Road Racing Tell your stories here.

how to lean !

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to lean !

okay .. i always watch moto gp and i can't figure out how smooth they make it look. What key factors go into turning besides looking threw ! practice makes perfect-

Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Default RE: how to lean !

Crashing makes perfect.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 AM

practice does make perfect but I can promise you none of the MotoGP riders practice on the street
if you've been riding for a while do a track school or even just a trackday, you'll learn a hell of a lot more than anybody on here can tell you

also get the book Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch
its real world explanations of the techniques used in racing and how they apply to street riding and trackdays, awesome book with some cool pictures too

oh and to actually semi-answer your question (again without having a clue of your skill level):

before braking for a corner you move your butt off the seat towards the inside of the corner ahead (most make the mistake of waiting until they start turning in but if you do that, you'll be moving around on the bike as your changing direction which causes unnecessary steering inputs and upsets the suspension more than you want to be doing while turning).Then begin braking and downshifting (its adviseable to not do both at the same time until you've mastered both seperately). As you aproach the turn-in point, gradually release pressure on the brake (not abruptly) and begin looking through the turn. At the turn in point TURN IN. To turn in you will use counterstearing obviously but also using your inside foot on the footpeg (the ***** of your foot should be on the tip of the footpeg, NOT the middle of your foot, this will keep your toes from dragging the ground and give you a bit more ground clearance) Your body should be already off the bike a little but as you lean into the turn, your body should line up exactly parallel with the bike, meaning your head and butt should both be off to the inside of the bike. Many riders have a tendency to get their but off the seat but keep their head directly above the gas tank, which defeats the purpose of leaning off entirely, I'll throw in a pic of my riding position (yes tahoe I saw the other thread and I do suck... lol).
Anyway, between the turn in point and the apex point of the corner you can continue to use a little pressure on the brakes, decreasingly until no pressure is applied at all by the apex point. Maintenance throttle is another tricky aspect to learn. If you shut the throttle off completely going into a corner, especially if trail braking, a lot of weight is on the front end and very little weight is on the rear end of the bike. Applying a very slight amount of throttle all the way through the corner, puts some weight on the rear so it can keep traction and takes some of the weight off the front. Its something that, like trail braking, requires a good bit of practice. At the apex point, you should be off of the brakes and start gradually getting on the gas. If you wait too long to get on the gas, you will be losing ground and depending on the corner can very likely wind up outside of the powerband but if you do it too early, you may get a free flight to the nearest gravel pit (or light pole, building, ditch, fence, oncoming traffic, etc if your practicing this on the street like I already said not to...) The bike will pick itself up as you accelerate, there isn't really a lot of steering input needed for this part, its just kinda natural.That willallow you to use more throttle as the bike gets back upright and on the meat of the tire, as your doing this the bike willdrift towards the exit point. The proper line is critical in any corner, if you apex too early, you won't make the exit point and will either have to slow down when you should be accelerating, or you'll run off track (or worse). If you apex too late, you'll have to slow down too much and won't carry the bike out to the exit point which means your not using all of the track and basically you just wasted a second or more.

Downshifting and braking is critical on the track because obviously if you don't do it righ

Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 AM

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 AM

Squids!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 PM

hacking's not a squid! he can barely do a burnout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlKBdggOVI

lol!

thats the one thing squids are usually good at!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Take me! I wanna do the corkscrew.But I thought that was video of burnouts. Maybe CBRS GONE MAD.
WOODY
if you've been riding for a while do a track school or even just a trackday, you'll learn a hell of a lot more than anybody on here can tell you
Before I drag this any further off topic nothing more to add that hasn't been said on other posts.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 PM

I would look for a good book to start I just picked up "Total Control, High performance street riding techniques" yesterday and it is loaded with stuff I had no idea about. Like countersteering. Simply amazing how pushing the inside handlebar the opposite direction of your turn makes the bike lean as far as you want it

Old 02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: silvr002001

I would look for a good book to start I just picked up "Total Control, High performance street riding techniques" yesterday and it is loaded with stuff I had no idea about. Like countersteering. Simply amazing how pushing the inside handlebar the opposite direction of your turn makes the bike lean as far as you want it
Another reason that every rider should take the MSF course, it's covered during the first hour of the first day.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 PM

+1. The MSF will not have you draggin a knee but it will give you the stepping stones. You can take the EMSF too. Thats pretty cool as well.

As far as those pictures go, screw that, I would be against the guard rail, lol.

Quick Reply: how to lean !