CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Road Racing (https://cbrforum.com/forum/road-racing-34/)
-   -   Moto GP 2012 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/road-racing-34/moto-gp-2012-a-133367/)

Shadow 01-05-2012 02:12 AM

Moto GP 2012

As requested

BadS1 01-05-2012 10:48 AM

Ok lets start out the New Year in organized fashion. Top News as of right now Nicky Hayden on the 27th just after Christmas had a Dirt Track accident. He went to start his training for the upcoming season and Broke some Ribs and his Shoulder. Him being able to test In Feb. in Sepang for the winter test may be questionable. Ducati just isn't having good luck. I'd like to see a fresh start this year. I know they will be faster. Thing is will they be up to pace??

Shadow 01-05-2012 11:03 AM

Ducati just isn't having good luck. I'd like to see a fresh start this year. I know they will be faster. Thing is will they be up to pace??

Hayden won't be up to pace and the Ducati may be faster than last year, but you can bet the Hondas will be quicker too. This is the year they go back to 1000cc isn't it ?

BadS1 01-05-2012 11:26 AM

Yes it is but the 1000's will bring all kinds of new issues to be properly set up. And the bikes will require more rider input closer to the days before they went to the 800's. Ducati has the engine.... that is more then proven. They spent to much time with a frame/carbon fiber set up that they knew way less about developing when the twin spar frame that honda and the other were using that works.... and works well. Ducati has decided to go with what works. Now its setup setup setup. They have the best man in the biz....Rossi for that.

BadS1 01-05-2012 04:48 PM

Man its one after another. Now Dovi is out also.

Andrea Dovizioso Breaks Collarbone Riding MX - Motorcycle USA

Conrice 01-07-2012 11:24 AM

the thing is.... when all the rules change - it gives smaller firms (like ducati) a chance. look at what happened when they switched to 800's. it levels the playing field. a few years into it - honda and yamaha had thrown copious amounts of money into research, refinement, testing - amounts of money that a firm like of ducati couldnt. this is their best shot. (well actually, i guess a few seasons from now (when they're all CRT bikes) is actually their best shot).

but i think they'll do MUCH better this year. it sucks to hear about hayden and dovi.

CYCDUP 01-09-2012 08:44 PM

I agree the CRT era will give the smaller companies a chance to enter a team, but I am sure since Honda makes the BEST sport bike on the planet, they will always be in the running. And maybe Honda signing Stoner could be the cryptonite to Rossi.

Conrice 01-10-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by CYCDUP (Post 1123650)
I agree the CRT era will give the smaller companies a chance to enter a team, but I am sure since Honda makes the BEST sport bike on the planet, they will always be in the running. And maybe Honda signing Stoner could be the cryptonite to Rossi.

o i think honda will always be there.... i'm just saying that ducati really had no chance this year - out of the gate - it just wasn't there. and i think in the first year or two of a new rules era, when things are still trying to be sorted out - and money can't solve every problem - the firms with less money have more of a shot.

but who knows because i can't see everyone throwing tons of money at it this year if the rules change again for '13 to go all CRT. isn't this season kind of a swan song for the big factory support?

i still don't understand the rules....

BadS1 01-10-2012 11:04 AM

I think that Ducati has more then a shot. Ducati even though they are smaller they still budget like the other factory teams. If they couldn't they wouldn't be trying and they go WSB and AMA and try to clean up there now that they have a new Superbike but they don't. With the rules going 1000 the riders will have more rider input. So in retrospect it will change the ball game for everyone a bit. I'm actually excited for this year to start. But also I am for the other series.

BadS1 01-10-2012 02:08 PM

Looks like Hayden is on the mend and Ducati like I said has built a new bike. I knew they were going back to the twin spar. And I knew they barrowed one end of last year for Rossi to try which was built by a Euro firm so it wasn't exactly what they needed or wanted. So when the season ended they built the frame that they needed with the changes to make it right. I think we may see Rossi in the hunt yet and I hope so. Sorry guys i'm not as big of a Stoner fan as a Rossi fan and I don't cheer a make of bike. I cheer for a rider.

Conrice 01-10-2012 02:18 PM

its weird that ducati is dumping the engine as a stressed member for gp racing, but just designed the pagnale (sp) as a stressed member'ed bike.

i think ducati will do very well this year as well.

