump in my riding technique and its bothering me.

I've been practicing a lot of hard cornering and getting off the bike and my weight forward. I've started using more of the front tire but still have about 1/2 inch left. The Problem ....

I'm using ALL of my 180 rear tire. When I go around some turns I can feel the point where i'm riding on the seem of the back tire and can't lean anymore and my knee is not down [&:]. Now from my experience I would know that I need to get further off the bike and more weight forward. But .. I'm already tip toeing on my pegs. If I get off the bike anymore I will have one foot offa peg and thats a bad thing. My buddy suggested adjustable rearsets and i've ordered them .. was that good advice?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Default RE: Riding Help..

um, ive never read any books on this, so others might be able to help you out better, but from my own experience with getting to the point of dragging your knee, dont force it to happen. You might want to try, when your getting off the bike, place your thigh (the leg where the knee isn't dragging) perpendicular to the seat, you'll be able to get off the bike further. Put your head toward the mirror, and just drag the knee. It will surprise you when you first drag it so don't do any sudden reaction to it, after you do it a couple times it will very comfortable. Even though you said your usuing all of your 180 tire, you can still go a little further even though the chickin strip isn't showing, usually when your riding the strip the edges will start to peel up, thats when I know im about out of tire. Just be careful and patient, it will happen.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM

take a pic of yourself mid turn for us.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Alright ... I should have a video posted up a little later tonight.! Thanks for the help.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Old 10-05-2007, 03:30 PM

I think you need to get to a school and learn it from a pro. That way, you're sure you're doing it right and off of the road.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 PM

ditto, get on a track before you kill yourself on the street pretending its a racetrack

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Agreed, Your going to end up getting hurt or worse doing that on the street. Get to a track, do a school and learn to do it the right way.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Guys I appreciate the advice ... I agree that its a public road and you shouldn't be touching knees. Tooo many variables.Notice the bike is Faaar from leaned over and my speed was actually around 45mphs. Thats not pushing the bike or the rider. If I wanted to act like it was aracetrack I would have taken it alot faster and had the bike all the way over. Again this was just to show form safely.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM

From what i can see your not getting the top half of you body into the turn enough, your head should be farther over. Shoulders not so square to the bike, more pointed into the turn. your butts off the seat so work on upper body technique.

Quick Reply: Riding Help..