Road Racing Tell your stories here.

Moto GP 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadS1
I have never heard someone say theres no way to get it wrong. I've done a track day there and its a Blind corner. You have to set up for it before you see it to get it right.
Yes it is a combination that demands you set up and commit before you even really see WTF the track does...and you can get it wrong, for sure. What I was trying to say about the Corkscrew is there isn't very much time to be gained or lost there due to 'track familiarity' It's a rhythm thing. It's over before you can adjust your line. Dozens of days on Laguna and thousands of laps and one might just figure out some very nuanced ways to pick up tiny fractions of seconds there, but other than as really really fun section, there isn't much time to be gained or lost there....except if you go dirtbiking like Marquez did...

How'd he not get a penalty for that anyhow? He cut the corner, big time. Every other racer could also pull that trick on the Corkscrew, on bikes...Might be a bit dicey, but hey, they make the big bucks to win races, they would do it. I bet they'd all start taking that line until Moto GP stepped in and passed out some penalties. I think the Moto GP officials are pretty lenient with the New Kid's antics...

Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Doing what Marquez did is a combination he came in to hot with Rossi already there and a bit craziness also. Rossi beat Stoner there doing the same thing. Stoner Whined and complained that Rossi cut the corner. Well.........same thing just happened Rossi. Thing is.... Rossi doesn't whine he sucked it up at pat the Rookie on the back.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnarly 928

How'd he not get a penalty for that anyhow? He cut the corner, big time. Every other racer could also pull that trick on the Corkscrew, on bikes...Might be a bit dicey, but hey, they make the big bucks to win races, they would do it. I bet they'd all start taking that line until Moto GP stepped in and passed out some penalties. I think the Moto GP officials are pretty lenient with the New Kid's antics...
A) It's not the fast way through the corner. Rossi and Marquez lost serious time with their off race line/off track excursion. B) They practically came together - Marquez had NOWHERE to go C)He was along side Rossi the entire back section, Marc had initiated that pass long before them actually going off track, and was practically around Rossi before getting to the corkscrew.

A penalty? Marquez was pushed wide by Rossi (Rossi practically went off track too - and he had the inside). Rossi ran it a little deep trying to race with the kid. There was nothing worth penalizing there at all. Watch the video of it. It's clear his intention wasn't to run off track

And the fact that Rossi, nor Marquez, was bitching and moaning proves that. It was purely racing. Unlike Repsol and Stoner bitching and moaning in 2009 (even though Casey did the same thing too - he ran it a little deep trying to block Rossi), these guys were having a good little battle on track. Rossi knew he was going to be passed, Marquez was going for it. That's all.

And as far as your "Every other racer would start doing it..." thing... It's slow as hell going off track there, it dirties the tires, it kills your run to the next corner -it not at all a quick way through the corkscrew. The reason they don't have to enforce it - is because no one would do it on purpose. I'm kind of surprised someone who has done a track day there would suggest that. I mean, would you rather run over a grate in the sand to square the corner off instead of running the intended line??

Last edited by Conrice; 07-27-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: video
Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM

It was fun to see the guys after the race. It was all jokes and laughing again. I made a comment after the Sachsenring about how everyone acts like BFF's these days and it was more of the same. Rossi playfully wrestling Marquez. It's nice to see them all get on but at the same time I miss a good rivalry and the edge that it adds to the racing.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 AM

I enjoyed seeing the espriit de corps amung the riders. I think there is a rivalry, but in a good competitive way not a bunch of bad mouthing.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM

So, what does this mean?

So does anyone think that a frame manufacturer will be able to get their hands on a motogp engine? I'd love to see more factory bikes instead of CRTs

motogp.com · MotoGP™ Rules Update: Decision of the Grand Prix Commission

Last edited by Conrice; 07-29-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
So, what does this mean?

So does anyone think that a frame manufacturer will be able to get their hands on a motogp engine? I'd love to see more factory bikes instead of CRTs

motogp.com · MotoGP™ Rules Update: Decision of the Grand Prix Commission
I think the answer is yes.

From what I understood, Yamaha will be leasing a few engines starting 2014. So far, all I know is that NGM Mobile Forward Racing look like they will be taking a couple and pairing them with the FTR chassis. They are supposed to be very similar to the engines Tech 3 has, only they will have stock ECU and be allowed 24 litres of fuel instead of 20.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM

So four entries allowed per factory team as of next year. Do you think this opens any doors for Cal? Either way, seems like we will find out before Indy.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 PM

I'd rather have the extra fuel and extra motors! Maybe it'll open a door for Nicky too. I think Cal would be stupid to take the Duc seat. I know it's a ton of more money, but it's a career ender. And, I also don't think Cal is a paycheck rider. As good as Pol Espargaro is - he kind of shot himself in the foot with this season's performance and trash talking of Scott Redding. So, I'm surprised why Tech3 is fighting so hard for him over Cal.