CYCDUP 01-11-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BadS1 (Post 1123760)
I don't cheer a make of bike. I cheer for a rider.

Not a problem BadS1, I feel ya! I have favorite riders also. Hayden, Stoner, Spies, Rossi, Edwards & the Late Super Sic. But I cheer for the Manufacture 1st... I'm a Honda guy.

BadS1 01-11-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by CYCDUP (Post 1123905)
Not a problem BadS1, I feel ya! I have favorite riders also. Hayden, Stoner, Spies, Rossi, Edwards & the Late Super Sic. But I cheer for the Manufacture 1st... I'm a Honda guy.

Since Honda picked up there Marbles and went home away from AMA I honestly don't care for them in that aspect. Love there bikes hate the crying. Love to watch a great rider win on a great bike. But love even better a great rider win on a lesser of a bike.

Shadow 01-17-2012 11:08 AM

Lineup for 2012

Courtesy of MCN........

The 2012 MotoGP world championship line-up has been unveiled with 21 bikes starting the new 1000cc campaign in Qatar on April 8.

The grid will be split between a mixture of 12 factory prototype machines from Honda, Yamaha and Ducati and nine new CRT projects.

Australian Casey Stoner, who dominated the final 800cc campaign in 2011, has ditched his favoured number 27 to switch to the number one plate on the new Repsol Honda RC213V machine.

Former world champion Jorge Lorenzo will revert back to his number 99 on board the factory Yamaha YZR-M1.

The new CRT machines run highly tuned 1000cc production engines in a prototype chassis and have been introduced to boost dwindling grid numbers with independent teams struggling to raise budgets to lease expensive prototypes.

Colin Edwards is probably the highest profile rider on a new CRT bike and he will ride for the Forward Racing squad using a Suter chassis and a modified BMW S1000RR engine.

Ivan Silva and Yonny Hernandez will ride the FTR-Kawasaki for BQR. British chassis experts FTR will also supply the frame for Michele Pirro’s Gresini CRT bike, which will be powered by a Honda CBR1000RR motor.

Danilo Petrucci will ride the Ioda bike which will use Aprilia’s RSV4 motor.

There will be four machines designed by Aprilia on the grid under the name of ART.

Anthony West, Randy de Puniet and Aleix Espargaro will be on the Aprilia machine, as will British rider James Ellision, who is riding for the Paul Bird Racing outfit.

There will be two Brits on the 2012 grid with Cal Crutchlow partnering Andrea Dovizioso in the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad.

Provisional MotoGP entry list
1 CASEY STONER AUS - HONDA TEAM, HONDA
4 ANDREA DOVIZIOSO ITA - YAMAHA TECH 3, YAMAHA
5 COLIN EDWARDS USA - FORWARD RACING, SUTER*
6 STEFAN BRADL GER - LCR HONDA MotoGP, HONDA
8 HECTOR BARBERA SPA - PRAMAC RACING TEAM, DUCATI
9 DANILO PETRUCCI ITA - IODA RACING PROJECT, IODA*
11 BEN SPIES USA - YAMAHA FACTORY RACING, YAMAHA
13 ANTHONY WEST AUS - SPEED MASTER, ART*
14 RANDY DE PUNIET FRA - ASPAR TEAM MotoGP, ART*
17 KAREL ABRAHAM CZE - CARDION AB MOTORACING, DUCATI
19 ALVARO BAUTISTA SPA - HONDA GRESINI, HONDA
20 ALEIX ESPARGARO SPA - ASPAR TEAM MotoGP, ART*
22 IVAN SILVA SPA - BQR, BQR-FTR*
26 DANI PEDROSA SPA - HONDA TEAM, HONDA
35 CAL CRUTCHLOW GBR - YAMAHA TECH 3, YAMAHA
46 VALENTINO ROSSI ITA - DUCATI TEAM, DUCATI
51 MICHELE PIRRO ITA - HONDA GRESINI, FTR*
68 YONNY HERNANDEZ COL - BQR, BQR-FTR*
69 NICKY HAYDEN USA - DUCATI TEAM, DUCATI
77 JAMES ELLISON GBR - PAUL BIRD RACING, ART*
99 JORGE LORENZO SPA - YAMAHA FACTORY RACING, YAMAHA
*CRT

CYCDUP 01-19-2012 07:26 AM

Nice to see a bigger grid! I guess there was a shuffling around of a few riders too. Can't wait!

