Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Motorcycle accident statistics

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest, seeing as though more than 2/3 of motorcycle accidents are caused by the other driver, that All licensed (Including motorcyclists and vehicles) should take a motorcyclist awareness safety course. I personally believe that this would greatly reduce the statistics of motorcycle accidents 10 fold. This is an idea I've had for quite some time.

TAKE IT TO THE GOVERNMENT AND GET IT PASSED!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ride to expect worst case scenario...make it a habit and assume those other driver Don't see you....expect them to you something stupid like cutting you off with a illegal left turn...always gear up even if a short ride to the convenient store. Last but not least ....luck really plays a roll...if you're not feeling it...just take the car that day...

Guess we just have to do everything possible to less our chances of being in an accident...some controversial regarding a louder pipe like Harley? But depending where you live? May help or may not...

Great info link BTW....very humbling to keep in mind when riding.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 PM

....Be careful asking government to keep us safe. We'll be riding in two wheeled tanks. Gold wings have air bags I hear. I dont want all that on my bike. It's up to us to ride safe, fully conscious and aware. It's dangerous and bad stuff can happen really quick. When I am riding I don't want a drink, I'm already in heaven. I ride for me (often alone) not impressing anybody but my soul. I can drift around or scorch the edge of my tires, it's my call based on how I feel. Don't 'jam' in traffic, especially on city streets. Gear up !!...just in case.. <<< this guy is on the cell, or drunk/stoned/doing their hair/searching for something that fell on the passenger side floor....

Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by grendl
....Be careful asking government to keep us safe. We'll be riding in two wheeled tanks. Gold wings have air bags I hear. I dont want all that on my bike. It's up to us to ride safe, fully conscious and aware. It's dangerous and bad stuff can happen really quick. When I am riding I don't want a drink, I'm already in heaven. I ride for me (often alone) not impressing anybody but my soul. I can drift around or scorch the edge of my tires, it's my call based on how I feel. Don't 'jam' in traffic, especially on city streets. Gear up !!...just in case.. <<< this guy is on the cell, or drunk/stoned/doing their hair/searching for something that fell on the passenger side floor....
That is very true. And yeah some goldwings do have the airbags, but the idea is good. Its amazing how effective they are for being on a motorcycle. But needless to say, I don't want all that around my gauge cluster.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by axehind
Some interesting (to me) stats were...

44. The most deadly injuries to the accident victims were injuries to the chest and head.
how interesting.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
how interesting.
agreed.

I wonder if the data collected where from passengers/drivers not wearing helmets otherwise what gives....

Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 PM
MZ5

More likely, the reason is that injuries to the chest or head are the only ones that _can_ be fatal, short of cutting a femoral artery or something. When was the last time someone died because of a dislocated shoulder?

Obviously, I'm exaggerating to make a point, but not much. You die because of massive trauma. Breaking your back or neck counts, but that's a whole lot tougher to do riding on the street than hitting your head or chest on something solid (like another car). Massive trauma really only happens when the torso or head are involved (and since you're rarely traveling backwards at speed on the road, chest=torso).

Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
More likely, the reason is that injuries to the chest or head are the only ones that _can_ be fatal, short of cutting a femoral artery or something. When was the last time someone died because of a dislocated shoulder?

Obviously, I'm exaggerating to make a point, but not much. You die because of massive trauma. Breaking your back or neck counts, but that's a whole lot tougher to do riding on the street than hitting your head or chest on something solid (like another car). Massive trauma really only happens when the torso or head are involved (and since you're rarely traveling backwards at speed on the road, chest=torso).
Eh, makes sense. I wonder how skewed the statistics would be if they actually counted every single motorcycle crash, down to the T.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:57 AM

In my neck of the woods, its mostly harley riders that are reported killed or injured. I see them all the time riding without helmets...I just shake my head at them.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle accident statistics