I think it was MCN, or another site where it talked about at Sachsenring, there was a huge fight between LCR and Honda. Honda wanted LCR to execute the option to let Bradl go, pick up Cal on a one year contract (and LCR wanted to retain Bradl). This would then let Cal take Pedrosa's seat in '15 when his contract is up at Repsol. Repsol has their Spanish Rider - and considering Marc is leading the championship in his rookie year as well as that Dani has absolutely no excuses for his lackluster Repsol career (multiple versions of the RCV built specifically around him), it would make sense to me that Repsol would be looking for the next hot ticket, and that is certainly Cal Crutchlow.

Or, with the lease option, maybe Tech3 could have 2 factory bikes with 1 pseudo bike. That would allow them to keep Cal until factory Yamaha is ready to say goodbye to Rossi (who has said he's probably done after this contract runs out) and run a Lorenzo/Crutchlow team. I know Yamaha has talked to Tech3 about it. But because of the Espargaro deal and Smith says he's certain to be on a Tech3 bike next year, I'm not sure how much could be done. Bradley, while he's getting better, is still not up to par with his teammate by any means. And from Pol's performance this year in moto2, I'm not sure he'd do a whole lot better. Why would Tech 3 want to give up the lime light of having a rider in podium contention almost every weekend? That certainly doesn't hurt them as a team. If I were Cal, and had no deal worked out with LCR for '14, I'd be begging to stay at Tech3. And if I were Tech3, I'd want Cal as a rider for '14 as opposed to just Smith/Espargaro.

Satellite rides have always been a "stepping stone" for younger riders. But with the CRT thing playing out - and only 4 prototypes per factory, does that old adage hold water anymore? Those prototypes should be for the 12 top riders. And I think some CRT guys would be better candidates for prototypes than ANYONE from moto2. Aleix would certainly be a better fit at Tech3 than his younger brother, Pol. I'd say the older brother has done more to prove himself worthy of a prototype ride than anything any other rider in question for '14 has done, minus Cal, of course.

What I'm not sure about though, is why Ducati would make up their mind on Nicky before they had something worked out with Cal. I mean, I kind of assumed they put it all on the line by letting Nicky go in order to get Cal Crutchlow. What happens when Cal signs with somewhere else other than Ducati? Do they (Ducati) go after Bradl? Do they try and move Iannone up if he gets healthy? Or what if they go after Aleix?!

...Would they ever try and re-sign Nicky? And what would Nicky do in that situation? BMW wouldn't be a terrible paycheck in WSBK, and it'd give him a real opportunity to show how wrong Honda and Ducati has been by discounting his hard work and efforts. Personally, Nicky was the only thing stable at Ducati IMO. If he would have finished well in the Catalyuna race, and not binned his "A" bike in WUP at Sachsenring, he probably would be ahead of Dovi. And even with those results, there's practically nothing between them. I'm not really sure Nicky is really going to miss being on Factory Ducati. He has already publicly stated that he's looking forward for a fresh start on another bike next year. And, as far as Nicky staying in the Ducati "family", why would he want to be transferred to another "problem bike" like the Panigale? I mean, Ducati is practically in the same situation in WSBK that they are in Motogp. But unlike Motogp, the problem in WSBK is even harder to fix because it's a production class. I think Nicky would be making a mistake to suit up in red again.

Dorna is kind of facilitating the Nicky move to WSBK, because they want that championship to gain popularity in the USA - which Nicky would certainly help do. But, as a Nicky fan, I won't be paying as much attention to Motogp next year because he's not there, and there isn't another american on a prototype. And I think Dorna isn't smart because there would still be at least 2 American races next year. No Americans in GP? And there isn't exactly a lot of Americans in the other classes, I'm surprised Dorna would want Nicky out of GP. I certainly won't be spending my money to go see Motogp if there aren't some prominent American riders when with the same money, I could go see multiple AMA events with riders that I like more than any Euro rider. If I were Dorna, I'd want more americans from the AMA in WSBK. Imagine Josh Hayes (he did well in GP at Valencia) on that circuit. Danny Eslick could handle the world circuit, so could Josh Herrin. That's how I would build up popularity. Dropping your best/most popular American in Motogp to WSBK wouldn't serve well as it's sort of cannibalizing.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 PM

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote there.

I'm just hoping that Crutchlow can work out a deal with Honda or Yamaha, even if it means one more year on a satellite bike with a guaranteed move to the Factory the year after. Anything but a move to Ducati. You never know, maybe Ducati can turn it around, but I'd rather see someone else take that chance. I think Redding or Aleix Espargaro on the Ducati would be better.

Quick Reply: Moto GP 2013