Conrice 01-19-2012 07:47 AM

ya, that's not that many CRTs.....

BadS1 01-19-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1125623)
ya, that's not that many CRTs.....

9 CRT's... thats almost half the field. Considering that would make only 12 left of GP bikes. That means we lost a few. Not lookin good for them to stay in the game. Bet for sure Honda cry's foul.

Conrice 01-19-2012 05:41 PM

ya, i guess you're right. that's pretty good for the initial start. how many do you think will stay in the game though? i don't think many will. if they're 4 seconds off the pace a lap (and that's the fastest crt) - what's the point? they might as well be doing a track day.... whats the point to show up to some of the really far away races?

i mean, that seems like LITERALLY throwing money down a bottomless pit to race a CRT this year.

suzuki left - i don't blame them. whats the point to develop a prototype bike when GP will be all CRT in '13?

and i wouldnt blame honda for leaving either if they do next year. i totally understand.

this isn't about exciting racing on tv for a factory team. i don't think CRT is the way to get the factories back into the racing.

i mean - its not as if this is F1 racing just yet - it's not that boring. even so - putting a restraint on development for a few seasons would even be better than CRT imho.

oh well.... its not like i'm not going to watch and get as excited as i did last year and the year before...

BadS1 01-19-2012 06:24 PM

To be honest GP is unaffordable for teams to get in. Heck those bike are crazy expensive and the ecomomy just won't hold it anylonger. The CRT's will get faster and faster. I've seen Rossi and hayden 3 seconds down this past year. They will develop over the coarse of this year and next. Then we may very as well see racing these bikes as totally cool. They aren't production bikes.lol Hell look how fast Moto 2 bikes are. Them damn things are faster then or as fast as WSB's.lol I'm willing to sit back and see and give them the benefit. One thing though...... damn I'll miss that sound. Makes my hair stand up along with something else.lol

CYCDUP 01-20-2012 07:58 AM

With the economy as it is, motor sportsare trying to just survive... I think the one big thing moto racing in general has lacked is in promotion. They need to get the sponsors & fan more excited. Like NASCAR the cars are big billboards & you have companies not even related to cars involved. Moto racing most of the sponsors are mostly bike & race related, they need to get the non-biker people interested. Hopefully the CRT bikes will be just as exciting as their predecessors. I think with closely matched bikes the riders will make the racing good. I understand the manufactures use racing for R&D (research & development) & marketing, so that has to be included in the big scheme of things. Only time will tell.

Conrice 01-21-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BadS1 (Post 1125715)
Hell look how fast Moto 2 bikes are. Them damn things are faster then or as fast as WSB's.lol

not even close.... first year they averaged .47 seconds a lap SLOWER than world super sport. last season, they were only .2 seconds faster than super sport.

so they're quite a bit off from WSB.

and every moto2 bike would still get their ass kicked by a 250gp - and that's by a 2009 250.

and doesn't it say something that some of the top moto2 riders are leaving GP in favor of other series. for example, kenan sofuoglo and jules cluzel are both moving back to WSS. not WSB - WSS. and it's not because they couldn't stay in moto2, they're choosing to go back.

if you want the best racing series to be strong and healthy (fan base wise and monetarily speaking) - you HAVE to have the best talent there.

and... like you said. NOTHING sounds as good as a big bang bike.

BadS1 01-22-2012 11:24 AM

Gotta remember these bikes are still being developed as well and are also in the hands of guys that are getting used to a different bike even though its been two years, Whole different class of bikes and riding. People are leaving but it got to do with economy and sponsorship for a series.

BadS1 01-22-2012 11:42 AM

Tuesday 29th November 2011
So the Moto 2 and CRT guys were at Jerez allegedely the times were around:-

1m 41.1 for the Aprillia with De Puniet

1m 42.6 for the Suter BMW with Edwards

1m 43.6 for the Moto2 Suter with Redding.

Yesterday the WSB boys were there:

1m 43.6 on the BMW for Haslam

1m 43.7 on the BMW for Melandri

1m 43.8 on the BMW for Badovini

1m 43.9 on the Aprillia for Max & Eugene

1m 44.0 on the Aprillia for Chaz Davies !!

