Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

tire slip in the cold!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire slip in the cold!

it's about 30 degrees consistently in iowa around this time of year. at what temperature will my tires start to have good grip again? is it warmer weather or hot weather.. i mean like 50ish degress or 70ish degrees?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 AM

I rode my 250 with Pirelli sport demon tires in 35- 45 degree weather and they felt fine. That's the only real experience I have with cold weather. A 900 will spin a warm tire depending on its psi and your right hand.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 AM

ok sorry i shouldve specified. i own a 97 900rr and ive been working on wheelies. i find the colder it gets that when i drop the clutch it just spins out instead of poping up to hit the balance point. so that's why i'm looking for decent grip ;p 250's lack the power to burn out well in my opinion. usually its an accident

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok you have asked the same question in 3 different threads now and have got the same answer in all three.

When your tires are cold they spin....

Why do you think every vehicle does a burnout before running a 1/4 mile?

Every bike have tire warmers on before a big race?

The only cures for this are buy a set of tire warmers and put them on before you go out (The will probably be cold again by the time you get to where you want to go or do a burnout right before you try to wheelie (Of course on a closed course)

End Thread(s)/

Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Ok you have asked the same question in 3 different threads now and have got the same answer in all three.

When your tires are cold they spin....

Why do you think every vehicle does a burnout before running a 1/4 mile?

Every bike have tire warmers on before a big race?

The only cures for this are buy a set of tire warmers and put them on before you go out (The will probably be cold again by the time you get to where you want to go or do a burnout right before you try to wheelie (Of course on a closed course)

End Thread(s)/
twice. and it's the same category just a different question. i just want to know what prime riding weather is. i don't want to degrade my tires or spend more money. and i was looking for an answer more specific then summer.
thanks for somewhat answering my question even though it was a little condescending.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam and corona
twice. and it's the same category just a different question. i just want to know what prime riding weather is. i don't want to degrade my tires or spend more money. and i was looking for an answer more specific then summer.
thanks for somewhat answering my question even though it was a little condescending.

There is no exact temperature or date that your tires won't spin.
If your tires spin the first time you try, then stop trying... It really isn't that difficult.

You question has been answered by at least 5 forum members and you just seem if you ignore the answer than you might get a better answer.

If you want to do wheelies at this time of the year, your only 2 options are get tire warmers (Way overkill) or do a burnout first to warm up your tire (Which really doesn't help in saving your tires).

I would assume you would have to wait at least till 5-10 celsius or whenever the road warms up.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Bro

I went out riding yesterday on my cbr600f4i and it was about 38 degrees in illinois and I had no problem with wheel spin at all

Old 03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I recommened waiting till spring before trying something stupid? The weather is far from ideal for trying to learn a new skill. And it's not just ambient temperature that matters here. Ground temp is playing a huge factor too.

It's a pain in the *** getting tires up to temp right now. If I break Yolie out right now, I take her really easy. I'm mostly riding to work and it's near impossible to get my tires warm enough that I'd trust them for any serious maneuvers

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM

thanks! 5-10 degrees Celsius. ill check out what that translates to in F. i have a fairly good grasp on the wheelie. bought a sh*& bike and looped it a couple of times but found the balance point. wasn't too rough. still working on riding one at high speeds. not very hard though. i don't really see the need or care for that. sorry if i have offended anyone with rewriting a similar question. i just wanted a more specific answer. and rather then speculate on it i figured i'd ask again.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a good rule of thumb:

If you won't take a turn at max lean under some conditions, don't do anything else that demands that much traction. Stoppies, wheelies even emergency braking. Right now, riders in colder climates need to leave more space between them and things in front because of cold tires + cold pavement. Especially if riding in the city.

It's almost impossible to generate and sustain heat between stop lights

Quick Reply: tire slip in the cold!