Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Tank slapper discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfisher
T

There are really only 3 ways to deal with this: adding a damper, snorting kryptonite to gain superhuman reflex speeds, or relaxing your control on the bars.

Pull up to your local drug dealer and ask for kryptonite. Even HE will tell you to lay off the drugs. lol

Old 06-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done it several times as well. I just stayed relax,kept my hands loose from the bars while still holding it and maintain gas/speed up a weee bit. It would balance itself in a heart beat.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 PM

I have had lots of tank slappers (my local track is pretty bumper). what I find works is leaving it pinned or pinning it and relaxing your grip on the bars. steering dampers are good but don't always stop them (had a massive one on the weekend on a gsxr600 that had a stock damper, I have also broken an olhins damper from one too).

something nobody has said is that if you have a bad slapper to pump your brakes before you need them because it can push your front brake pads out.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:47 PM

definitly agree on the gsxr600 dampers blowing *****, but not quite sure about the last thing you said on pumping the brakes before you need them? wtf you talking about?

Originally Posted by redhead
I have had lots of tank slappers (my local track is pretty bumper). what I find works is leaving it pinned or pinning it and relaxing your grip on the bars. steering dampers are good but don't always stop them (had a massive one on the weekend on a gsxr600 that had a stock damper, I have also broken an olhins damper from one too).

something nobody has said is that if you have a bad slapper to pump your brakes before you need them because it can push your front brake pads out.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9lives
definitly agree on the gsxr600 dampers blowing *****, but not quite sure about the last thing you said on pumping the brakes before you need them? wtf you talking about?
I'm guessing that he's saying the tank slap's motion pushes the pistons out on your brake calipers.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 AM

only ridden about 300 miles so far and this kinda happened to me this weekend... hit a patch of highway (it was raining) they had put curved grooves in for about 100 yards (idk y)... i just held on really tight (which i see was the wrong thing to do) but i didnt try to counter steer... scared the s... out of me but like mentioned earlier, makes you feel a live when your out of it...

Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taznut
only ridden about 300 miles so far and this kinda happened to me this weekend... hit a patch of highway (it was raining) they had put curved grooves in for about 100 yards (idk y)... i just held on really tight (which i see was the wrong thing to do) but i didnt try to counter steer... scared the s... out of me but like mentioned earlier, makes you feel a live when your out of it...
the roads here have those around every corner, it's a farkin pita. those grooves are to keep the road from cracking when it expands/contracts from different seasons... from what i hear.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I'm guessing that he's saying the tank slap's motion pushes the pistons out on your brake calipers.
yes that is what I'm saying and it can take 2 or 3 pumps of the lever to get any pressure

Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Krux
Done it several times as well. I just stayed relax,kept my hands loose from the bars while still holding it and maintain gas/speed up a weee bit. It would balance itself in a heart beat.
I dont get it, have you people watched the vid at the begining of this thread?
just tell me HOW in the hell you keep calm and relaxed in a situation that severe? I'd crap my pants

Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aussiephoenix
I dont get it, have you people watched the vid at the begining of this thread?
just tell me HOW in the hell you keep calm and relaxed in a situation that severe? I'd crap my pants
I wont say a bad slapper isn't scary, but if you know what to do you tell yourself to do it. ie relax and stay on the gas.
everytime I have crashed is because I have freaked out and do something that I shouldn't have.

Quick Reply: Tank slapper discussion