Like I said these bikes are fast. Give them time is all I can say

CYCDUP 01-22-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1126115)
for example, kenan sofuoglo and jules cluzel are both moving back to WSS. not WSB - WSS. and it's not because they couldn't stay in moto2, they're choosing to go back.

Conrice, I think Kenan & some of the others have gone back to WSS is so they can win. In WSS Kenan was a champ, in Moto2 he finished 17th place in the final standing. Just as he didn't do well in SBK. I can't blame hime for wanting to race where he feels he has a chance to be champ, but I would like to see him develop to race at the next higher level. I am sure all these guys are going where they can make the most money, which is connected to winning.

Conrice 01-23-2012 05:08 PM

but isn't moto2 "the next level"? - especially to a rider coming from world supersport? and if it isn't - it should be. and it's not as if they're the only ones ditching. many are.

i don't know... i'm just ranting... none of us know anything until we watch the first race at qatar.

CYCDUP 01-23-2012 07:56 PM

I think for WSS riders, WSBK and/or Moto2 is the next level. With the ultimate end as a MotoGP Champ. I know all the riders can't make it to MotoGP so WSBK could be the next level.

Will1000RR 01-25-2012 08:42 AM

cant wait for the 2012 Moto GP season..more riderz, more fun Lets see what spies does this yr

BadS1 01-25-2012 10:39 AM

Little heads up from our American Colin Edwards on the CRT....Suter/BMW powered bike hes riding this year.

motogp.com · Edwards speaks ahead of Sepang

Conrice 01-26-2012 07:47 AM

well it's good that he's positive.

i can't imagine having to go ride at sepang.... man.... that's gotta be a tough first couple of laps

BadS1 01-26-2012 11:14 AM

Nutella y Valentino Rossi - YouTube

ekelman 03-19-2012 06:47 AM

I would love to see Moto Gp as a prototype series. I don't like the idea of CRT bikes. That is what WSB is all about.

Let companies that want to participate do what they want without having to worry about mirroring production bikes. Then you would see development of ideas that work; but are not necessarily practical for production because of cost. The problem is that it would mean smaller starting grids.

Having said that, I'm really glad they went back to 1000cc. I think Stoner will be out to prove that he is currently still the best. Rossi will, of course, be trying as hard as he can to put himself on the top of the heap again. I wish him all the best simply because it will make for better racing. Looks to be a great season.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that, in my perfect world, there would be no TC on motogp bikes. That might bring back the lurid slides and/or wheelies coming off of corners that made the two stroke 500cc bikes so entertaining. Just a thought.

CYCDUP 03-19-2012 10:28 AM

ekelman, There is always a Pro & a Con... I agree a prototype would be the optimum, but like now the grid is getting too small. I think @ least 20 bikes is a good number. Like Moto2 there are probabally too many bikes on the grid. But to be there live, all the bike spread out keeps you entertained. Hopefully the economy will improve & all the racing will be more the merrier!

Conrice 03-20-2012 10:31 AM

well it's just going to have to be the crt way for a few years... (all crt by '13) - anyways, i'm just amped for racing.... can't wait for it to start - not too much longer....

BadS1 04-05-2012 07:00 PM

Ok things are about to kick into high gear this weekend. First qualify is up and over. No surprise Stoner is there on top. Lorenzo and then look who we have in close 3rd ??? Thats rightfolks Nicky Hayden is ducking his head in. Now lets see what tomorrow brings and I hope Rossi gets up there.
Qatar MotoGP FP1 1. Casey STONERRepsol Honda1:56.4742. Jorge LORENZOYamaha Factory Racing1:56.648-0.174 3. Nicky HAYDENDucati Team1:56.924-0.450 4. Ben SPIESYamaha Factory Racing1:56.982-0.508 5. Dani PEDROSARepsol Honda1'57.130-0.656 6. Cal CRUTCHLOWMonster Tech3 Yamaha1:57.395-0.921 7. Alvaro BAUTISTASan Carlo Honda Gresini1:57.512-1.038 8. Andrea DOVIZIOSOMonster Tech3 Yamaha1:57.547-1.073 9. Hector BARBERAPramac Racing Team1:57.912-1.438 10. Valentino ROSSIDucati Team1:57.914-1.440 11. Karel ABRAHAMCardion AB Motoracing1:57.939-1.465 12. Stefan BRADLLCR Honda1:58.934-2.460 13. Randy DE PUNIETPower Electronics Aspar1:59.985-3.511 14. Colin EDWARDSNGM Forward Racing2:00.044-3.570 15. Michele PIRROSan Carlo Honda Gresini2:00.322-3.848 16. Aleix ESPARGAROPower Electronics Aspar2:00.720-4.246 17. Ivan SILVAAvintia Racing2:01.138-4.664 18. Mattia PASINISpeed Master Team2:01.261-4.787 19. Yonny HERNANDEZAvintia Racing2:01.276-4.802 20. Danilo PETRUCCICAME Ioda Racing Project2:01.3524.878 21. James ELLISONPaul Bird Motorsport2:03.421-6.947

Conrice 04-06-2012 12:06 PM

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/othe...a7baf3-371.gif

mx-4-2 04-08-2012 05:07 PM

Great racing today. Looks like the Honda Repsol team will be strong in both motogp and gp2. Should be a great season!

justasquid 04-09-2012 02:41 AM

Yeah, it was a good race. It sure looked like Stoner was going to run away with it, but looks like he couldn't keep his tires. Its definately a good race to see where everyone is at, but the conditions aren't what they will be seeing the rest of the year. I was most impressed with Hayden. (probably because he is still one of my favorite riders) Even though he fell a few spots, he certainly seemed more aggressive than he normally is. I'm not sure if its due to the new chassis and they have things finally worked out, or if he is just becoming a more aggressive rider. Either way, Im glad. Kind of shocked that Spies and Rossi did so poorly. I didn't see what happened with either of them. I'm not sure if they just had issues with tires or what the deal was. I really thought Spies would have been in the mix.

Oh yeah, I don't agree with the new class either. There are plenty of those classes all over. MotoGP is supposed to be the pinacle of racing to show what machines are supposed to be capable of. Could you imagine if we took Nascar and made it with modded consumer cars? I think its going to be more competitive, but less desireable to watch.

Conrice 04-09-2012 09:47 AM

hell ya that was a great race. i'm glad jlo won, even though i'm (obviously) a honda fan and a huge casey stoner fan - it was nice to see someone else win.

justasquid, i too was cheering on hayden, and i thought he looked really great out there. he qualified really well (especially compared to rossi), and then fought the whole race. he looked like he was managing his tires really well.

i think rossi struggled and didn't have a set-up. and although speed said spies was okay after getting his arm stuck on the bike during that crash, maybe that came back to hurt him in the race.

i was also surprised by how well tech3 did too - and mainly cal. i'm glad and looking forward to seeing him be up at the front.

did anyone see the braking indicators on his (cal's) helmet reflecting when he got to the end of the front straight? and how good did those rotors look all red hot? that's one of the things i like most about qatar. you can see so much more in the dark.

BadS1 04-09-2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1148064)
hell ya that was a great race. i'm glad jlo won, even though i'm (obviously) a honda fan and a huge casey stoner fan - it was nice to see someone else win.

justasquid, i too was cheering on hayden, and i thought he looked really great out there. he qualified really well (especially compared to rossi), and then fought the whole race. he looked like he was managing his tires really well.

i think rossi struggled and didn't have a set-up. and although speed said spies was okay after getting his arm stuck on the bike during that crash, maybe that came back to hurt him in the race.

i was also surprised by how well tech3 did too - and mainly cal. i'm glad and looking forward to seeing him be up at the front.

did anyone see the braking indicators on his (cal's) helmet reflecting when he got to the end of the front straight? and how good did those rotors look all red hot? that's one of the things i like most about qatar. you can see so much more in the dark.

Spies had set up issues to what he has announced. Rossi is very much struggling with the bike. The rear tire was pushing and new tires were no good under braking. That got better after the tire wore. Hayden had some of the same problem. I'd like to see Ducati improve but if not....... I'd like to see Rossi leave and get on a bike that will suit him.

tucsondude 04-10-2012 02:35 AM

~lap 18 ~1:23(stoner?)
Lap 21 ~1:15
Lap 22 ~1:05 (final lap, lorenzo)
:icon_eek:

pretty sure I saw those numbers.

picked up 18 seconds/lap in the last few laps? was that just majorly saving the tires.